Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: finals still likely

Pushing for Selection

finals still likely

Just went through the ladder predictor - the good news is that finals for us are still a good chance of happening. Given the gulf between the top 5 teams and the rest of the competition, its a pretty high chance that those 5 teams keep winning.

Given that -
    0/4 wins - swans miss out on finals (surely our form this week and last game against the dogs was ok - goal kicking aside, will mean this is unlikely given we play richmond and brisbane)
    1/4 wins - will leave us in 8th position, likely equal with Melbourne but much better percentage.
    2/4 wins - will likely leave us in 7th position; with likely opponent being st kilda
    3/4 wins (I think this is the most likely) - will leave us in 6th position, home final against st kilda
    4/4 wins (highly unlikely given we play cats at geelong) - will guarantee us 6th, and if a top team collapses dramatically, we may scrape into 5th.

So unless we totally crumble, finals still seem a really good chance. I'd love for us to make it just to gain more experience for our younger players. and I'd love to have a home final. Come on swans - lets get that goal kicking accuracy sorted!

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Great positivity veramex. I've shaken off my disappointment with last night. Time to look forward to next week.
    4/4 - Dare to dream

I was heartened that we contributed to one of the games of the season. Goal kicking cost us obviously but our general play gives me lots of confidence that we're heading in the right direction. The football last night if replicated in the final 4 rounds will give us 3 wins and a home final.

Bring it on!
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Veterans List
    Real problem for us with any predictions is that we have a a big habit this year of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. I hate to remind people, but the Richmond game at the MCG last year was one of those and one you would like to forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I was heartened that we contributed to one of the games of the season. Goal kicking cost us obviously but our general play gives me lots of confidence that we're heading in the right direction. The football last night if replicated in the final 4 rounds will give us 3 wins and a home final.

Bring it on!
    This is spot on Big Al. I see a lot more positives than negatives this year. We are on a learning curve, so of course there will be ups and downs, but other than out appalling kicking for goal in the last quarter, I believe we are on the right path
    You Just Do Not Get a Better Grand Final Win Than That

hope we loose games and get draft picks, what we going to do in the finals? I'd rather a higher draft pick and a new coach. I want to win flags not fall into the 8 like Adelaide have done recently and look at them now, no pain no gain. Eagles had their pain and will be rewarded

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Real problem for us with any predictions is that we have a a big habit this year of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. I hate to remind people, but the Richmond game at the MCG last year was one of those and one you would like to forget.
    True, but I bet the team doesn't!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by IrishSwanPerth View Post
    hope we loose games and get draft picks, what we going to do in the finals? I'd rather a higher draft pick and a new coach. I want to win flags not fall into the 8 like Adelaide have done recently and look at them now, no pain no gain. Eagles had their pain and will be rewarded
    I would rather play finals, and with draft dominated by GWS picks if we fall to 9-12th it won't really make any difference. We need to work with what we have, get rid of some dead wood (Kennelly, currie, bevan, everitt, ... ), pick up some good players in trades, and get lucky in the draft (a la Sam Reid at 38 or whatever he went at, when in hindsight he would probably be top 10).
    I See It But I Don't Believe It!!!!

Geez we are a young side the more finals we can get into hanners, Reid AJ and co the better I reckon

Warming the Bench
    Getting into the finals far outweighs dropping down to 12th and getting a slightly higher draft pick. There's also a pretty big $$ bonus for making finals isn't there? So many people on this forum are calling for the head of the Horse, you guys are crazy.

Veteran Site Admin
    The difference between the draft pick we'd get for finishing 9th or 10th vs 6th to 8th would never be worth missing the experience of a final. But this year it is even more ridiculous to wish that because whatever first round pick we get will be used for Mitchell.

@@@@ing disgusting attitude. Teams should go out and try to win every single game. The idea of missing the valuable experience of finals football so that we can get a slightly higher draft pick is just plain @@@@@@.

Hell, I can almost understand tanking for pick 1 or a priority pick when finals are out of the question. But tanking to get a pick a few places higher when you could have played finals? @@@@. That. @@@@. Especially when you consider that this year our first rounder will be tied up with Tom Mitchell anyway, so the only difference would be a few places in the second round and beyond, which makes almost no difference at all.

Excuse the excessive swearing.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast