Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: NAB Cup Round 1: Swans v Saints v Cats

Just wild about Harry
    For me, the conclusions I draw from the night are:
    Walsh - is not the messiah and needs a lot of work. I was a little disappointed but then he didnt play the intra club game so was short of a gallop.
    Morton - drifted in and out but had a few good 2nd efforts. His tackling needs work
    Cunningham - so much Paul Kelly in the kid! As soon as I saw him walk I was reminded of the great man, and then his guts confirmed it. Works real hard and runs plus has some skill. Clearly the 'find' of the games for us tonight.
    Pyke - has definitely overtaken Seaby and I agree with the previous post that White may struggle this year and could move on at the end of the season.
    Biggs - looked a bit shell-shocked against a rampant Geelong, but who wouldnt?
    Teddy - looked superb and cut off a number of attacks with his courage and timing.
    Reg - actually hit some targets tonight. Pity he wasted them in the pre-season. To be fair, he had a good game.
    Reid - what has the kid done in the off-season?!? He is becoming huge!
    Parker - a great game and will one day win an Academy Award for staging in front of goals (it worked)

Geelong - it's not fair that they can be so good and their kids just slot in so well
    St Kilda - ok, not their full team or anything and first hit-out, etc, but based on this EARLY call they simply wont make the eight.

All in all, a good outing.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    Cunningham - so much Paul Kelly in the kid! As soon as I saw him walk I was reminded of the great man, and then his guts confirmed it. Works real hard and runs plus has some skill. Clearly the 'find' of the games for us tonight.
    +1

Right down to the haircut!

Pushing for Selection
    I think I need to put money on Parker for the Brownlow in 2014 Needs another year to fill out then he is going to be a star. I just hope we can hold onto him.

I think Morton will suprise all of us this season. He does need to work on defensice pressure but, I think he will fill a roll in the forward line that we have been lacking.

Senior Player
    Jetta, Parker and Pyke the standouts above expectations for mine. Jetta deserves to hold his spot in the team and Pyke is now clearly the second ruck with the most upside.

Sammy continues apace.

Pushing for Selection
    I like seaby. Maybe it's because I'm from perth but, looking at Pyke tonight (who I have liked from the start) he made Seaby look slow and laborious like a ruckmen from the early to mid 90's.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by desredandwhite View Post
    Some LOL from my Twitter feed... FWIW I agree with the lad

That's excellent.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Was at the ground. Very warm nonetheless enjoyable.

Luke Parker - really tough and aggressive, looks ready for another level - definately a step up
    Lewis Jetta - He's a wingman, played the role well, his job is to sit off packs get fed the ball, looks ready for a step up
    Mike Pyke - Was good, will probably get ahead of Seaby and White, given he is quick and powerful, you get the feeling he will monster a team one day, impressive

Reid - great first game still needs work on kicking but still a way to go, but his marking was impressive
    Cunningham - I don't see the Kelly comparison, but a quick prospect, good to see us get more speed

Walsh - I hope they persist he is a real physical presence, looked off the pace, but strong and would be a great foil for Reid, defenders will not back back with him out that, definately persist

Keiran Jack - looked fit again
    Lockyer - Yeah liked him, smaller but looks a likely full back
    Mitch Morton - liked listening to him on radio, sounds like he is maturing, paniced with the football a bit, did not chase in a way I would expect. He is an endurance type half forward so let's see home he goes in the real thing. But I was impressed. Always good to see someone turn their career around

Ted Richards - looks set to play his best footy

My hope is we rest JPK, Bolton, Mumford, Jack a few others through the pre season, give some other players a go
    You don't ban those who supported your opponent, you make them wallow in their loserdom by covering your victory! You sit them in the front row. You give them a hat! Toby Ziegler

I am glad people now see what I could see last year in Luke Parker. The potential was huge and his steadiness under pressure in his first season astounded me. He has the 'Footy Smarts' and I agree a potential Brownlow winner. Glad Pykie is fulfilling potential as he is a very mobile big guy. I didn't see the game tonight, I was about to go to the local and got a call from a mate on the home phone and it lasted till 8.30pm, bugger. By the time I got there we were coming off the ground after the Geelong game GRRR! Cunningham! I saw him in the Intra and was very impressed I am glad he impressed under enemy fire because another versatile MF, HF, HB who knows how to get the pill is always good. On Reid and kicking, it is a matter of confidence, he needs to talk to the Sports Psychologist. He still drops the ball far too high, needs the message from kicking coaches to sink in, therefore Psychologist. I had a nightmare last night that he was taking all these speckies and trying to give the ball off all the time even from 10 metres out and it was all going wrong AAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!

So much to lift your spirits in the first game.
    Parker will not get much bigger, he was all muscle from the age of 18, smart as, and a future leader of the club, and I am sure Jude will be pleased to know that one day he will be leaving his possie in competent and trusted hands. (Note: anyone remember when Jude started? blond, bright red cheeks, bouncing around like a puppy - who knew?) Anyway, his crash after being belted under the armpit was a gem, not too much, not enough to get the other guy reported, just right.
    Jetts impressed me with his tackle - the technique was unique and it worked. He has obviously worked.
    Harry, well he was a pleasant surprise - on the choo choo train, but he may need a bit of stamina work yet, so doubt we can get too enthusiastic too soon. He is also a rookie.
    Sam, doesn't look so much like a choir boy - those shoulders are works of art, but he is still a kid, although a very big one, it will take time for a unit as big as he is to get to his full potential. Even MickyO was crap at kicking sometimes, in amongst the brilliant bits.
    Ted, oh I do love Ted. And how long has it taken him to get to Dunks status? (in my mind that is) - the joy of watching the never say die attitudes in this team.
    Nipper, disappointed but not surprisingly. Consistency has always been his bugbear.
    Lockyer, its all there, but it will need work to fully develop.
    Pyke - bless the man, he has changed his shape a bit, he was moving right up the ground, he can sure ruck with the best of them. Second ruckman for me.
    Morton - aha! looks like its all there, he just needs these games to get the rhythm of the Swans game plan down pat.
    Nice to see Kizza playing without issues. Hard and fast.
    Seaby - umm, dunno what was going on there. May have read it wrong, but he didn't look quite right.

Enjoyed watching the games, and at 33 degrees at night it must have been a shocker to play in, however as the commentators said, no team has won two games, its still summer, how do they expect a team who has already played 40 minutes in 33 degree heat plus humidity to compete effectively against a team which has been sitting in air conditioned change rooms!

PS: Loved the shot of the boys in their red gear watching over the fence, most of them sporting a back pack - they looked like Auskick kids
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

well based on goal difference we won the night. I love this time of year as you can watch the game without the usual stress.

Very happy with the whole team in the first game, particularly the defence, the quick movement, Goodes, Bolton, Parker, Pyke, Reid, Morton etc. Not happy with the umpiring already, that was my only complaint. Note also it is the highest score kicked in any Rd 1 NAB cup game to date this year. Still always the 'dour' swans right...

Second game was disappointing but put it down to the conditions... It was frustrating when we couldn't move the ball from defence and kept giving the ball back. A big positive was the defence again, given how much ball the Cats had it was a good effort to keep the score to what it was.

Just a word of warning on Cunningham. I loved what he did last night, but it was just a preseason game. If you remember back to last year Brian Sumner had a really good game in the corresponding game and he is going to play in the SANFL this year. Jett's was good also in the preseason last year and the left it there.
    Judgments on wether a player can win a brownlow are often best made after the serious stuff starts.
    Having said that I can't wait to see Bolton Parker and Kennedy this year

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Forward View Post
    Just a word of warning on Cunningham. I loved what he did last night, but it was just a preseason game. If you remember back to last year Brian Sumner had a really good game in the corresponding game and he is going to play in the SANFL this year. Jett's was good also in the preseason last year and the left it there.
    Judgments on wether a player can win a brownlow are often best made after the serious stuff starts.
    Having said that I can't wait to see Bolton Parker and Kennedy this year
    I have no doubt in my mind that sumner would have played a great season last year for us, if he didnt have personal issues and have to leave. Sumner had a bucketload of talent and i for one was sad to see him go.