Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 7 v Bulldogs (Nipper Gordon to debut!)

Regular in the Side
    disappointed that NG in and not LP. Parker was picked in the draft and he has been emergenvy for a couple of games. Gordon is a Rookie and who is on the LONG TERM INJURY LIST for him. Parker has been playing well in the 2's and while Nathan has also played well I believe that a draftee is better placed to play than a rookie.
    Also diappointed that LJ has not been included.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    disappointed that NG in and not LP. Parker was picked in the draft and he has been emergenvy for a couple of games. Gordon is a Rookie and who is on the LONG TERM INJURY LIST for him. Parker has been playing well in the 2's and while Nathan has also played well I believe that a draftee is better placed to play than a rookie.
    While it would be great to see Parker - Gordon is ahead of him in terms of Swans development. Gordon has been at the club for 4 years, obviously has great run (top 2 in almost every trial pre season) and has by all accounts improved his consistency and disposal this year. One presumes Craig Bolton's retirement opened the door for his elevation so it's likely he'll stay on the senior list all year.

I'm excited to see Parker in the future and i'm sure he'll get a game soon but i don't see any reason why he's above Gordon - and the Swans coaches obviously think the same thing. They've shown that they will reward youngsters with games in the seniors this year so have a little faith that when Parker and Johnston are ready - they'll be included.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Footscray have some Talls in their team - Forwards listed are Minson 199 (FF), Hill 199, Jones 197, (CHF), Grant 192 (pocket) + Hudson at 199 rucking.

Our boys will be stretched (to make a pun)
    Wrong Hill. It's Josh not Tom

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    Once they are at the club I would hope that how they got to the club whether as a first round draft pick or a rookie list pick plays no bearing on their selection chances. We have had great success in promoting players off the rookie list Kirk, Grundy, Jack, Kennelly, Pyke, Smith, Bevan and guys like Mumford, McGlynn and Jolly were rookie listed players at oher clubs

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Wrong Hill. It's Josh not Tom
    Thank goodness for that, I was trying to work out how Josh and Minson were the same size!

Surely with no Baz and no Lake this is our game for the taking. Don't be mislead by the media, I thought the Dogs were ordinary for all but about 20 mins last week vs the Pies. If we're dinkum about 2011 this must be the sort of game we win.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    Now that's ironic.
    Sure is! Thats what I thought! Its a bit like Eddie the Eagle coaching Olympic ski jumpers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    Sure is! Thats what I thought! Its a bit like Eddie the Eagle coaching Olympic ski jumpers.
    Might be ironic but based on the Reserves games i've seen Henry is spot on It's a part of TDL's game that has to improve and since he's a class player, I'm sure it will.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by alison.z View Post
    While it would be great to see Parker - Gordon is ahead of him in terms of Swans development. Gordon has been at the club for 4 years, obviously has great run (top 2 in almost every trial pre season) and has by all accounts improved his consistency and disposal this year. One presumes Craig Bolton's retirement opened the door for his elevation so it's likely he'll stay on the senior list all year.

I'm excited to see Parker in the future and i'm sure he'll get a game soon but i don't see any reason why he's above Gordon - and the Swans coaches obviously think the same thing. They've shown that they will reward youngsters with games in the seniors this year so have a little faith that when Parker and Johnston are ready - they'll be included.
    Eggsactly.

While I didn't necessarily see Gordon's selection coming (prior to coaches' comments earlier this week) it does make sense. I imagine he'll be given a run-wtih role on an outsidish player, and if there is one thing Gordon can do, it is run all day. He's not as quick as Jack but he's certainly quick enough to stick with most players in the league. Whether he is smart enough we'll find out on Saturday.

I wonder if they'll run him with Griffen for part of the game. That would be quite a big ask for a player on debut but, physically at least, Gordon is probably equipped to do the task.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Might be ironic but it doesn't make Henry wrong. It's a part of TDL's game that has to improve and since he's a class player, I'm sure it will.
    Not to mention

a) the expectations of a 180cm forward and a 196cm forward in terms of forward pressure are - and always have been - very different.
    b) the expectations of all players to provide pressure in the forward 50 have increased significantly in the short time since Playfair retired.

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Surely with no Baz and no Lake this is our game for the taking. Don't be mislead by the media, I thought the Dogs were ordinary for all but about 20 mins last week vs the Pies. If we're dinkum about 2011 this must be the sort of game we win.
    Of for us to lose the game in the most unglorius way.

I have everything crossed that the Swans can get up and win. Thankfully it will be a dry track.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    Who will be Sub?
    I was going to say Gordon before I looked at the team selection. I would say Jetta following in the Rohan tradition. They'll set up a Pagin's paddock structure in the 4th quarter and let Lewis have a run.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Im pumped for Nipper................we are not going to win the comp in 2011

Therefore our strategy of transitioning our youth in 2011 is king.

Imagine a few of the following AJ, Jetta, Rohan, Reid, Sumner, Nipper, Parker, Lamb, LJ, TDL etc in 2012 with 10 to 15 senior games experience. Their intensity at training, offseason 2011/12 and the new belief in them self will be thru the roof. They will become players we can count on to at least play a role in the 22 minimum but better then that some will rise up and be Senior players full stop
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"