Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swans forwards of 2005 compared with today

Just wild about Harry

Swans forwards of 2005 compared with today

I had the great fortune of receiving the 2005 Swans Collectors Pack of DVDs over the weekend (birthday) and watched the season highlights disc last night. I got a bit depressed. To see the skill level in 2005 and compare it with now showed me that we are still a long way off, however the BIG difference for me was in the freakish skills of our forwards. Hall was taking grabs and just pushing defenders out of the way, Micky O was snapping from anywhere and outmanoeuvring his opponents, and Nick Davis was roving the packs and slotting them from the boundary.
    The more I watched, the more I realised that we are light years away from this and have nobody in our forward line capable of these things at present. What do you think?

Senior Player
    Yep - we had 5 player permanent forwards capable of kicking 5 goals in a match - Hall, Micky O, Davis, Schneids and O'Keefe

In 2011 we had none (I don't count Goodes as a permanent forward)

Senior Player
    Sam Reid.
    C'mon Chels!

Reid has the potential (there's that dirty word) to be a class above Hall. If TDL can get fit and strong enough to play AFL football then he'll be fantastic. Morton at FP/HF, if he plays the way we all know he can, would be an upgrade on Nick Davis.

Plus rotate guys like Goodes through, see how Walsh develops, etc, etc. Yeah, not nearly as good as 05, but we make up for it in the midfield. Mumford, Goodes, Bolton, Kennedy, Jack, McVeigh, ROK, and Hanners are better than Ball, Goodes, Bolton, Kirk, Williams, Fosdike, Ablett, Dempster, Buchanan.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    Reid has the potential (there's that dirty word) to be a class above Hall. If TDL can get fit and strong enough to play AFL football then he'll be fantastic. Morton at FP/HF, if he plays the way we all know he can, would be an upgrade on Nick Davis.

Plus rotate guys like Goodes through, see how Walsh develops, etc, etc. Yeah, not nearly as good as 05, but we make up for it in the midfield. Mumford, Goodes, Bolton, Kennedy, Jack, McVeigh, ROK, and Hanners are better than Ball, Goodes, Bolton, Kirk, Williams, Fosdike, Ablett, Dempster, Buchanan.
    I hear what you are saying, but watching this last night I was staggered at just how good Buchanan was when he was at his best. Also, Ablett started the season on fire in the middle and was clearing packs and kicking goals (long ones, too). One of the big differences was also the quality of the outside runners like Williams and Fosdike - what a great team.

I guess one thing that encouraged me was the fact that in a lot of the h&a games we were as inaccurate in front of goals as we are today.

Until we win another flag, nothing compares to the 2005 forward line.

However, I'm excited how our 2012 forward line is taking shape:

FF: Lamb - Reid/Walsh - Morton/TDL
    HFF: O'Keeffe/Rohan - Goodes/Reid - Hanners/Jack/McGlynn

There's been wraps on young Lamb, so hoping he can fill a forward pocket, if not we have many midfielders that can play through that spot.
    Can't find room for White at the moment, but hope he steps up and pushes Walsh for the FF position.
    I believe there will be room for only one of Morton/TDL.
    I believe Goodes and O'Keefee will spend more time up forward in 2012, than 2011.
    The second HFF spot to be filled by players changing through the midfield.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I haven't been watching the game long enough, but I suspect our 2005 forward line stands comparison with (please note, I didn't say 'is better than') any other club forward line you care to name.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I haven't been watching the game long enough, but I suspect our 2005 forward line stands comparison with (please note, I didn't say 'is better than') any other club forward line you care to name.
    You don't need to have watched the game for very long to realise that Brisbane's forward line in their heyday is very hard to compete with:

HF: Akermanis Brown Power
    FF: McRae Lynch Bradshaw
    C'mon Chels!

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by penga View Post
    You don't need to have watched the game for very long to realise that Brisbane's forward line in their heyday is very hard to compete with:

Ouch - add that to Voss and Black in the mids and they were unstoppable

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by penga View Post

True, a genuinely great lineup. Has there been a better?
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think the brilliance of the 2005 forward line was not so much that you had an elite spearhead in Hall, but that you had 2 very, very smart mid-sized forwards in O'Loughlin and Davis. We were obviously very Hall focused, but with those 3 as a core it meant Hall could just focus on running in a straight line whilst O'Loughlin and Davis created space for him and created options themselves. It's amazing to think the amount of space they seemed to have given the small size of the SCG.

I actually think it's Lamb that is the ace up our sleeve in trying to get to something close to that again.

Also- if you want to compare accuracy then to now, that trio kicked 170.88 for the season!
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    I think the brilliance of the 2005 forward line was not so much that you had an elite spearhead in Hall, but that you had 2 very, very smart mid-sized forwards in O'Loughlin and Davis. We were obviously very Hall focused, but with those 3 as a core it meant Hall could just focus on running in a straight line whilst O'Loughlin and Davis created space for him and created options themselves. It's amazing to think the amount of space they seemed to have given the small size of the SCG.

I actually think it's Lamb that is the ace up our sleeve in trying to get to something close to that again.

Also- if you want to compare accuracy then to now, that trio kicked 170.88 for the season!
    It is quite possible that the same setup may not work today due to the different zoning tactics that are used. Having said that, I have never seen Chops play but the reports from RWO are good so far. Is he the new Davis (KFC aside)?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast