Are we a better side than the one that contested last year?s finals series?

At first glance, you?d have to say no. Last year, we won 13 games, lost 9, and finished 5th. This year, we won 12, lost 9, drew 1, and finished 7th on percentage. So we have to travel interstate for our Elimination Final.

But appearances can be deceptive.

This year, we have a far better record against top 4 sides. We?ve beaten the teams that came 2nd and 4th at their home grounds, been genuinely competitive against the minor premiers for the first time in years, defeated one of last year?s grand finalists, and interestingly, scored most of our premiership points away from Sydney.

How ironic ? we?d have a home final at the SCG if we?d won even one more game there.

So where does that leave us against St. Kilda this Saturday night?

While this week?s game is at their preferred venue, they don?t have a good record against the top 8 this year, let alone the top 4. Their record stands at 2 wins, eight losses. Their sole win against a top 4 side was against the Eagles in Round 17 at Etihad Stadium, with their only other top 8 win being against Carlton last week - and you?d suspect Carlton didn?t exactly go flat out.

So, all things considered, we appear to be evenly matched.

Having said that, I believe we can win.

I think we?re psychologically stronger than we were a year ago, which is the key to winning away. We were very convincing in the match against Geelong a couple of weeks ago ? the way we played reminded me of our efforts in 2005. Real team spirit, play-for-each-other type stuff.

It?s going to be an absolute cracker of a game. I hope there?s plenty of red-and-white in attendance to cheer us onwards to victory.

Swans by 15.