Page 67 of 78 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177 ... LastLast

Thread: Mega merged trading thread

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Axel View Post
    I must be one of the few who are disappointed, Morton is a twice rejected head case who can only kick around corners (and is a tigger reject, which is another matter!), Armstrong has had serious discipline issues and Walsh hasn't played a game in anger. Without Mitchell there would be nothing to show for young talent. Am i being too pessimistic?
    Yes. But I am sure even you would hope you are shown to be wrong. My (glass half full) approach is that this was on paper a good to very good year for trading. 2009 was however an excellent trading year; whilst 2007, when two Premiership players (Schnieder and Dempster) were traded for draft pick 26 was a fairly poor year.

Quote Originally Posted by Axel View Post
    I must be one of the few who are disappointed, Morton is a twice rejected head case who can only kick around corners (and is a tigger reject, which is another matter!), Armstrong has had serious discipline issues and Walsh hasn't played a game in anger. Without Mitchell there would be nothing to show for young talent. Am i being too pessimistic?
    You've got a 100% pessimistic post rate. Can only get better from here.

As I mentioned early this morning, Terry Wallace said he brought Morton over from the West to Richmond. In his opinion he would have been a top 8 National Draft Pick if it were not for his father/son selection.

He is a very good player and can be anything under the Swans wing.

We picked him up for nothing and it's all bonus from here no matter what happens.

Unless we recruit Fev, who then has a major relapse, falls back into his old drinking ways. Then gets Moreton and Armstrong to join him. They then get young Hanners drunk and get him covered in tatoos.................

We're doomed..............
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Regular in the Side
    Fev will be the icing on the cake to teaches us to kick straight

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    That icing might look inviting, but it will probably leave a bad taste in your mouth......Just ask Mr Voss.
    But hey, it would make for a fun filled couple of years viewing.......I'm sold.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Seriously if Fev comes to Sydney, it will be to GWS. Sheedy was saying today that he never says never.

I can't see how we could fit Fev in now even if we wanted him.

So I think all jokes aside, the Fev might join Kev but he won't be replacing Bev.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    More like lard in the Frying pan
    You don't ban those who supported your opponent, you make them wallow in their loserdom by covering your victory! You sit them in the front row. You give them a hat! Toby Ziegler

Pretty good result - still a bit of a gamble with each of Armstrong, Walsh and Morton (they have plenty still to do). But so too with LJ - hope he proves me wrong, but I can see him being a tease over the next few years and only showing glimpses of that talent. You'd think it's also an indication we're very confident of signing Reid long-term as well.

I assume we were after an Ahmed Saad type, but after he went to St Kilda, Morton was Plan B. I'm OK with that - a bit strange after TDL spent the year on the outer due to lack of defensive pressure that we'd recruit a guy who provides even less in that area - but Morton has genuine instincts as a forward, which we lack across our list. Worth a punt IMO, particularly with him still being 24.

Probably safe to say we wanted a pick in the 30's all along - would have taken that from Port if they wanted Seaby (and kept LJ), but it wasn't to be.

Sounds as though the draft is shallow, but very even - throw a blanket over picks 20-60. So not a bad position for us to be in, I imagine we have a few kids we hope slip through to 43 and 61, but if they're gone, there could be some other delisted players that might provide even further depth.

They were saying on TWR that there will be a few delisted players on the market this year that would be worthy of being picked up elsewhere.

On the rise
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Knickers View Post
    So you're just generally pretty worried about everyone but the backline?
    It's more a question of list balance. We need more bona fide midfielders.

On the rise
    Quote Originally Posted by MadCanuck View Post
    OK, now getting back to the title of the original thread, who will be delisted? Sumner, Meredith and Bevan for two young ones (P43 and P61) and a re-tread?
    Sumner and Moore for the two draft picks. Meredith or Bevan if we have someone lined up for the PSD. Currie to survive another year- hopefully our Trent West!

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I assume we were after an Ahmed Saad type, but after he went to St Kilda, Morton was Plan B. I'm OK with that - a bit strange after TDL spent the year on the outer due to lack of defensive pressure that we'd recruit a guy who provides even less in that area - but Morton has genuine instincts as a forward, which we lack across our list. Worth a punt IMO, particularly with him still being 24.
    Tigers fans seem to reckon that Morton played his best football for them when allowed to play in the midfield. But then he was put back forward again and went back to old, bad habits. It is not secret that, while we need to improve conversion in front of goal, we also need to improve the quality of delivery into the forward line. Armstrong and Morton could both be part of Longmire's grand plan to achieve this.

I think it has been a successful week, but Walsh would have to become a Coleman medallist and Morton emulate Nick Davis in a certain game for this year's effort to rival 2009 trade period. Sure, we had a bit more currency that year to lubricate things but to secure probably our second best / most important player (Mummy), a top 5 most important player (JPK) and the more than handy McGlynn while still keeping two first round draft picks and the pick that enabled us to get Reid will be close to impossible to top.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think it has been a successful week, but Walsh would have to become a Coleman medallist and Morton emulate Nick Davis in a certain game for this year's effort to rival 2009 trade period. Sure, we had a bit more currency that year to lubricate things but to secure probably our second best / most important player (Mummy), a top 5 most important player (JPK) and the more than handy McGlynn while still keeping two first round draft picks and the pick that enabled us to get Reid will be close to impossible to top.
    Agree with this. It will be interesting to see if any of the three (MM Walsh Armstrong) line up in Rnd 1. We may be getting a bit ahead of ourselves.