Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

Thread: Another thread about the Melbourne media having NFI about Sydney Footy...

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    I think that's a bit harsh on both Whateley and Sheehan, especially Whateley who I consider one of the very best sports journos/callers in the country.
    I used to be a big fan of ABC Radio's footy coverage.
    A couple of years ago when we flogged Geelong at the SCG by about 100 points, Whateley had a huge melt-down the next morning on radio - re: signing of Franklin & Tippett. (Even Mark MacLure ridiculed his outburst!)
    Whateley is a Cats supporter thru. & thru. & showed his bias when he should have been impartial.
    I no longer listen to ABC Radio when he's "on".

I like Gerard as a caller. I think he's about the best going around. His calling in Rio was absolutely top-shelf.

Intelligent and articulate but very soft unless it's the the popular view.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    I like Gerard as a caller. I think he's about the best going around. His calling in Rio was absolutely top-shelf.

Agree that Gerard is very good and disagree that he is soft.

I must have missed the Tippo/Buddy rant you refer to but I can't think of a big issue he has side-stepped in any way.

He seems to address all the big issues through the various outlets he works (AFL 360, ABC News 24 Offsiders and extended analysis on ABC Grandstand's footy coverage). Don't forget that he broke a lot of the developments around the Essendon saga and was very thorough and factual in his coverage of the story leads he was leaked or uncovered throughout that epic.

Senior Player
    Slightly off topic, but I was at Bradman luncheon at MCC today. Gerard was MC and interviewed Hodge(vic cricketer, not Hawks man). He and Hodge did not hold back at all re Steve Smith coming home for "rest" halfway through an overseas tour. Certainly not " soft!

Let's see Gerard take Eddie on. You won't hear a peep out of him.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 56-14 View Post
    I used to be a big fan of ABC Radio's footy coverage.
    A couple of years ago when we flogged Geelong at the SCG by about 100 points, Whateley had a huge melt-down the next morning on radio - re: signing of Franklin & Tippett. (Even Mark MacLure ridiculed his outburst!)
    Whateley is a Cats supporter thru. & thru. & showed his bias when he should have been impartial.
    I no longer listen to ABC Radio when he's "on".
    Yep, I must have heard the same thing because I have had exactly the same reaction over exactly the same issue. For someone allegedly intelligent, his analysis of that issue was as deep as the average toilet bowl. It was fact free partisan barracking, nothing more. No mention, for example, of the players we had offloaded ( and had retired in the preceding couple of years) to bring in two stars. I expected something more rounded and objective.
    That said, I also agree he is 15-30 IQ points ahead of the average AFL commentator (which could mean he's in the 16-31 range - if you use BT and Dermie as a reference - although in fairness I'd put him somewhat higher than that).
    Also in fairness, I must say his call of Kyle Chalmers' 100m freestyle gold at Rio was light years ahead of the TV commentary. He actually noticed that Chalmers was in contention earlier than the 98.75 metre mark.
    Moral of the story - Gerard is an excellent caller but he is as prone to petty jealousies and biases as anyone else when it comes to analysis.

Another thread about the Melbourne media having NFI about Sydney Footy...

Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    Moral of the story - Gerard is an excellent caller but he is as prone to petty jealousies and biases as anyone else when it comes to analysis.
    Yes, I agree. I heard/ saw Whateley do a real rant on 'Offsiders' about the Swans rorting COLA immediately after the announcement of our Buddy recruitment. A couple of others on the program were being a lot more analytical about how the Swans had funded it and looked a bit taken aback by Whateley's outburst.

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post

I think you will find Gerard agrees with you on this. He is the sports Messiah.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Yes, I agree. I heard/ saw Whateley do a real rant on 'Offsiders' about the Swans rorting COLA immediately after the announcement of our Buddy recruitment. A couple of others on the program were being a lot more analytical about how the Swans had funded it and looked a bit taken aback by Whateley's outburst.
    I missed this, and I'm surprised he did it. He wouldn't be the first commentator to lose his mind with regard to the Swans though. It's become disturbingly common.

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526