Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mark Seaby

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyburt View Post
    Disagree, there is just a change in the way ruck man play. We are lucky to have a big tap ruckman with a great tank and good second/third effort ability. The role is changing, the new ruck is blokes like big nicnat, Ryder, roughie etc etc.

The big ruckman using their body days are gone.
    Jarred Roughead is not a RUCKMAN! He is only doing that role because Max Bailey is injured. My Nephew is a long time Hawk member and he assures me as soon as Bailey and the young ruckman they are developing are ready Roughy goes back to full time forward

Big ruckmen are not outdated they are needed but they also have to be mobile today. Most ruckmen going around are very mobile and kids are taught mobility at an early age.

Would you prefer to see Pyke as back up to Mummy or Seaby? I rate Pylkes tapwork better, his tackling and his marking. Seaby's game sense and positioning is a litte better than Pykes. I think Pyke would offer more as 2nrd ruck/ Forward and i would like to se him in the side soon, whether with Seaby or Mummy.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jam View Post
    I know this is a little old, but it supports the idea that big-bodied ruckmen are valuable still:

News

For those that did not click through, the point was that while we tend to look at overall Hit-outs to assess ruckmen, when we go deeper and start assessing Hit-outs to advantage (to a player) or effective Hit-outs (Hit-outs that lead to first disposal for own team) the big bodied ruckmen are on top.
    I wonder what the Hit-outs to advantage or effective Hit-outs percentages are for the makeshift or part time ruckmen? Are they miles below those of the "real" ruckmen (my gut says yes but it would be nice to know).
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 26th April 2012 at 01:20 PM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Played well again today! Love his passion and am really hoping he can retain his spot when Mummy is back.

Seaby is a very good player for us, and IMO, a very under-rated player. I hope he plays many more games for us, because we seem to do well when he's in the team.

I am impressed with the way he thinks things through and makes the right decision. His taps to advantage are very good and if he can't mark he spoils to advantage too. A very good effort again today.

Played very well today again. It is fantastic to have such a good ruckman in reserve with Mummy's body not quite right at the moment. We play well with Seaby in the team, very well indeed.

It is a shame the way the game is evolving, as he is a fine ruckman that will not play over his career anywhere near as many games as he should.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Jarred Roughead is not a RUCKMAN! He is only doing that role because Max Bailey is injured. My Nephew is a long time Hawk member and he assures me as soon as Bailey and the young ruckman they are developing are ready Roughy goes back to full time forward
    Lol, well if your nephew is a long term hawk supporter then I will listen to his expert view.

Roughead is a relief forward/ruck, like white, lrt, Hawkins, cloke etc etc etc. few teams have the luxury of 2 real rucks who are mobile like WCE. Most teams run with one and a relief.

Seaby is a one dimensional ruckman. Mummy is better in all regards, tap, second effort, around the ground and taking marks forward. That is the point, which you clearly missed. Stick to bagging shaw and okeefe, you clearly have no idea

We are very lucky to have a quality ruckman to back up Mummy. As i've said before the evolution of the game, along with the sub rule, have conspired to change this man's career.
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by GongSwan View Post
    We are very lucky to have a quality ruckman to back up Mummy. As i've said before the evolution of the game, along with the sub rule, have conspired to change this man's career.
    Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Is it just my imagination, or is everyone that knows the second ruckman is dead under 6ft3?
    Lmao, mostly.

Sadly even those of us over that height realize that the writing is (too low) on the wall

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123