Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Post Game Analysis against Cats / reality check

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    When Reid first got the ball, McGlynn was jumping up and down in the goalsquare miles in the clear.
    That summed up our night that piece of play. Reid looked up quickly enough but took a few seconds to think about it then completely sprayed a kick. Just needed to put his boot through it straight away and McGlynn was in acres of space with no Cats players anywhere near him.

Again I criticise the apparent lack of a clear forward set up for the midfield to aim at - either by chipping it up, or by a long bomb-in-hope.

All forgiven, and will improve, but surprising given the new coach has the forward experience.

I thought the defence line did pretty well, particularly given 3 key people missing. LRT would have been a better match on the Pod, enabling Teddy to do his magic a la Scarlett as a loose man; Malceski and Kennelly would have been the experience to help the rebound (and I ignore Bolton who is out now for 2011). I thought the mid field showed enormous resolve - sure some skill errors, but tackling and extracting were tremendous.

The PLAN A for the forwards seems to involve Reid and White, and I believe at least one of them should be up front and available all the time. But, White goes off to Ruck (or goes missing too much) and Reid seems to get dragged away too much. My beef was that it was Reid (trying) to deliver to Mc Glynn - it should have been the other way around!

Pushing for Selection
    Allowing Scarlett to be the loose man in defence was a disaster and poor coaching, he should have been made accountable at some point in the second half.

Overall ,thought our team tried very hard in the difficult conditions .Looking at the stats it appears the newer players lacked the experience playing in the wet

Quote Originally Posted by Brettb View Post
    Allowing Scarlett to be the loose man in defence was a disaster and poor coaching, he should have been made accountable at some point in the second half.
    i agree Brettb but we needed to stop the kicks over the top forward to anyone then Scarlett would have had to man up more
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Scarlett has toweled up nearly everyone he has played on, even BBB as I have mentioned somewhere else. Its no wonder he did a job on Saturday night. Admittedly he should have perhaps been double teamed, but its been a hell of a learning curve and a hell of a reality check. We are going to have some mighty choices of FF in the near future, but not this day. They have a bye, a lot of time on the track between gigs, I expect to see a difference.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    We are building a side at the moment with a lot of new faces so we will get nights like Sat night especially against the very good sides. If we're playing like that next year I'll be less tolerant but this year I'll put up with some poor performances.
    Yeah agree....not sure if anyone else has mentioned this but there was a telling stat the other night that one of the commentators said, cant remember who though, think it was tim lane. Anyway 11 players out of the swans team had played 50 games or less (could that be correct? I was quite surprised) while geelong only had 1-2 players in this catergory. Sure we could of played better but thats gonna make it tough to win with that comparison. I didnt expect to win, geelong are still a great team and we are still a fair way off them.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by msb View Post
    Yeah agree....not sure if anyone else has mentioned this but there was a telling stat the other night that one of the commentators said, cant remember who though, think it was tim lane. Anyway 11 players out of the swans team had played 50 games or less (could that be correct? I was quite surprised) while geelong only had 1-2 players in this catergory. Sure we could of played better but thats gonna make it tough to win with that comparison. I didnt expect to win, geelong are still a great team and we are still a fair way off them.
    See post #52. It was Horse. (or maybe a commentator said it too I still haven't had the energy to watch the game on TV. To get the true atmosphere I'd have to lug the set into the shower with me.)

Got beaten by a better side in conditions that clearly didn't suit us. It happens. We played poorly and were right in the game early in the last quarter so it's not all doom and gloom as far as I'm concerned.

Got a few players down on form and a few to come back. We'll get better as the season goes on and we've got a couple of wins in the bank when we should've/could've lost so I'm still pretty positive.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

The Daily Terror is saying up to 4 changes. Kennelly and Moore to return and suggesting Mike take over from Jesse. I would like to see that happen. Jesse has not taken opportunity of his 4 starts and back to the reserves until he learns. That's if Iron Mike ever lets him back into the team.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Regular in the Side
    We are a pretty ordinary team with AWFUL ball skills...we were carried away with not very much (if I was an Essendon supporter I would have been blaming the umpire)...not impressed with the job or pro activity of the coaching at this early stage...Everitt is basically ordinary & has no place near a back line.

The reality is our disposal efficiency is awful, our team lacked the experience and hardness to handle the wet conditions, our forward line structure completely broke down, our back line is being single-handedly held together by Teddy and our coaching staff made massive blunders (Scarlett).

It should be noted though that our skills can be worked on over the next week, our youngsters can get a little breather and make some room for our highly missed seniors and the coaching staff can dissect and improve on where we went wrong and how we will annihilate Carltank in a couple of weeks.

I'm normally one of those people you can't stand losing and gets really riled up about how we screwed up in the game, but this time I'm quite calm in accepting that the cats are better than us at this moment. Why? Becasue I'm secure in the knowledge that we have the improvement in us to beat them or at least get might close later in the year.

The REALITY IS if it wasn't for us completely butchering the ball we would have beat them on Saturday and no one can convince me otherwise.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast