Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Barry Hall still irked by Paul Roos rift

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Just wild about Harry
    I personally will wish him all the best. IMHO (and I will probably get shot down for this) I believe that our style of play never suited Baz as we always took so long to get the ball to him, by which stage he had 3 defenders hanging off him. Many is the time he threatened to lose his cool because of frustration with how the ball came to him. This is very different to what he experiences with the Dogs, so it is good that he had a couple of years playing in a style that suits him so that he can enjoy his twilight.

Having said that, nothing can change the fact that he was our premiership captain and nothing can change the fact that he ALWAYS put his body on the line for us. It was a shame that he left the way he did, but the fuse had been burning for a long time for the abovementioned reason (probably as well as others, too).

Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    I personally will wish him all the best. IMHO (and I will probably get shot down for this) I believe that our style of play never suited Baz as we always took so long to get the ball to him, by which stage he had 3 defenders hanging off him. Many is the time he threatened to lose his cool because of frustration with how the ball came to him. This is very different to what he experiences with the Dogs, so it is good that he had a couple of years playing in a style that suits him so that he can enjoy his twilight.

Having said that, nothing can change the fact that he was our premiership captain and nothing can change the fact that he ALWAYS put his body on the line for us. It was a shame that he left the way he did, but the fuse had been burning for a long time for the abovementioned reason (probably as well as others, too).
    Agree with some of what you've said, but for a goodly portion of his time there, the doggies mids have more resembled our allegedly unsuitable midfield. Not sure whether it was bad luck, bad timing, or maybe even Barry himself which changed their dynamic. For a long time, I too felt he was routinely butchered by our slow play and ball movement into the forward line, but his time with the dogs has not coincided with their midfield at its best. The 64 million dollar question is why - did they drop off or were they kicking to the wrong spots, or was he leading to the wrong spots? They were undeniably one of the most silky skilled mid fields for a long time, but not in the last two seasons - and maybe, just maybe - it might have a bit to do with how Hally plays?

Unfortunately one of the times it did all click for them was last year's semi. Bugger. That game hurt.

I always rated Barry Hall, fantastic player, I was there when he did the lap around the SCG and all the crowd stood and clapped. I thought it was very sad but inevitable. I was glad the Dogs picked him up and he was playing well. Now I am abit disappointed with all that has gone on. He did say he was unhappy at the Swans for five years or so. He neglected to say about his private life and the difficulties he was having, Paul Roos gave him great support and went out of his way to get help for him. His main beef was with the Swans culture, he felt he is an old fashioned footballer and that footy belongs on the field. I would say he wasn't into meetings and discussions, team leaders etc, he was not scathing but felt it was not his scene. To say he was hung out to dry with the media at the end is forgetting that many times Roos fronted the media in support of Hall, as did Kirk. In the end I guess they were over it. Barry is certainly bitter and in time I hope he reflects and sees differently. My disappointment has been his behaviour and his attitude to the Swans with the media. This was shown today at the Sydney v Bulldogs match, he was not a happy camper and bitterly disappointed. Happily I did not hear many boos from the crowd and he is lucky it is Sydney because if it was Collingwood or of similar ilk they would have booed him from beginning to end. Hopefully he finds happiness in his retirement. The book he is to deliver will soon show his true colours and it worries me that the boot is going to be stuck in.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by magic.merkin View Post
    He still plays for the dogs who are paying him. He isn't going to go around saying he preferred his time in Sydney and considers himself a swan when he is about to go into battle for 8 points with them.

Give him a break.
    Blind Barry is a very flawed, frustrating player who still delivered more than most who were more consistent. I don't know if I'll give him a break for his lapses that cost us big, though.

But I think you're dead right that his pay packet may be controlling his tongue. I remember Ron Barassi saying he was with the Swans for life at his farewell Club Champion dinner - that lasted a few months. I bet Baz is back with us by the time of the 10 year Premiership reunion. In the meantime I bet we have to cop a lot more flack/crap when his book comes out. What else is going to sell books - that he baby sat Rocket's kids?

Hall reveals all on Swans split | AFL | Fox Sports

In this article from a couple moths ago Bazza states that he "didn't enjoy the last four or five years" at Sydney, which is confusing on so many levels; least of all that, in that time, he captained a premiership with the club.

Personally, I still have a soft spot for the guy. The image of him shedding tears during his lap of honour in 2009 made me feel for him - it was as if he wished he could stop wacking blokes but just couldn't - like he was own worst enemy.

That being said I think Roosy and the Swans culture are going to get a good smashing in his autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by nomae View Post
    Hall reveals all on Swans split | AFL | Fox Sports

In this article from a couple moths ago Bazza states that he "didn't enjoy the last four or five years"
    Apparently Biffo used to get upset about the boys laughing at him in his white Y fronts. So they were passed down from his grand dad. That was no reason to stir him about them.

I didn't know you could write books in crayon.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

he can reveal all he wants was still a club legend
    Theres not much left to say

I'll be a "no-boo-er". Time to forgive all the bad stuff and remember the excitement he brought to our games. How could anyone not wish him well at his last game on the SCG ?

I wouldn't be surprised that if he bags the club in his silly little book.

Love him for his football and his efforts in his years at the club, but not his petulant behaviour when faced with adversity.

Roos, Hall deny 'rift'

No rift according to people supposedly having a rift.
    -

Warming the Bench
    I harbour no ill feelings towards him although i have one regret about the 2005 premiership. I wanted Kirky to hold the cup up! He should be on all the pictures and posters.
    Surely BBB is only joking about preferring the bulldogs. I wouldn't want to hang around Aker, Johnson or Gilbee

The Telegraph is NOT a newspaper, it's a damn tabloid. They will jump on any hint of gossip. I hope it follows in the footsteps of "the news of the world"...
    Last edited by Frog; 20th July 2011 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Some text removed

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast