Page 53 of 78 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Thread: Mega merged trading thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    If you are want to have your argument supporting the omniscience of our recruiting department (and the limitations in the thinking of your fellow R&Wers then I suggest you don't use Hannebury and the 2008 national draft in your argument, because in that draft the Swans selected Lewis Johnstone before Dan Hannebury.

And as for speculation, it may not change anything, but it's certainly more stimulating than simply parrotting the latest spin from the Swans management (If I wanted mindless repition of club press releases I'd be reading the drivel produced by Sydney's sports journalists, not RWO).
    I take a great deal of offence to your post. I don't believe I am limited in my thinking simply because I choose to put my faith in the people who truly know the ins and outs of the club over the "experts" on here.
    As far as the 2008 draft goes, perhaps you should remember that prior to the draft, Lewis was quite highly rated and it was of no surprise to anyone when he went first round. Hanners on the other hand was not so well known or thought of. The fact that Hanners has gone on to be the player he is, is a credit to both the boy himself and the nouse of Roos (who spotted him whilst watching a nephew? at a local game) who was hell bent on getting him, knowing that he was not going to go in the first round.

Veteran Site Admin
    It is certainly illogical to argue that our drafters stuffed up by not picking Hanners at 12 given that he was still there at 30.

If we want to slash our wrists, using the benefit of hindsight, we might as well do it over picking Johnston ahead of Shuey, Zaharakis, Trengove or Redden.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    If we want to slash our wrists, using the benefit of hindsight, we might as well do it over picking Johnston ahead of Shuey, Zaharakis, Trengove or Redden.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    If you are want to have your argument supporting the omniscience of our recruiting department (and the limitations in the thinking of your fellow R&Wers then I suggest you don't use Hannebury and the 2008 national draft in your argument, because in that draft the Swans selected Lewis Johnstone before Dan Hannebury.

And as for speculation, it may not change anything, but it's certainly more stimulating than simply parrotting the latest spin from the Swans management (If I wanted mindless repition of club press releases I'd be reading the drivel produced by Sydney's sports journalists, not RWO).
    What's stimulating on these forums is well thought out opinions coming from fair minded people. Those who constantly criticize the club and it's coaching staff without EVER giving credit where it's due are just as bad as those who sycophantly believe that the Swans do nothing wrong. (these are rare on RWO - read the threads after the Richmond game fir evidence of that)

There is nothing wrong with pointing out that our recruiting record is pretty good and that the recruiters should be given the benefit of the doubt. I have misgivings about this trade bit I'm not arrogant enough to believe that I know more than blokes with hundreds of games experience who as Primmy said, have access to more information than any of us on here.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Regular in the Side
    Tony Armstrong played all of his Crows games in season 2011 for the last five games in year:

-Brisbane Lions-Round 20: 7 marks 19 disposals 4 tackles
    -Geelong- Round 21: 6 marks 21 disposals 2 tackles
    -Gold Coast-Round 22: 6 marks 20 disposals 3 tackles
    -Richmond-Round 23: 6 marks 23 disposals 2 tackles
    -West Coast-Round 24: 2 marks 7 disposals 1 tackles

Very impressive stats, except the last game against the Eagles. WCE won that game by 95 points. But does anyone know if he got an injury in that game?

In the Johnston draft, 10 players before him have become regular first graders playing a few seasons now. Only Vickery (Richmond) a long term ruck and Hartlett (Port) injury prone haven't.

This will be a time capsule one but I think might go down the same path as Ryan Fitzgerald.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Vickery never misses?

Spewing that LJ has gone, given the great reviews of his season on here.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    Vickery never misses?
    A long term prospect shaken and not stirred
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Though im not privy to all the inner workings, im pretty annoyed at this trade. LJ could be a great player, and we've just given him away.

Adelaide fans on BF are laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by nomae View Post
    Though im not privy to all the inner workings, im pretty annoyed at this trade. LJ could be a great player, and we've just given him away.

Adelaide fans on BF are laughing.
    I recall they were laughing when we gave them Fitzy. They took Davis (GWS bound) in the draft above Johnston. So another good reason not to read BF or take notice of Crow supporters.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    I recall they were laughing when we gave them Fitzy. They took Davis (GWS bound) in the draft above Johnston. So another good reason not to read BF or take notice of Crow supporters.

Comparisons with Ryan Fitzgerald and Lewis Johnston are probably on the money.

The reality is that due to a number of reasons, Johnston did not succeed in the harbour city. To those who bemoan this Armstrong/no. 35-Johnston trade: get over it! It would stun me beyond comprehension if in the fullness of time all of these events arose:

1. Lewis Johnston is a great success at the Crows AND
    2. Tony Armstrong fails at the Swans AND
    3. The number 35 draft pick fails at the Swans

For this trade to prove an example of poor judgement ALL three of the above events would have to occurs. I very much doubt it.

The issue for me about this trade, is not so much about which player has more potential to deliver... though my feeling is LJ hands down....
    But why did we chase so hard, and give away anything worth keeping, when we seemingly didn't need to.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT