Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do they just make this stuff up?

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by NMWBloods

Hall 500
    After Roosy complaints to Eddie that Barry Hall couldn't even afford a house in Sydney, he ended up buying one a few doors down from Rodney Eade.

Veterans List
    Someone in the Melbourne media commented, when Hall said he couldn't afford a house in Sydney - "what? On $650,000 a year!"

Remember Roos said that all he'd be interested in the trade period was one or two stars "not just good players" so sounds like he wasn't too concerned about the salary cap.

I wonder if there will be any surprises at close of business today?

What a year 2005 SSFC/CFC
    IMO Hall a base of 400, more on games played and possibly goals (originally) taking it up by 50 or a 100.
    Sports do not build character. They reveal it....Heywood Broun

I always turn to the sports pages first, which record people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures......Earl Warren

I'm SO over the swans! swan_song's Avatar
    Don't worry fellas....these are probably the same journos who said we wouldn't be around after October... gee, only a couple a weeks to go...No wonder we didn't trade...
    "Davis...Davis has kicked 2...he snaps from 40...dont tell me, dont tell me, hes kicked a goal....unbelievable stuff from Nick Davis, can you believe this, he's kicked 3 final quarter goals and Swans are within 3 points..."

Senior Player
    Originally posted by swan_song
    Don't worry fellas....these are probably the same journos who said we wouldn't be around after October... gee, only a couple a weeks to go...No wonder we didn't trade...
    that was actually colless who said that...

Penga...don't you believe it...
    They make this stuff up all the time, ever since I can remember.
    I can show u a Roy Masters front page story in the SMH that categorically states the swans will fold...I can show u a piece from the murdoch press that says the swans are paying Terry Wallace...how much more do you need....
    And actually Colless didn't say that at all...
    "Davis...Davis has kicked 2...he snaps from 40...dont tell me, dont tell me, hes kicked a goal....unbelievable stuff from Nick Davis, can you believe this, he's kicked 3 final quarter goals and Swans are within 3 points..."

Senior Player
    how about the televised press conference with colless declaring that "the swans will be insolvent by october if the afl doesnt provide a one million dollar cash injection"

And actually Colless didn't say that at all...
    He did, but was taken out of context. He was talking with a reporter from the The Australian, off the record and the reporter then wrote the article. The day it came out Colless explained what he said and what he meant. Nothing in it really
    Once was, now elsewhere

Penga, ur falling for the trap here of believing what journos write...they are putting their own interpretation on events to sell their papers and do their job, nothing more. It sounds like a great story, but as with most things you read in the press, the truth is a little ways off...
    You'll find that Colless has explained the situation countless times...as far as I'm aware he never said "The Swans will fold in October" but that is the interpretation put on the story...Robbie has a grasp of it...Colless explained to the journo that money was tight, even after the cost cuttieng etc, and that without an injection of funds, estimated at 1.5m, that the club would be technically insolvent at the end of the season. THAT is a far cry from the "Swans to fold in October" ...
    That's just my point, nothing more...I'm not sticking up for RC or anyone, just stating a fact about sensationalist journalism.

as far as I'm aware he never said "The Swans will fold in October" but that is the interpretation put on the story...Colless explained to the journo that money was tight, even after the cost cuttieng etc, and that without an injection of funds, estimated at 1.5m, that the club would be technically insolvent at the end of the season. THAT is a far cry from the "Swans to fold in October" ...
    No it's not actually. If you are technically insolvent then you will fold without a cash injection. Therefore without the $1.5m, according to Colless' comments, we would fold in October, which is the end of the season.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Originally posted by NMWBloods
    No it's not actually. If you are technically insolvent then you will fold without a cash injection. Therefore without the $1.5m, according to Colless' comments, we would fold in October, which is the end of the season.
    All academic now, as our late season surge has meant the club may only be short a couple of hundred thousand instead of the million and a half originally thought.

One would hope they get membership & sponsor packages out as soon as possible and strike while the iron is hot for next year.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Sorry...I just can't make it any clearer than what Ive already said...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast