Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can the Sydney Swans win the Premiership?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Player

Can the Sydney Swans win the Premiership?

Do the Sydney Swans have what it takes to win the 2012 AFL Premiership? | The Roar

Pretty good analysis I think. Notices how good our midfield actually is, rates our defence, but reckons it's all on Sammy.

If it all comes down to Sam's performance, we could be in worse shape, still I believe another year or two for Sam to really come into his own, and by then we may be missing a couple of our more experienced players. We have had some success though, in finding ready made players like Parker, Rohan, AJ, and getting Benny and JPK was a major boost. It will be an interesting year to see if any of the new recruits stand up, hopefully better than Everitt has so far. I think depth will become a major factor as the year wears on
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Pretty decent article (says a died in the redandwhite wool tragic) about the Swans and team in general. Worth a read.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Genuinely well-written article. Must be a Sydneysider; no Melbourne journo knows that much about the Swans.

Yet it worries me how relevant his points were... who's going to kick all our goals this year? (Besides Adam's 40 odd)

Quote Originally Posted by nomae View Post
    Genuinely well-written article. Must be a Sydneysider; no Melbourne journo knows that much about the Swans.

Yet it worries me how relevant his points were... who's going to kick all our goals this year? (Besides Adam's 40 odd)
    Isn't this the reason Morton and Walsh were brought in?
    The club realized that there was too much load on Sammy and have set about trying to correct it. The author doesn't seem to have explored that avenue at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    Isn't this the reason Morton and Walsh were brought in?
    The club realized that there was too much load on Sammy and have set about trying to correct it. The author doesn't seem to have explored that avenue at all.
    For sure. Morton kicked 41 goals for Richmond last year. If he can do that for us and Reid straightens up, we're 60-odd goals better than last year.

We have a pretty friendly draw, so if we can also improve our field disposal we're a good chance for the four. The big three still look beyond us at this stage.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

As much as I love us I don't think we are quite there due to our ball use.....but there is always the image of that ice skater..Bradley/bradford/bradfield ..to hang on to.Who knows who will get injured or develop tensions etc and we will be the last ones standing....Just watched Shawshank redemption last night and there is always hope.
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

Quote Originally Posted by satchmopugdog View Post
    As much as I love us I don't think we are quite there due to our ball use.....but there is always the image of that ice skater..Bradley/bradford/bradfield ..to hang on to.Who knows who will get injured or develop tensions etc and we will be the last ones standing....Just watched Shawshank redemption last night and there is always hope.
    Bradbury , one of the great moments in Australian sporting history.

As for goals, looking at last weeks games I think we will adopt a more attacking game plan this year and it may convert into more goals.

I do also begrudgingly agree with the article, will be a stretch to lift the flag. With the potential of the group I think it will take a good run with injury and each player to play to their maximum potential as individuals and as a team. Top four should be the goal for mine and with a little....lot of luck anything can happen from there.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Before he was so "lucky", Steve Bradbury twice made it to being among the top 5 exponents of his sport out of all the male human beings on the planet. The guy was an absolute gun. If he is your comparator, you are asking for the Swans to cop a break at the 34 minute mark of the final quarter after having made it to the Grand Final. I think we need a lot more luck than that.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by satchmopugdog View Post
    Before he was so "lucky", Steve Bradbury twice made it to being among the top 5 exponents of his sport out of all the male human beings on the planet. The guy was an absolute gun. If he is your comparator, you are asking for the Swans to cop a break at the 34 minute mark of the final quarter after having made it to the Grand Final. I think we need a lot more luck than that.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    For sure. Morton kicked 41 goals for Richmond last year. If he can do that for us and Reid straightens up, we're 60-odd goals better than last year.
    It was 2009 that Morton kicked 41 goals. If he can recapture that kind of form this year, we'll be looking good. Also, Pyke needs to play FF/ruck. As well as taking some heat off Sam, he can take a good contested mark and he can kick. Can also ruck. For mine, we need to play both Mumford and Pyke.

Yes, I think it's a reasonable assessment. It concludes we are better than last year and can make the top 4 but still off the pace of the front-runners. I like to see what the professional punters think as a comparison. Sportbet quoting the following:

Swans to:

Make Top 8 $1.82
    Make Top 4 $4
    To Make GF $13
    To win GF $31
    ... they rate us 8th on each of these bets, so they think we will over-achieve if we make top 4.

They also quote Swans to:
    Be Top Non-Vic Team $5 (they rate us 3rd, behind WCE and Freo)

I've put my money on Top 8, Top 4 and Top Non-Vic Team
    CIA Agent to Policeman: "Have you ever had anti-terrorist training?"
    Policeman: "Yes, I was married once."

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast