Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 21 V The Tigers

In: McVeigh, Bevan
    Out: Kennelly, Jetta

For me, Jetta and TDL are difficult choices. They can both do special things in attack but I can't get past the flaws they have in some of the basics ... e.g. both soft in tackles, Jetta poor disposal choices and or execution (e.g. THAT handball on Sat).

In the short term, I don't see any benefit to Jetta's development having him come into the game in the last qtr as sub each week. He is either full game in seniors or back to reserves - my preference would be back to reserves now to fix up his disposal. On the other hand, TDL hasn't had nearly as much time in seniors as Jetta this year and he was brought back in for a critical match. Need to give him continuity to build confidence. So I'd play him against Tigers this week.

In long term, I'm still prepared to invest in them both for one more season. Focus on bulking both of them up during the next off-season and give them an ultimatum next season to show improvement in hard-ball gets and tackling. If they can't, time to let them go.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    In: McVeigh, Bevan
    Out: Kennelly, Jetta
    I agree with half: In McVeigh out Kennelly.

Kennelly seems to have hit the wall. Sad to see in such a great player. Jetta and TDL will learn nothing in the reserves and let's face it we are so far off the pace of Collingwood and Geelong we may as well persist with youth. No one will remember where we came in the bottom half of the 8.

When Jetta was drafted lots of commentators suggested he'll be a midfielder. As it stands most opposition midfielders would use him as a door mat. I get tired of watching the opposition players brush him off with little effort. In a world of forward pressure he needs to bulk up and maintain his pace which I imagine will be his challenge for the off season. If he can't manage that then I think he is gone.

I'd like to see Rowan and Lamb get some game time - might pump them up for the off season.

Quote Originally Posted by AnsweredPrayers View Post

I'd like to see Rowan and Lamb get some game time - might pump them up for the off season.
    Whilst I love seeing guys like Alex J and Parker get game time early on, I also get excited about the youngsters given that bit of extra time to bulk up and get stronger, especially the ones where you know the skill is there already. It's like taking a young racehorse and instead of running it as a 2 year old you give it that extra year and it comes out bigger and stronger than the ones that have been running around already! I can just see Rohan and Jed being those players next year. Gary and Chops both look like they are really sizing up. Can't wait to see Jed in the forward pocket in a few years.

Mal needs to start before Tadhg. However I can't see them using Tadhg as a sub or dropping him.
    Last edited by Nich; 10th August 2011 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AnsweredPrayers View Post
    I agree with half: In McVeigh out Kennelly.

Kennelly seems to have hit the wall. Sad to see in such a great player. Jetta and TDL will learn nothing in the reserves and let's face it we are so far off the pace of Collingwood and Geelong we may as well persist with youth. No one will remember where we came in the bottom half of the 8.

When Jetta was drafted lots of commentators suggested he'll be a midfielder. As it stands most opposition midfielders would use him as a door mat. I get tired of watching the opposition players brush him off with little effort. In a world of forward pressure he needs to bulk up and maintain his pace which I imagine will be his challenge for the off season. If he can't manage that then I think he is gone.

This is just a ridiculous comments. Just simply ridiculous. Maybe he will make it, maybe he wont. But every side has inside and outside midfilelders - players which tackle and bring down their opponent everytime and others which harass and chase and pressure. Its just a pity that people dont pay attention to how other players develop.

Farren Ray has played for years at the highest level without being a hard tackling player. He mightn't have been worth his pick but he does a job week in week out. he needs his nick dal santo to get the ball but he does his bit. Ryan Griffen was never a crash and tackle type but is clearly the dogs best player this year. he needs a Daniel Cross, but we also have our Daniel Cross. Heath Scotland is hardly a hard tackling midfielder. You cant have all outside midfielders but having a couple doesnt hurt you either.

In any case try watching recent games. Jetta is regularly kicking goals for us and is tackling. He's still lightly framed and may always be so. But he is improving both his pressure acts and his disposals.

Just by the way I've never been wholly in his camp but I'm appreciating him more and more the more people bag him on this forum.

On the Rookie List
    Kennelly should be dropped but I doubt it will be done. He is a shadow of the player he once was and what a player he was! Who can ever forget him getting his shoulder popped in every game.Such courage! His stirring runs from the backlines straightening us up can only be seen in past videos now. The shame is that continually playing,losing us games is changing the respect and awe we should have for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    Kennelly should be dropped but I doubt it will be done. He is a shadow of the player he once was and what a player he was! Who can ever forget him getting his shoulder popped in every game.Such courage! His stirring runs from the backlines straightening us up can only be seen in past videos now. The shame is that continually playing,losing us games is changing the respect and awe we should have for him.
    Sad but true. I think the coaching staff have so much respect for him thst they are hoping against hope that he'll get back to his best. I know sentiment shouldn't be part of footy these days with it being so cut throat but I think our culture of protecting those that have spilt blood for the club is in play here.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

There comes a time when maybe the player himself should say enough is enough.

That time has come IMO.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

I agree Triple B. And I'm sure Tiger knows he's struggling as he has publicly stated that he will put off contract talks until he believes he is playing the quality of Footy that needs to be played. I personally think that in his mind he knows he will be retiring end of this year. The sooner he makes that announcement the more hope I have for him clearing his head and playing some good footy to finish the year off. I might be jumping the gun but i'd be surprised if Tadhg thinks he can run around for another year.

Happy and I know it
    Yes, sad but true. He just doesn't have the speed he used to have to provide that run out of defence. I hope the club doesn't re-sign him for another year.

Glad I'm not choosing the team for real.

Kennelly for Spang. Assuming the Spang can go back to defence. Otherwise Moore.

I'd love to see Gazza back or Lamb debut, but highly unlikely off the back of one romp in the reserves against the bottom team.

Horse's comments seem to say he wants to play some more of the young guys. If Parker is a bit tired, we might see Meredith?

Hmmmm....
    Superman still wears Brett Kirk Pyjamas

Veterans List
    Now Meredith keeps getting mentioned but I have yet to see him do anything at senior level that makes me think he will make the grade.

Others who have seen more of him may disagree so please shoot me down but I doubt he's had a better game than we've seen this year from the likes of first year players AJ, Parker etc.

Those wishing for Lamb are over looking the fact he hasn't even produced at reserves level yet. Wanting a first round pick to play before his time is just wishful longing :-) Probably because we have a poor record with first round picks dating back a very long way. Thank goodness for second and third round picks!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast