Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sydney Uni Underachievers??

Sydney Uni Underachievers??

It was widely regarded that Sydney Uni had the best list in the Sydney AFL for the past 2 years - have they massively under achieved by not winning any silverware???

A lost grand final after being unbeatable all year, and then topping up with some gun players from rival clubs and failing to make a grand final?

Thoughts?

On a fishing expedition there, Lions.

Cannot doubt they have been successful since admission to PD and have a swag of teams/players that are always competitive. Will find it tougher this year no doubt with each team going up a notch as a NEAFL club but certainly can't bag them for where they are today.

In saying that, many of us are grateful that they bought in the pathway programme for the 18's. Great forward thinking

Almost Football Legend
    I'm sure you'll get a bite CTL.....

But next year will be a test for both them and East Coast, when it'll be their ressies in Premier Division. Since we've gone to the divisional structure, senior teams have nearly always beaten reserves teams, and I can't help thinking there's a good chance that will happen at Premier Division level as well.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Quote Originally Posted by Carn the Lions View Post
    It was widely regarded that Sydney Uni had the best list in the Sydney AFL for the past 2 years - have they massively under achieved by not winning any silverware???

A lost grand final after being unbeatable all year, and then topping up with some gun players from rival clubs and failing to make a grand final?

Thoughts?
    Injuries got the better of the senior team this year - McConnochie, Lee and Dugmore hardly played and they would be in the top six at the club comfortably. Throw in the fact that we were missing Brain, Murphy, Thompson and Barton for most of the year to GWS and the Swans and it starts to add up. As for 2010, the better side on the day wins GFs and to East Coast's credit (and our dismay) they were the better side. We are under no illusions as to how difficult 2012 is going to be - I'm sure ECE feel the same way.

That said, I have no idea what the point of your post is. Given that Wollongong have won about 10 games in the last 5 years I think it's a bit rich of you to have a dip at anyone.

Commentary Team Captain BeeEmmAre's Avatar
    You had the argument won until you bit back!

That's exactly what I reckon CTL would have been looking for.
    "It's up to the rest of the players in the room to make a new batch of premiership players next year," Adam Goodes, triple Bob Skilton Medallist, October 7, 2011.

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Student View Post
    Throw in the fact that we were missing Brain, Murphy, Thompson and Barton for most of the year to GWS and the Swans and it starts to add up
    Barton played 15 games, including both finals. McConnochie also played both finals.

But student never lets the facts get in the way of a good yarn

Quote Originally Posted by ShortHalfHead View Post

Dispassionate argumentation of proven facts isn't an attribute that many on here could boast about.

Barton played 15 games, including both finals. McConnochie also played both finals.

So Tim played 12 out of 18 games during the H&A season, that's great - I'm sure at the start of the year the club had pencilled him in to play half a dozen games in the NEAFL. Besides, I'm sure lots of other clubs donated four of their PD side to NEAFL teams for the majority of the season. Brain, Murphy and Thompson were able to play 10 games for Uni between them which was a diabolical result for the club. As a club, you obviously want the boys to play at the highest level they can and spending time with the NEAFL squads was no doubt an invaluable experience... however it didn't really help on-field in 2011.

By the way, we played 3 finals - two of which McConnochie played in. Never mind the fact that they were virtually his first games of the season, if you're going to suggest that I'm the one distorting the truth then my suggestion would be that you get your own facts straight.

Quote Originally Posted by The Student View Post
    So Tim played 12 out of 18 games during the H&A season, that's great - I'm sure at the start of the year the club had pencilled him in to play half a dozen games in the NEAFL. Besides, I'm sure lots of other clubs donated four of their PD side to NEAFL teams for the majority of the season. Brain, Murphy and Thompson were able to play 10 games for Uni between them which was a diabolical result for the club. As a club, you obviously want the boys to play at the highest level they can and spending time with the NEAFL squads was no doubt an invaluable experience... however it didn't really help on-field in 2011.

By the way, we played 3 finals - two of which McConnochie played in. Never mind the fact that they were virtually his first games of the season, if you're going to suggest that I'm the one distorting the truth then my suggestion would be that you get your own facts straight.
    If your maths tell you that playing 15 out of 20 games means "missing most of the year", I would be changing universities

If your maths tell you that playing 15 out of 20 games means "missing most of the year", I would be changing universities

BWAHAHAHAHAHA Classic
    The edge is not the limit, It's just the starting point...

I feel its worth pointing out that four players were collectively named as having missed most of the year. Roughly 90 games possible between them.
    Last edited by Shotties; 8th November 2011 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Norris Lurker View Post
    I'm sure you'll get a bite CTL.....

But next year will be a test for both them and East Coast, when it'll be their ressies in Premier Division. Since we've gone to the divisional structure, senior teams have nearly always beaten reserves teams, and I can't help thinking there's a good chance that will happen at Premier Division level as well.
    I suspect that ECE may maker the transition to NEAFL a LOT easier than Sydney Uni. Having said that I think ECE will also struggle though they may well poach a heap of gun players from Penno, whose last season was very disappointing and symptomatic of the second year syndrome that clubs under King Kev suffer from.

Over time if the NEAFL becomes established as a genuine possible pathway to AFL then prehaps talented young players will flock there but for now unless the money offered is substantial I think most players would remain loyal to their local clubs. There's also the donwside of more travelling and the fact that some players will find the more intense environment less enjoyable. Campbelltown has loads of cash and were the best placed side geographically to make the ACTAFL switch (The NEAFL is essentially an expanded ACTAFL) and that was not sustainable.

Unless both these clubs get substantial financial assistance from the AFL it will be a struggle. I also think that the scholarship based model that serves Syd Uni so well at SFL level may not translate to NEAFL.

Time will tell of course...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast