Thread: SET SHOTS FOR GOAL

SET SHOTS FOR GOAL

It"s really frustrating to see the shots for goal by some top players. The basic technique is fairly simple.

Concentrating once deciding to have a shot
    Lining up where the ball is to go.
    Eyes on the ball as it is guided on to the foot ,not dropped,Left hand fractionally away before the right,for proper alignment.
    TOE POINTED IN THE DIRECTION WHERE THE BALL IS TO GO,then a good follow through
    Have a look and see on missed shots where the foot was pointing after impact. Anywhere except where the ball was to go
    Watch clips of Plugger shooting for goal. The perfect technique.
    The shot for goal is the most important kick a player will get during a game. Theymust make the most of it.

Set shots were fantastic in the fourth quarter.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    They have their eye on it:
    http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...911-1k47s.html
    Input from a past master.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Blog Entries
    Word is that, (not from the swans), the fitness guys don't like them kicking, They may do a hammy, or other injury.

could be the reason why kicking has dropped off over the years, in place of fitness

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Word is that, (not from the swans), the fitness guys don't like them kicking, They may do a hammy, or other injury.

could be the reason why kicking has dropped off over the years, in place of fitness
    Could be! When you can't kick big scores you need to be super fit to control the play so the opposition doesn't out score you.Its Catch 22.
    I am also frustrated by easy shots missed. Ok with a heavy wind and a difficult angle anyone can miss or 50 metres + out but right in front and within 40 metres its just correct technique. I was always told by my coaches that bad kicking is bad football but many players look like they could not care less when they miss a "gimme" goal. We were always benched and roared at by the coach. I seem to remember the words "letting down the whole team!" You made sure you nailed the easy ones!

Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    Could be! When you can't kick big scores you need to be super fit to control the play so the opposition doesn't out score you.Its Catch 22.
    I am also frustrated by easy shots missed. Ok with a heavy wind and a difficult angle anyone can miss or 50 metres + out but right in front and within 40 metres its just correct technique. I was always told by my coaches that bad kicking is bad football but many players look like they could not care less when they miss a "gimme" goal. We were always benched and roared at by the coach. I seem to remember the words "letting down the whole team!" You made sure you nailed the easy ones!
    I think Gazza must have had the same coach, that kid hates to miss a goal!!!!!

Percentage wrong

Don't practise kicking for fear of doing a hammy!!

This is got to be the silliest part of the current game. No matter what's your "spread", "zone defence", "forward pressure", etc, etc. if you can't get it through the big post then you wont win.

Personally I would look at "Forward Zones" with the 50m area broken into zones about 20m sqaure at at a range of angles - like 35%/25m out or 10%/15m out. As you practise you should really start to know the zones that you are truly compfortable with.

Set shots on a given good day (low wind, etc) sets shots should have an accuracy of 80-90%
    Last edited by lbyron; 12th September 2011 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Percentage wrong