Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The road to the 2011 flag

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne

The road to the 2011 flag

In the movie Jaws, rich, melodious music followed the shark around. So too should we be playing the Jaws theme for the Swans at the moment - like the shark, we are striking at vulnerable opposition from below.

1st week - St Kilda - DONE. Blood in the water in the first quarter, shark bites victim in the second quarter, convulsive thrashing around by the victim in the third quarter, victim duly despatched in the last.

2nd week - Hawthorn. Will not have Buddy, so there's more blood in the water. If we become the second side since the introduction of the current format of the final eight to reach the prelim from the bottom half of the eight, it gets interesting.

3rd week - Collingwood. More blood: have a few injuries and underdone players coming off suspension. We haven't beaten Collingwood since 2005, but our last match against them was very good, losing by only six points at a time when the Maggies were flogging everybody else. Collingwood's form has wavered lately, they got flogged by Geelong last week. Anything could happen - we might beat them, we could get flogged. Who knows?

4th week, Grand Final - most likely Geelong (also West Coast, Carlton, Essendon). We are the only side to beat Geelong at Geelong in almost four years, we are the only side to beat West Coast in Perth this year. Others are unlikely.

So can we win the flag? It is unlikely, but who knows?

Cue rich, melodious music.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I believe Thunder Shaker!
    Victory or die!

Blog Entries
    Der dun, der dun. dun, dun, dun...

Love the analogy Thunder Shaker but didn't the Shark get blown up in the end???

Oh No, Oh No, Oh No, No, No, No, No,
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

I'm hearing the Woody Woodpecker theme after reading this thread.

Rocky and his opponents through the movies would have been better imagery.

His toughest opponent? High blood pressure and cholesterol. Cats = HBP and Magpies = cholesterol
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Love the analogy Thunder Shaker but didn't the Shark get blown up in the end???

Oh No, Oh No, Oh No, No, No, No, No,
    That was Mad Monday after the GF.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Regular in the Side
    I like your thinking but it ignores the victims of the past three weeks - I'm sure the Saints in duplicate, Geelong at home and Brisbane would probably like to have their names credited in our run to the gf.

The thing that I always take from 2005 and 2006 is how up and down the seasons were. If you look at what the fans were saying at the various points of the season compared to opinions when we made the grand finals, there was a chasm of difference. Same goes for last year and hopefully year. I just hope we can get up next week so I can really give it to Horse.

However in 05 and 06, we reached the GF without teams of the strength and skill of Cats and Pies.

Realistically our journey will go no further than the prelim BUT that is a remarkable achievement.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Regular in the Side
    Realistically we were a goal away from pinching the game off the Pies at ANZ. Games have outcomes that shouldn't occur all the time, particularly with the Swans (one way or the other). Sure - its unlikely the Swans can win the next two to make the gf. But it's 99% more likely to happen than unable to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    However in 05 and 06, we reached the GF without teams of the strength and skill of Cats and Pies.Realistically our journey will go no further than the prelim BUT that is a remarkable achievement.
    Don't totally agree with you there Bas. From my memory the Crows were being called the Crowbots and looked very close to invincible. Lucky for us we never had to face them in finals.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    Don't totally agree with you there Bas. From my memory the Crows were being called the Crowbots and looked very close to invincible. Lucky for us we never had to face them in finals.
    Absolutely spot on. I remember stating before the finals that if we don't meet the Crows we can win it. The footygod
    was on our side in 2005 and nearly there in 2006.

Thundershaker, I love the analogy. Especially all those cowering nancy Victorians on the beach at St Kilda as the Shark prowls the foreshore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast