Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Draft Selections

What a year 2005 SSFC/CFC
    Flea was OK, as was Libba pre Terry 'the scratch coach' Wallace, size is not NECESSARILY the key, but it is a worry.......did the coaching staff get seduced by the NSW heritage like some posters seem to?
    Sports do not build character. They reveal it....Heywood Broun

I always turn to the sports pages first, which record people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures......Earl Warren

Senior Player
    Originally posted by BBB
    Quoted by The Mase:

Mase, you rate EVERYBODY higher than Jarrod McVeigh. I dare say you probably rate yourself higher.

Your attack/phobia on McVeigh has continued over the past 12 months. You somehow manage to get McVeigh's name into every second post and bag him!!

I find it boorish and I'm sure others do as well.

PS. Don't come back with 'didn't you see the wink emoticons'. I did, but this obsession of yours has been ongoing since the day McVeigh was touted as a possible draft choice.
    I find it interesting that you say every 2nd post involves McVeigh.

I did a interesting search and found that McVeigh has only been mentioned in 15 of my 392 post on this website.

I would also like to point out that it was the NAME McVeigh I searched and not Jarrod himself. In this case I would be picking up Mark aswell, whom I have also never rated.

I do not rate myself higher. I think McVeigh WILL make it as a footballer, for some period or another.

But I always said I thought we paid too highly with the number 5 pick as I don't ever believe that he will be a STAR.

I think there were many better options in that draft, but we were weak and went for the 'local' boy.

I am quite happy to be proven wrong, but I have never seen any star qualities in McVeigh in the past (and I played against him for more than a couple of years, in the Hunters and on the central coast when he played there).

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I do not believe that I have overly expressed mine at all.

Senior Player
    Originally posted by Rob-bloods
    .......did the coaching staff get seduced by the NSW heritage like some posters seem to?
    Yes

Senior Player
    Originally posted by BBB

PS. Don't come back with 'didn't you see the wink emoticons'. I did, but this obsession of yours has been ongoing since the day McVeigh was touted as a possible draft choice.
    By the way, the reference to Nick Potter being better than McVeigh was a joke. Although after seeing Nick Potter, he is certainly well built in comparison.

Not saying he will be better, but he is certainly worth selecting.
    The advantage we may have with the NSW players this year, is the clubs would have seen less of them because the NSWACT Rams no longer play full time in the TAC Cup.

Probably gives us an advantage as to who is good and who isn't.

Regular in the Side
    I still can't believe we didn't take Salopek. And Scott Stevens was our top pick 3 or so years ago and look at him. And Lenny Hayes was too slow! I think our recruiting has been quite suspect. Goodes and Schneider must have been flukes.
    ---------||--ANNE--||----------

Thats the old SANFL /WAFL trick hide them then draft them late, can we finally get involved in this sort of thing? What with players now 'returning' to NSW what is the AFL coming to?

A national comp perhaps........

I always turn to the sports pages first, which record people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures......Earl Warren

Senior Player
    Originally posted by anne
    I still can't believe we didn't take Salopek. And Scott Stevens was our top pick 3 or so years ago and look at him. And Lenny Hayes was too slow! I think our recruiting has been quite suspect. Goodes and Schneider must have been flukes.
    I dont think our recruiting has been that bad, but it certainly could have been better.

I think Carlton getting their picks taken away really hurt us.
    Nobody expected Salopek to last until he did, and had Carlton kept their pick, there is no way he would have.

The Swans were mindful of this and guarenteed McVeigh he would be selected with the number 6 pick in the draft (actually it was number 7 I think).

But Sydney really got burnt by Carlton losing their picks.

Mase, you seem to be placing a lot of emphasis on local club games that occurred at least 3 years ago.

Let's face it the standard would have been shocking - McVeigh is an outside midfielder which makes it hard to star when you're surrounded by bumbling and fumbling team-mates and opponents.

I've seen a lot of guys who've gone on to be good players play local club footy in Melbourne, and generally they are totally disinterested - the focus is TAC Cup footy which would have been the case for McVeigh back then as well.

The old rule used to be that you could play a second game on a weekend if you had already played for your TAC Cup team, but not the other way around.

So when guys did play club footy they had usually already played at a higher level that weekend.

Anyway Mase, I think you've also well and truly made your feelings clear about McVeigh - considering the posts archive on this site only date back to Jan. '03 I'm sure there were a lot more negative posts you made about Jarrod in the last few months of 2002.

I think BBB was basically saying 'we know how you feel - you don't have to keep going on about it'.

Originally posted by Craig
    Maybe because McVeigh is built like a girl.

Do you remember a bloke called Clinton King? Very same body size regardless of ability. Not many blokes go well in the AFL who are so small.

McVeigh may put on a few kg's but he doesn't have the body structure to put on too much.
    Come on Craig how can you compare Clinton King to McVeigh.

McVeigh is an outside midfielder that has pace, endurance and very polished skils.

King was an inside midfielder, slow with questionable skills.

Fact is Clinton King was always going to struggle with his body size for the type of game that he plays. McVeigh plays totally different and his body size/mass will not affect his chances of becoming a regular player in our team if he:

a) is played in the best positon to suit him

b) his skills, pace and endurance live up to his impressive results at draft camp

As for other comments about Solapek, two issues why this kid lasted as long as he did in the draft:

a) He has very suspect shoulders that is holding him back at Port at present

b) Comments before the draft in the media basically said he wanted to stay in Melbourne and would return to Melbourne as soon as he could. Clubs took that as a sign he didn't have the ticker to make the scarfices to play at the highest level

Port took a very big punt on this kid taking him when they did.

DST
    Last edited by DST; 24th October 2003 at 02:54 PM.
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Senior Player
    Originally posted by Steve
    Mase, you seem to be placing a lot of emphasis on local club games that occurred at least 3 years ago.

Let's face it the standard would have been shocking - McVeigh is an outside midfielder which makes it hard to star when you're surrounded by bumbling and fumbling team-mates and opponents.

I've seen a lot of guys who've gone on to be good players play local club footy in Melbourne, and generally they are totally disinterested - the focus is TAC Cup footy which would have been the case for McVeigh back then as well.

The old rule used to be that you could play a second game on a weekend if you had already played for your TAC Cup team, but not the other way around.

So when guys did play club footy they had usually already played at a higher level that weekend.

Anyway Mase, I think you've also well and truly made your feelings clear about McVeigh - considering the posts archive on this site only date back to Jan. '03 I'm sure there were a lot more negative posts you made about Jarrod in the last few months of 2002.

I think BBB was basically saying 'we know how you feel - you don't have to keep going on about it'.
    I am basing my rating of McVeigh on his performances for the Sydney Under 16 rep side, so I hardly think that they would be quite all hacks, considering he wasn't even the star of that team IMO.

At the time he wasn't even playing in the TAC Cup IIRC.
    And considering soon after that he only played limited games in the TAC cup due to his shoulder injury that kept him out for some time, I highly doubt there was a huge change in the way he plays.

Also I am basing some of my comments on the games I have seen him play this year for the Swans Reserves, and I hate to tell ya, but he looks like the same Jarred McVeigh that I saw play years ago for the Sydney reps.

As I have also noted here, I hardly think I have kept going on about it. 15 posts about the McVeigh name, many of which would have been about the drafting of Mark McVeigh which came up a few times, is not a whole lot in a year.

I have the right to my opinion just like anybody else on this forum. I do not believe that in recent times I have expressed too much angst towards Mcveigh. Most of which was done during draft time.

This whole thing came up because I said, and very jokingly, that Nick Potter was better than McVeigh, and somebody took offence to it.

It isn't my fault that some people are precious.

It would be nice if people would bark up the right tree. The amount of times people have mentioned Warfe or Nicks or someone THEY AGREE is not worth persuing, its OKAY and also fine to do it over and over again, even know you already know their opinion, its fine because you agree with them.

But as soon as someone goes against the MAJORITY, they have to shut up because the majority doesn't agree.

Well you know what? This is a message forum for people to express opinions as they please, and if you don't like the way I post, then don't read it, I couldn't care less.

Also just did a quick analysis...

Out of my 15 posts about the name 'Mcveigh'

3 about Mark McVeigh
    9 about NEITHER, just their name involved in the post IE news article.
    3 about Jarrad McVeigh

3 posts, geez, I must never shut up about how bad he is.

Chill guys....just a point on Sydney junior footy, it must be hard to judge 'outstanding' players with a poor (general) standard, also, let's face it, a footy name, assists greatly to push your case in the reps. I fear, sight unseen granted, that McVeigh's name helped him somewhat. I bloody well hope he succeeds of course, but this worries me, any other comments on his performance last year in the twos?

And Mase'y, you are certainly entitled not to like anyone and say just that IMO. And let's be honest we get a lot of crap posted about keeping players and who likes whom for some pretty odd reasons (they are cute perhaps, good legs, nice guy) and we don't jump on those posters do we?

Senior Player
    Originally posted by Rob-bloods
    Chill guys....just a point on Sydney junior footy, it must be hard to judge 'outstanding' players with a poor (general) standard, also, let's face it, a footy name, assists greatly to push your case in the reps. I fear, sight unseen granted, that McVeigh's name helped him somewhat. I bloody well hope he succeeds of course, but this worries me, any other comments on his performance last year in the twos?

And Mase'y, you are certainly entitled not to like anyone and say just that IMO. And let's be honest we get a lot of crap posted about keeping players and who likes whom for some pretty odd reasons (they are cute perhaps, good legs, nice guy) and we don't jump on those posters do we?
    I hope you are talking about posters jumping on me and not the other way around....

I don't dislike McVeigh. I think a lot of people have misunderstood my comments. I feel that he has been touted as a star, and I feel that we may have wasted our top 5 pick on a player that will never be a top line AFL player, I personally think we could have done better.

I am quite happy to be proven wrong by McVeigh as I obviously do not want Sydney to lose the value from that high pick. But I would not be surprised if he doesn't turn out to be the player that many think he will be.

It is hard to judge Sydney footy in general, but this side was the Sydney Under 16 rep side, playing in the Sydney Under 18 competition. IIRC there were many players in this side that were part of the winning Under 16 NSW/ACT squad, at least half of them actually...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast