Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Revisited

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar

2005 Revisited

My son must be sick of cricket and tennis as, over the last week or so, he's dusted off the videos of the 2005 finals and watched them instead. I've watched them with him - still get nervous!

Some observations.

1. We were AWESOME!
    2. The umps smashed us in all finals games except for the GF.
    3. Interesting to note how some things that were acceptable in 2005 would be seen today. Especially, deliberately putting the ball out of bounds, deliberately defensively putting the ball over the goal line and head high tackles. In the semi against Geelong, LRT was hit head high by an opponent and didn't even get a free kick! Today, the Geelong player would have been suspended.
    4. We were AWESOME!
    5. The commentary by Anthony Hudson, a Geelong supporter, in our semi final win against the Cats was brilliant.
    6. Our 7 goals in 15 minutes blitz of St.Kilda in the PF was the most exhilarating period of Swans football I've seen in 50 years of supporting the Bloods.
    7. Although not the most spectacular, Leo Barry's mark in the GF was the most significant mark taken in AFL history.
    8. We were AWESOME!

Bring on 2012, I say!

The Wests Tigers won the comp as well which was AWESOME.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Yes I have watched footage of the GF on many occasions but I don't have copies of the games. I would dearly love to get hold of copies but the last time I tried up in Coffs they didn't have them anywhere. Not even Rebel Sport had any AFL. Mind you now I am in Sydney I could probably get them from the club when I have the money.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This thread (like all threads, really!) needs more DAVO!
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Yep totally agree Stell. If it weren't for Dickie, Huddo would have been far, far more excited on that particular friday night!

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    thats my Stell - we will keep talking up Davo to anyone who will listen!! I wish we still had Davo.
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

Am I right in thinking we now have only 4 of the 2005 heroes still on our list - Goodes, O'Keefe, LRT and J Bolton.

... while there are 4 others still playing AFL - Schneider, Buchanan, Dempster and Jolly.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    5. The commentary by Anthony Hudson, a Geelong supporter, in our semi final win against the Cats was brilliant.
    6. Our 7 goals in 15 minutes blitz of St.Kilda in the PF was the most exhilarating period of Swans football I've seen in 50 years of supporting the Bloods.
    7. Although not the most spectacular, Leo Barry's mark in the GF was the most significant mark taken in AFL history.
    Right on.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Never understood why we let the hobbits go.

Watched all of 2005 this year, except the Grand Final. My stomach still turns in knots of nerves. I KNOW we won, but what if, just what if.....because I am watching a replay they lose!!!
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Yes I have watched footage of the GF on many occasions but I don't have copies of the games. I would dearly love to get hold of copies but the last time I tried up in Coffs they didn't have them anywhere. Not even Rebel Sport had any AFL. Mind you now I am in Sydney I could probably get them from the club when I have the money.
    try here 2005 afl grand final dvd | eBay
    Always Loyal

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Never understood why we let the hobbits go.
    I think we let the wrong hobbit go in hindsight. At the time, Monty was perceived to have a better work ethic and the two of them were competing for a single spot. Much as Monty was very slightly my favourite at that stage, methinks hanging on to Schneider would have been a better move.

Still, what happens happens, and who's to say Schneider would have rejuvenated his career like he has, if he had stayed.

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

Up There For Sydney! Adelaide Swan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    My son must be sick of cricket and tennis as, over the last week or so, he's dusted off the videos of the 2005 finals and watched them instead. I've watched them with him - still get nervous!

Some observations.

1. We were AWESOME!
    2. The umps smashed us in all finals games except for the GF.
    3. Interesting to note how some things that were acceptable in 2005 would be seen today. Especially, deliberately putting the ball out of bounds, deliberately defensively putting the ball over the goal line and head high tackles. In the semi against Geelong, LRT was hit head high by an opponent and didn't even get a free kick! Today, the Geelong player would have been suspended.
    4. We were AWESOME!
    8. We were AWESOME!

Bring on 2012, I say!
    I was so emotional after our Grand Final win.

One of the only times I've shed tears after a football match.

It was such an unbelievable day, I can't believe 7 years has passed since then.

Although I do regard the semi against Geelong as the better game.

Anthony Hudson stamped himself as one of the game's best commentators that night.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast