Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RWO Unconventional Allstars Team

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar

RWO Unconventional Allstars Team

The Swans ?Bloods? culture is seen as the epitome of the team ethos, it helped bring us a premiership and a long run of final football. But it's a recent innovation, for most of the Swans history they have been a team dependent on outstanding champions and somewhat indulgent towards of unconventional.

I propose we nominate a squad of Swans players that didn't fit the mould:
    The brain snapper, the lackadaisical, the semi-talented cult-heroes, the eccentrics of one sort or another that we can then shape into an RWO "Unconventional Allstars" team.

I hope this process will provide some amusement during the off season (I don?t remember us doing this before).

Personally I'm not not sure exactly what the criteria should be, I'm expecting that might emerge as we go along.

I mean should there be a length of service requirement? Such players as Gary Cowton, Brian Roberts, Peter Everitt, Adam Heuskes and Billy Picken were all behaviorally well credentialed but spent only a small period of time with the red and white.

PS: Rather than have someone nominate a whole team, thereby killing off discussion, I suggest a nomination cap of say 2 or 3 players per post (with a brief justification)
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Anyway to get the ball rolling . . . .

I should like to nominate Edward Whitfield:
    An eccentric player for his whole career apparently. His effort in pulling his jumper over his head to avoid being reported in the '45 grand final was a highlight. But for sustained effort who can go past his ritual pre game drinkies. It is likely that Ted spent his entire playing career with a blood alcohol level of above .05!

With an honourable mention to John Ironmonger:
    A man with the mobility of a phone pole and the talent to go with it in a team of superstar runners. He was also brought before the AFL tribunal for an accidental spear-tackle on Collingwood's Graham Wright. Despite despite the total absence of any actual rule against the practice, they suspended him anyway.

I like this idea.

I have one in mind, but I need to check dates etc. Get back to you
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

I'd like to nominate Dermy......

Brereton's most notable act as a Swan was stomping on Hawthorn player Rayden Tallis' head while Tallis was on the ground in a pre-season game, earning him a seven-match suspension. He would receive another seven-week suspension in that same year when Richmond's Tony Free had his jaw broken with an alleged 'karate chop' by Brereton. His only other moment of note was being flattened by West Coast Eagles' captain John Worsfold. The Swans delisted Brereton the same year.

David Rhys-Jones deserves a mention too with the VFL/AFL record for the most ever tribunal appearances with 25......although they were mostly with Carlton

Capper - Eccentric idiot that could play but wouldn't fit in with the "bloods" culture.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Goes up to 11
    Capper for me too.

Also another vote for Adam Heuskes - I especially liked the story from about '96 where he sewed a dead fish into the door lining of a teammate's (Greg Stafford maybe?) car - stunk it out for months until it was found.....

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Capper for me too.

Also another vote for Adam Heuskes - I especially liked the story from about '96 where he sewed a dead fish into the door lining of a teammate's (Greg Stafford maybe?) car - stunk it out for months until it was found.....
    Ah yes, Mr Heuskes

Adam's Special Cross-over Drill
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Adam's Special Cross-over Drill[/url]
    A nice ensemble (although it's a pity about the elastic sided RM Williams')

I'll state the obvious and say Nick Davis.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Just wild about Harry
    Didnt we have a FF who was being investigated for rigging a greyhound race?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    Didnt we have a FF who was being investigated for rigging a greyhound race?
    No we didn't but we did have a FF who was investigated for greyhound stud dog irregularities although I'm not sure of the final verdict.

I often wonder how many goals Lockett would have kicked if he plyed under the current no arm chopping, no holding, no scragging rules. May have kicked double figures most games I would have thought, hmmmm ......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast