Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: First game of the season - Swans v GWS

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    I have a mental picture here. Later down the track. Jarred Crouch is an assistant coach, and he has been allocated media duties. Replies to all questions "none of your business".

So ladies and gents of the redandwhite code, it could be worse!
    The Alan Jeans and Mick Malthouse standard reply

Quote Originally Posted by CJK View Post
    Today's Fin Review has the Chairman of the Canberra Giants saying they are aiming to win between 1 and 3 games this year.

At least he wasnt saying that they'd win the comp. Now that would be silly.

Still no one expected the Suns to win a game at all - so they proved the doubting Thomas's/Thomasina's wrong - even if it wasnt against quality opposition - they still did way better than anyone expected.
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

Veterans List
    I still stick with my "GWS won't win a game" stance.

I've had a good look at the GWS list and it is a fair bit short of the Gold Coast list of last year. Can't see any team having such an off day that GWS could win a game this year.

I also have had a good look at GWS and I think you are wrong 707. I think they will win a few games and they will push a few sides. They have a few experienced players at the end of careers and a couple of mature recruits.

Dean Brogan (Port Premiership player & tough guy)

Chad Cornes (Port Utility, probably play forward for GWS)

Phil Davis (Crows are really pissed off he went to GWS)

Isreal Folau (has been developing very well for a convert)

James McDonald (Ex Melb veteran and top performer)

Rhyce Palmer (Dockers are idiots not to keep this bloke real talent here)

Luke Power (How mant GF's with Brissie? Great player still & was good last year)

Sentanta O'Hailpin (much maligned at Carlton I think will be better here)

Ton Scully ( Number 1 draft pick and top player already)

Callan Ward (Top talent will be missed by Bullies)

Mature Age Recruits

Steve Clifton (24) Liston Trophy Winner in the VFL. You have to be pretty good to win a B&F Award at this level. I suggest a very good pick up

Jonathon Giles (23) A ruckman who was on Port Adelaide's list but was delisted. He transferred from Central to Sturt in the SANFL and was SANFL Ruckman of the year last year

Tim Mohr (23) Casey Scorpions B & F last year and a tall 6'3" fast utility

Sam Reid (22) The All Australian Acadamy player voted most valuable player on tour of South Africa

I think they have recruited very well even though some of the players could be seen as over the hill. They will have an impact on the younger blokes. A few premiership players here.

On paper compared to the other lists they will struggle to win any games but as we know footy isn't played on paper and they may jag a couple of victories against the weaker opponents.

Fearless Predictions: 2 wins - GWS to beat the Suns in Canberra and Port at the Showgrounds.

Swans by 78 and 112 in the 2 games this year.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    On paper compared to the other lists they will struggle to win any games but as we know footy isn't played on paper and they may jag a couple of victories against the weaker opponents.

Fearless Predictions: 2 wins - GWS to beat the Suns in Canberra and Port at the Showgrounds.

Swans by 78 and 112 in the 2 games this year.
    That is a big prediction Al. I think they will do better than that. I think Port will be lucky to even get within 100 points of most sides in the comp. They haven't really done a great deal about their list and they decided on not going for Leon! I think they are done & dusted for at least 5 years. Bullies are on the way out and so are the Saints and at board level they are already starting to self combust. They haven't really recruited that well and Watters first draft will really be his next. North will try but struggle against the really good sides. The Crows are rebuilding but had a couple of kicks in the face when Davis & Armstrong walked. They virtually have no top ruckmen and their forward line is a bit sus and if they are lazy they leak goals. So I reckon GWS are a shot against all of these with North being the hardest. I forgot Brissie & Richmond. They could easily beat brissie and Richmond go on holidays every three weeks and then have a mid season break. GCS are a shot of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    yeah how many times "on paper" were we supposed to easily dispose of a side only to lose and lose badly?? too many to list. Oh well we jsut have to wait and see I guess.
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

Just booked my flights for the season's opener. No dramas for me going to Homebush. Easier to get there for interstaters IMHO (special events bus from Roseville).

I am sure my one-eyed kids will enjoy a good old fashioned flogging. Don't want to start counting my chickens, but I do feel confident there is more than 100 of them for this game.

Bring on 2012. Forever the optimist, I have a good feeling about this year. We are older, stronger and wiser than 2011 and we did alright last year.

Veterans List
    Administrators, don't lose this thread as it will be needed at end of August.

Wolftone, if they have no injuries then 14 will be mature bodies, very mature in some cases, plus another five of those are new/ish to AFL at top level. That means eight kids at a minimum each week. I think every other team including Poor Power can more than match GWS - on paper, and should do so on the field as well. I just don't think all 14of the mature types and the minimum eight kids can all get it together on the one day against a poor team having a downer day.

I say again, GWS will not win a game in 2012!

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    yeah how many times "on paper" were we supposed to easily dispose of a side only to lose and lose badly?? too many to list. Oh well we just have to wait and see I guess.
    At the top of that list must surely be the nightmare against Richmond at the MCG last year...followed closely by the Demons debacle at the same venue the previous year...

Anyway, Round 1 should be interesting, to say the least, but I can't see us losing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    yeah how many times "on paper" were we supposed to easily dispose of a side only to lose and lose badly?? too many to list. Oh well we jsut have to wait and see I guess.
    On paper we should never have made it in '96 but we did. The pundits said we would bow out early in the 2005 finals but did we? On paper is a good place for exam answers not a footy side I rather like mine on the field

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    On paper we should never have made it in '96 but we did. The pundits said we would bow out early in the 2005 finals but did we? On paper is a good place for exam answers not a footy side I rather like mine on the field
    Spot on! It's fun debating the merits of the sides on paper but once they cross that white line there are too many variables that can swing a contest either way.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast