Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Glimpse of Our Future?

pr. dim-melb; m not f

A Glimpse of Our Future?

Tom Harley has these comments about Brendan Goddard in a preview of the GF:
    Goddard was one of the prime reasons that St Kilda was able to earn the week's break in this finals campaign. He is the most versatile player in the game. At stages this year he has played down back, in the midfield and up forward; all to devastating effect. It is Goddard's ability to kick the ball at such velocity and precision that separates him from most. In the midfield, he provides a physical presence and ruthlessness more akin to a player of less exquisite skill. Goddard left to his own devices is lethal.
    I wonder if he could be describing Gary Rohan in a season or two?
    From here: Tom Harley previews the grand final
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    For a number of seasons Goddard was a bit disappointing for a No.1 pick but suddenly filled out, developed real confidence and became the player he is today.

Lots of time on his side and everyting seems to be thre so it will be very interesting to see what type of player Rohan develops into. - I'm excited!!

I think they are different players. Rohan i think has the potential to be more like goodes. I dont think he will ever be a great kick (goddard was always a very good kick) but he will be tall and incredibly quick -( touching wood that nothing untoward happens) which means he will be virtually impossible to match up on.

Watching Goddard last night, the thing I really liked about him is that he isn't flashy, doesn't try to draw attention to himself-- he is just good at getting the pill, and extremely good at hurting the opposition when he does get it. He plays the team game; he doesn't scream out, 'I'm a #1 draft pick, look how talented and clever I am'.

While, as Mh has rightly noted, Rohan's strengths and weaknesses aren't identical to Goddard's, sure: he could become as good as him. Dare to dream: why not better?

But bear in mind that as late as 2007/8, some were still calling the #1 2002 ND pick an underachiever and a disappointment (and for that matter, much the same was being said of the #5 2002 ND pick by certain R&W fans through to the end of 2007), we have to not rush the kid. For some early physical developers with great natural talent, being able to force yourself into the best 22 of your AFL club happens early in your career. But for pretty much everybody, excelling at that level and stamping yourself as a champion, takes time. Serious time.

Well said, Simon.

I always cringe a bit when someone says "he'll be the next x" (where x is a star) because I think it puts pressure on that player that may hinder their development. How many times have we heard the NSW Media label some young kid who handles a bat pretty well as "the next Don Bradman"? Way too many for my liking, and it can't be good for them. Let's just let Rohan develop into a role that suits him, not anyone else, and enjoy him for who he is. No one could have labelled Goodes the next anything - he carved his own niche position/role on the field. Why can't Rohan do the same?
    10100111001 ;-)

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by laughingnome View Post
    Well said, Simon.

I always cringe a bit when someone says "he'll be the next x" (where x is a star) because I think it puts pressure on that player that may hinder their development. How many times have we heard the NSW Media label some young kid who handles a bat pretty well as "the next Don Bradman"? Way too many for my liking, and it can't be good for them. Let's just let Rohan develop into a role that suits him, not anyone else, and enjoy him for who he is. No one could have labelled Goodes the next anything - he carved his own niche position/role on the field. Why can't Rohan do the same?
    I'm hoping Rohan will do exactly that. I raised the question in the first place because the comparison was made elsewhere (can't recall by whom) on the basis of Goddard's versatility - forward, back, midfield - and Rohan has already shown promise in that respect. I look forward to seeing him develop; whichever way he goes, I'm confident we're on a winner.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

They both have red hair
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

Goddard is pretty damn good in the air - always has been really - and loves to go for a fly. Does Rohan have this natural talent? I absolutely love his efforts around the ground (he is a brave kid), but I can't say that I have seen him really launch himself skyward in the seniors as yet. I would be interested to know (from those who have watched some reserves matches) whether he has shown anything in this regard while playing in the twos.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    Goddard is pretty damn good in the air - always has been really - and loves to go for a fly. Does Rohan have this natural talent? I absolutely love his efforts around the ground (he is a brave kid), but I can't say that I have seen him really launch himself skyward in the seniors as yet. I would be interested to know (from those who have watched some reserves matches) whether he has shown anything in this regard while playing in the twos.
    He's definitely got a good natural vertical leap. He took a speccy in a game in last year's U18 championship, and while he's not done that yet in R&W, he's shown himself to be a solid overhead mark (in senior games as well as reserve).

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It wasn't his only sporting accomplishment: last month he won the 18-20 state high jump title (he finished second in the 200 metres by a smidgen).
    Obviously a slightly different type of jumping method, but shows he has a fair bit of spring in the legs- it's pretty staggering to put together coming first in high jump and second in 200m at u20 state level whilst training for/playing TAC Cup. I daresay he didn't have too much time left for athletics training, and most people performing that well in that age group at State level would have to focus very heavily on their athletics.
    http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews...219969377.html
    Last edited by stellation; 21st September 2010 at 09:47 AM.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    I think they are different players. Rohan i think has the potential to be more like goodes. I dont think he will ever be a great kick (goddard was always a very good kick) but he will be tall and incredibly quick -( touching wood that nothing untoward happens) which means he will be virtually impossible to match up on.
    best kick for accuracy at the draft 73%...........not bad
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Rohan doesn't seem to me to be huuuuugely aerial (though he's no slouch), but he does have a case of the telescopic arms. Even if outbodied or outsized, sometimes he just sticks his hands out and they get closer to the ball than his opponent's, and the ball sticks. Kind of like Brad Fisher at Carlton (who, despite a lack of any other particular footballing qualities, is incredible at this particular skill; it's the only reason he's still on a list).
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast