Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mumford vs Jolly - what did we lose/gain?

Just wild about Harry

Mumford vs Jolly - what did we lose/gain?

It has occurred to me recently that I think we actually came out better with this deal than what it seemed at the time. What are your thoughts?

We absolutely came out better, when you consider that if we hadn't lost Jolly, we wouldn't have chased Mumford.

However, in terms of the deal itself, we lost Jolly for Jetta (pick 14) and one third of the McGlynn/Kennedy deal (pick 46). While McGlynn and Kennedy have been amazing, the pick wasn't crucial to the deal; I'm sure we could have got them without the Jolly deal by throwing something else in instead. Jetta has talent but is yet to prove a successful pick, and in all honesty, he probably won't ever be worth near what Jolly was.

So in terms of the deal itself, we still got ripped off, but through clever recruiting elsewhere (i.e. getting Mumford), we still ended up in front overall. It's Geelong and Hawthorn that had to pay the price though (though Hawthorn did pretty well with the picks from the McGlynn/Kennedy deal, picking up Stratton and a couple of others, so they'd be pretty happy as well).
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

I've thought that for the last 12 months. DJ is probably better at drifting forward and kicking goals, but Mumford is a much better inside player and is five years younger.

Plus, we'd already played our 'recruit Darren Jolly, win a premiership' card.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Jolly doesnt have much left anyway, and i feel free to blame him for 2006 now he is in magpie colours.

Getting Mumford has been on of the best moves the club has made of all time. He looked good when he first started at the cats, as soon as we got him i was pleased. As for the deal for Jolly for pick 14, i guess Jetta adds the pace we needed to get, i think his biggest downfall has been an inability to convert chances, he was never going to get you 20 possies a game, but if he actually kicked straight for goal he would be looking a lot better. I like the spark he gives us too and i think overall we have to be pleased with our recruitment and trading that off season.

I guess looking who got picked after jetta though, we could of had fyfe, duncan (geelong got him with our pick for mumford), bastinac, gunston, Jetta stacks up ok.
    Theres not much left to say

Living in 2005
    I'm happy with how everything worked out, but for Collingwood to get our Premiership ruckman for pick 14 was criminal in my opinion! always hated that deal. Those scumbags got Jolly for pick 14 and Ball for pick 30 (in draft) and basically waltzed off to a Premiership.

Veterans List
    I'm very happy with the trade. But blaming Collingwood is tough - he WAS moving to Melbourne and they could have done us over once he said it was going to be the Pies only.

Ball? What was Ross thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    I'm very happy with the trade. But blaming Collingwood is tough - he WAS moving to Melbourne and they could have done us over once he said it was going to be the Pies only.

No actually, we could have done them over. Jolly was still contracted and if we said screw you we'll get you to s club in Melbourne if you want, but a club of our choice he would have had to accept it. Roos, who was too nice for his own good (but I still love him for it ), sort of let them shaft us.

No doubt pick 14 was a joke, but I suppose the fact we got a few steals at the trade table with Joey/Ben/Mummy made up for it.

Ball going that way was a mistake. To think they would have had Wellingham and a pick and instead got nothing except embarrassment is astounding. However, Collingwood (with the other big 4 clubs) has a pull factor too them and a lot of poorer clubs and interstate ones, suffer because of it.

We got a very very happy ruckman who is going gang busters.

They got a happier ruckman who would not have been happy here, and they have gone gang busters, busted him up a bit, not played, still won, won't last, etc.

We still have a 25yo who is still learning the trade.....lordelpme......

We win, ultimately.

They win somewhat, Jolly and his family win outright.

So, I think we can agree, win/win/win/ not much loss anywhere.

As for Ball? Good grief, Saints, what were you thinking! Still and all, a win for us if you see my seriously bent reasoning.....he is a main player in player negotiations, and would Ball have been taken seriously as a Sainter? or as a Woodman.....he is a bright intelligent man, but you can be tarred by association.
    Last edited by Primmy; 1st September 2011 at 03:27 PM.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by DLBIA14 View Post
    Roos, who was too nice for his own good (but I still love him for it ), sort of let them shaft us....
    Sydney and Roos have built a rep over the past 5-6 years as being fair and equitable at the trade table. I see no reason for that rep to change now with Horse.

It hasn't done us any harm so far, I don't believe we've been royally shafted by anybody yet, even the Schneids/Dempster deal was out of necessity.

What it will do is enable us to continually get the players we want because all clubs are willing to speak to us because they feel we have no hidden agenda. Somewhere down the line somebody is going to have a choice between dealing with us and another club and I believe our rep will make that club, whoever it may be, deal with Sydney because we play it fair...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Hawthorn was a strange player that year. Went for Burgoyne and not Jolly when they have/had midfielders but no ruck division.

They had a higher pick to land Jolly too.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    Hawthorn was a strange player that year. Went for Burgoyne and not Jolly when they have/had midfielders but no ruck division.

They had a higher pick to land Jolly too.
    And (then Hawthorns) Pelchen was the complete opposite of what Roos and Sydney have been over the stretch, a hard nosed self proclaimed 'master' negotiator who wasn't interested unless you wanted to trade your silk purse for his sows ear.

Consequently, Sydney got the deal done, Hawthorn ummed and ahhhd their way thru trade week and landed Burgoyne in the 11th hour. As an aside, I reckon he's been a huge disappointment at Hawthorn. He looked like he could develop into an absolute elite midfielder when at his top at Port, but just managing to hold down a HFF for most of the year.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Living in 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post

Jolly was in the middle of a four deal he signed when he decided to go home, we didn't have to do anything for him. It was only out of the kindness of Roos & Co he got to go home at all! We were totally in box seat to do whatever we wanted, I think he was worth more than pick 14.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast