Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: SMFC

pr. dim-melb; m not f

SMFC

I meant to post this on Saturday but somehow got distracted.

NORTH IS SOUTH
    A reader makes an interesting point. Nudging 30 years on, the Swans still have SMFC stamped on the backs of their jerseys, as in "South Melbourne Football Club". They might be able to get away with calling it Far North Melbourne Football Club, but with the advent of the Greater Western Sydney side, it might be time to lose or try and erase the transplant scar? When I asked Swans chairman Richard Colless about this, he said: "The club in various incarnations traces its origin back to 1874. Over a hundred years of that history therefore is built around the club being domiciled in Melbourne. For us it's the same club but with a different address. It's a small concession to make to have the SMFC on the back of the jumper. The colours/song/records etc. remain unchanged. The players really embrace the history. And I don't think any Sydney-based supporters begrudge the club's provenance being publicly acknowledged in the way that it is.''

From: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/the-fitz...#ixzz1WaJCsaGI

Well said Richard. And it gives us an enormous advantage over other non-Melbourne clubs.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Living in 2005
    The reader didn't know much considering that the SMFC was only added a few years ago not something that was adopted on our move north. Our history is our strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    The reader didn't know much considering that the SMFC was only added a few years ago not something that was adopted on our move north. Our history is our strength.
    Indeed. I'm a Sydney girl, but our clubs dual history is something I'm exceptionally proud of. Our South Melbourne roots should not be discarded or forgotten.

As the banner flew in our 2005 grand final: 'Two cities, One team, Together living the dream'.

On a related point, when Kevin Sheedy and other naive GWS fans flog the 'there will be only one true Sydney team I roll my eyes. This club is as much about South Melbourne as it is about Sydney and vice versa. GWS on the other hand like pretending that Canberra and Orange are all a part of Greater West Sydney. As long-standing resident of Western Sydney I find it both hilarious and insulting to my intelligence. I understand why they need to, but don't be hypocrites and try and diminish what the Swans mean to this city and its people.

Quote Originally Posted by DLBIA14 View Post
    Indeed. I'm a Sydney girl, but our clubs dual history is something I'm exceptionally proud of. Our South Melbourne roots should not be discarded or forgotten.

As the banner flew in our 2005 grand final: 'Two cities, One team, Together living the dream'.

On a related point, when Kevin Sheedy and other naive GWS fans flog the 'there will be only one true Sydney team I roll my eyes. This club is as much about South Melbourne as it is about Sydney and vice versa. GWS on the other hand like pretending that Canberra and Orange are all a part of Greater West Sydney. As long-standing resident of Western Sydney I find it both hilarious and insulting to my intelligence. I understand why they need to, but don't be hypocrites and try and diminish what the Swans mean to this city and its people.
    This (more eloquently put that I could ever do).
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

As a Melbourne-based fan, I'm obviously proud that we maintain a link with the club's roots. Many people went through much pain during the transition, but the alternative of not having a club at all (and, let's be honest, is Fitzroy really a part of the Brisbane Lions?) would be far worse. I was six in 1982, so don't really remember what happened, but I'm glad I support this club. I hope the link always remains. We Melbourne fans will always exist as the club is passed down to subsequent generations. I, for one, will ensure my children appreciate our heritage.

I love the fact we have a lot of support in Melbourne. I'll admit it wasn't until 2005 until I realised how important our history was in shaping the culture of this club.

As for GWS I don't think they're belittling the Swans at all. It's a tongue in cheek comment to get a rivalry going between the 2 clubs. Rest assured both clubs will be working together to make sure that AFL is very strong in NSW. It's one of the reasons I'll be getting a GWS membership next year so I can support the code in Sydney.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    As for GWS I don't think they're belittling the Swans at all. It's a tongue in cheek comment to get a rivalry going between the 2 clubs. Rest assured both clubs will be working together to make sure that AFL is very strong in NSW. It's one of the reasons I'll be getting a GWS membership next year so I can support the code in Sydney.
    Sheeds was most certainly saying it tongue-in-cheek, but that doesn't mean what he said hasn't been perpetuated by others who fully believe it.

As for supporting GWS I don't agree. I would never invest in another club other than the Swans. I understand your sentiment and that of other Swans fans who have taken out memberships, but the growth of the game does not mean GWS needs the financial support or even the little figure they can proudly boast about. What's lost in the argument is that the Swans have an equally important role in the growth of the game in NSW. They also won't be able to access the blank cheque of funds the AFL has given GWS. If I was to buy another membership it would be for the Swans who still after 25 years of residence haven't been able to make the inroads you would have hoped after our premiership era.

Each to their own though, so don't take this as criticism, just an alternative opinion.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by toothy76 View Post
    As a Melbourne-based fan, I'm obviously proud that we maintain a link with the club's roots. Many people went through much pain during the transition, but the alternative of not having a club at all (and, let's be honest, is Fitzroy really a part of the Brisbane Lions?) would be far worse. I was six in 1982, so don't really remember what happened, but I'm glad I support this club. I hope the link always remains. We Melbourne fans will always exist as the club is passed down to subsequent generations. I, for one, will ensure my children appreciate our heritage.
    Absolutely right!

Sheeds was most certainly saying it tongue-in-cheek, but that doesn't mean what he said hasn't been perpetuated by others who fully believe it.

As for supporting GWS I don't agree. I would never invest in another club other than the Swans. I understand your sentiment and that of other Swans fans who have taken out memberships, but the growth of the game does not mean GWS needs the financial support or even the little figure they can proudly boast about. What's lost in the argument is that the Swans have an equally important role in the growth of the game in NSW. They also won't be able to access the blank cheque of funds the AFL has given GWS. If I was to buy another membership it would be for the Swans who still after 25 years of residence haven't been able to make the inroads you would have hoped after our premiership era.

Each to their own though, so don't take this as criticism, just an alternative opinion.
    That's fine. No dramas at all. I think you'll find though that the AFL will make sure the funds are available to both clubs to grow the code in this state.

I'm really looking forward to the on field rivalry from next year. Hopefully we'll come up with a better name than the "Q-Clash"
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I love the fact we have a lot of support in Melbourne.
    Me too. Even though I am a true "Sydney supporter" (ie I have never lived in Melbourne) and it was the Sydney Swans I fell in love with in 1995, I love the fact that we have the history of being one of the league's foundation clubs. I love the fact that Bobby Skilton is a regular at Swans events and clearly loves the club every bit as much as he would if it were still South Melbourne. I love the fact that whenever I go to games in Melbourne, there a dozens - maybe hundreds - of young kids in attendance proudly wearing their Swans gear demonstrating that the Melbourne Swans contingent is regenerating.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    We had a pre-game function in Melbourne before the Richmond game (that's the last time I'll mention it) where previous players from SMFC were recognised. It certainly helped that Grubby was the MC and rattled off items of club history at relevant moments, but what struck me was the beaming faces of the old players as they came up to receive their recognition. There is no doubt that they see it as the same club and are delighted to be included in what is happening now.
    We were sitting in front of a couple of them at the Carlton game at Etihad and they were talking about the players as they came out. "There's Roberts-Thomson." "Yeah, looks OK. Still think he should've had the Norm Smith." "Yeah, bloody unlucky."
    They love the club, celebrate its successes, shrug off its losses (they're probably used to those) and keep coming. The club is not just lucky to have them, it works hard to keep them, and as an ex-Sydneysider I am grateful for it.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Sheedy never said that at all to the best of my knowledge. It certainly wasn't said in the article at the top of the page so where did you come up with that idea?

I would like to think I am of slightly higher intelligence and can not only support two teams in the same code, in the same city but also teams of differnt codes.

The AFL need to feed money into GWS because they are trying to attract a whole new demographic supporter to the AFL. The Swans have accessed the blank cheque of funds in the past. They play out of Canberra and Wagga so as to attract future players as per their demographic entitlements.

As a person from the western suburbs, I would have thought that you would feel proud that Sydney does have it's own Sydney born team.

The Swans have made major inroads. You think Grand Finals equates with success. Tell that to Clubs from Melbourne that haven't won a Grand Final in 40 years. One win in 2005 does not make a premiership era.

So I don't think your alternative opinion has considered all the alternatives but certainly do buy another Swans membership.

The South Melbourne link with our Club should always be cherished because we are the only Club that has relocated and retained its identity. However, if you follow that tradition then GWS will be the only true Sydney origin team because it was born in Rooty Hill. So what is the big deal in that?
    Last edited by Bas; 31st August 2011 at 09:27 PM.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast