Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Jesse White being kept as a secret weapon?

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by supersall View Post
    Good to see, and good on him, I hope he has a blinder wherever he plays. It has been said many times in this forum that he has the ingredients - size, pace, agility, eagerness, good hands, above-average accuracy as a kick - all he needs is to bring them together more often. Jesse firing on all cylinders would take two defenders and have a good chance of beating them.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I'm hoping for a big season from Jesse this year. He is in peak condition and fitness. I have seen him a few times training in the last month, the last being 9am of the morning of the fans day, running laps around Lakeside.

In fact it would be great if he and LJ could do some sort of combo as did Braddy and Big Jonathan B.

Even the AFL is selling packages for $177 per person ex Sydney this game. Received my email from them yesterday.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

We need to see a four-quarter effort from him pretty regularly this year. He does great stuff for five minutes then goes missing.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Quote Originally Posted by Quiet_Observer View Post
    ?It has been quite hard. I?d just got right back into it, head down and bum up after recovering from the shoulder, when I did the ankle,?? he said

Now I see why he usually had a problem with his marks. Pointing his bum skyward may well scare the defender as well as most spectators behind the goal posts but with your head down you won't even see the ball.
    Thanks for that Q, you have made my day.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by supersall View Post
    ^ made my week.

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Good to see, and good on him, I hope he has a blinder wherever he plays. It has been said many times in this forum that he has the ingredients - size, pace, agility, eagerness, good hands, above-average accuracy as a kick - all he needs is to bring them together more often. Jesse firing on all cylinders would take two defenders and have a good chance of beating them.
    Best day was when he was crashing packs against Hawthorn. He was going up with 3 others and all three where lying on the ground scattered afterwards. Once he starts to be more aggressive in the contests we'll start to see results. The kid is a giant. He just needs to go harder at the ball. Not sure if it's a basketball thing from his young days where knocking people over isn't quite allowed but Jesse has to start getting forceful. Use the force Jesse.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think the coaching staff need to sit down with Jesse and break his game down into quarters and just look for him to do X good things per quarter and give him clear cut expectations of what those good things include- I imagine they are already doing this, of course. Just make sure that those dozen good things aren't kicking a goal or taking a mark but more get to a contest at full tilt, tackle, strong sheperd, hard lead, double lead, etc. Just simple things to keep him focused all game, broken down into quarters- I don't expect he will be there on the field counting, but it gives a clear target to talk to when reviewing match tape.

For what it's worth, I think even on the games where he appears to go missing he'd probably tick a suprising number of boxes for good things through a game when they view his match tape already.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nich View Post
    Best day was when he was crashing packs against Hawthorn. He was going up with 3 others and all three where lying on the ground scattered afterwards. Once he starts to be more aggressive in the contests we'll start to see results. The kid is a giant. He just needs to go harder at the ball. Not sure if it's a basketball thing from his young days where knocking people over isn't quite allowed but Jesse has to start getting forceful. Use the force Jesse.
    It's interesting, I don't think he's afraid of contact in the slightest- I've certainly seen him back into packs/willing take a hit he knows is coming to get off clean disposal etc. ; I honestly think that the big guy might be a bit of a softy on the inside and simply doesn't want to hurt anyone.

I've definitely seen him pull out of big hits he could put on people because they'd already got rid of the ball and there was no point.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

White isn't afraid of contact, but sometimes he's just doesn't look confident that crashing the pack is the right move. It's indecision, rather than fear.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    White isn't afraid of contact, but sometimes he's just doesn't look confident that crashing the pack is the right move. It's indecision, rather than fear.
    You've hit the nail right on the head! Luckily this problem tends to go with age and experience. If undecided its better to go with your first instinct but to do this you must be confident in your self. "trying too hard" is another symptom of a player lacking confidence. 100 games should cure it for Jesse. Certainly Leo Barry had no problem launching for a pack mark in the last few seconds of a GF. If he had been indecisive.........?????

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    You've hit the nail right on the head! Luckily this problem tends to go with age and experience. If undecided its better to go with your first instinct but to do this you must be confident in your self. "trying too hard" is another symptom of a player lacking confidence. 100 games should cure it for Jesse. Certainly Leo Barry had no problem launching for a pack mark in the last few seconds of a GF. If he had been indecisive.........?????
    Don't even go there
    I'm not arrogant, I'm right

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    with apologies to rick springfield and cory monteith:

Jesse is a friend, yeah I know he's been a good friend of mine
    But lately something's changed, that ain't hard to define
    He's kicking lots of goals and doesn't kick behinds

(Now where was that old thread where people made up their own Swans-related lyrics to well-known songs?? Attempted a search but no luck)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast