Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lewis Johnston interview

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by nomae View Post
    Don't see what everyone's talking about, seems like a perfectly nice bloke, and we all know it, the NEAFL is a joke compared to the SANFL.

I hope he does well and after the Walsh trade I'm at ease with LJ going, but anyone know a reason why he didn't get more of a chance this year? Just seems strange to me that we only played a first round draft pick who can kick 60+ twice this year when we were obviously lacking in goal-kicking forwards. All that said, good luck to him.
    Agree. It was a press conference for his new club. He was hardly going to sit there and say "Really bummed to be back in Adelaide. Loved it in Sydney and the Swans are a way better club than the Crows." None of us has any idea whether he was genuinely excited about the opportunity to go to Adelaide when it came up or whether he was disappointed to be traded away. Either way, he probably didn't have a huge say in the matter once the club had set their eyes on Walsh and decided that Johnston was the expendable one in order to achieve that. I hope for him that he is excited by the opportunities at the Crows and I will watch his development with interest.

In terms of why he didn't get more senior games in 2011:

- he played most of the season in defence in the NEAFL and was probably jump started by AJ's rapid and unexpected emergence
    - the two games he did play as a forward (one in the NAB Cup, one in the season proper) showed that he still needs to work on getting to the right spots and getting stronger so he can win possession. With ball in hand he is already very good (and I suspect that will translate readily to senior AFL level) but he still needs to learn more about how to win the ball, especially in a crowded forward line
    - he hurt his ankle in the NEAFL game played as a curtain raiser to the GC game and never made it back onto the playing field after that. Had he not been injured, he might have had more opportunities late in the season.

As it was, Spangher came in and showed a bit in the role that Johnston might have fillled. Spangher may lack the classiness that LJ has with ball in hand but he is stronger, possibly a bit quicker and instinctiveness more willing to throw himself into contests than LJ has yet shown. He is also still relatively young. I suspect that it was Spangher's late season cameos that persuaded the Swans that Johnston was expendable - ie not that they necessarily wanted to trade him out but that if they needed to in order to secure other players who could add more in different roles, the team could afford to lose him.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Agree. It was a press conference for his new club. He was hardly going to sit there and say "Really bummed to be back in Adelaide. Loved it in Sydney and the Swans are a way better club than the Crows." None of us has any idea whether he was genuinely excited about the opportunity to go to Adelaide when it came up or whether he was disappointed to be traded away. Either way, he probably didn't have a huge say in the matter once the club had set their eyes on Walsh and decided that Johnston was the expendable one in order to achieve that. I hope for him that he is excited by the opportunities at the Crows and I will watch his development with interest.

In terms of why he didn't get more senior games in 2011:

- he played most of the season in defence in the NEAFL and was probably jump started by AJ's rapid and unexpected emergence
    - the two games he did play as a forward (one in the NAB Cup, one in the season proper) showed that he still needs to work on getting to the right spots and getting stronger so he can win possession. With ball in hand he is already very good (and I suspect that will translate readily to senior AFL level) but he still needs to learn more about how to win the ball, especially in a crowded forward line
    - he hurt his ankle in the NEAFL game played as a curtain raiser to the GC game and never made it back onto the playing field after that. Had he not been injured, he might have had more opportunities late in the season.

As it was, Spangher came in and showed a bit in the role that Johnston might have fillled. Spangher may lack the classiness that LJ has with ball in hand but he is stronger, possibly a bit quicker and instinctiveness more willing to throw himself into contests than LJ has yet shown. He is also still relatively young. I suspect that it was Spangher's late season cameos that persuaded the Swans that Johnston was expendable - ie not that they necessarily wanted to trade him out but that if they needed to in order to secure other players who could add more in different roles, the team could afford to lose him.
    Very succinct summary, cheers Liz.

I would not be surprised if he puts a bit of bulk on and turns into a very handy half forward flanker (though not too handy ha). Hope he goes well.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by nomae View Post
    Very succinct summary, cheers Liz.

I would not be surprised if he puts a bit of bulk on and turns into a very handy half forward flanker (though not too handy ha). Hope he goes well.
    Second all that!

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Goran Ivanisevic mad me thinks
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Jeez, leave the kid alone.
    Superman still wears Brett Kirk Pyjamas

Living in 2005
    Thought it was a nice press conference, got a bit tongue tied a few times (Guess he really hasn't been exposed to media for a while). Hope he goes well (except against us!)

Veterans List
    Agree with your summary Liz, spot on.

After seeing Tommy Walsh on the telly in the hybrid game I'm happy with the trade. We wouldn't have got it done without letting LJ go.

Hope LJ makes the grade at the Cows, just not at too high a standard but all will be forgotten by us if Walsh and Armstrong make our 22 better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12