Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reid

great coaching and great decoy the last two weeks

the loose defender has been marking his space and opened up some great one on ones for us !!

victory team style !
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Veteran Site Admin
    I don't think he's out of form. I think he's just learning the game still, and learning how to compete against top quality defenders.

What I most love about Sam's football is that even when things aren't going his way, his head never drops. He never sooks when the ball isn't delivered to his advantage, and we never see more than a quizzical raise of the eyebrow or shrug of the shoulder when he doesn't get a free despite being manhandled in a contest. He never stops working to get to contests, and when he can't mark, he is usually effective at bringing the ball to ground, other than when the kick is clearly not to his advantage.

When he stops doing these things, maybe we can question his form. Until then, I am just enjoying watching him play and learn, and salivating over what he might become when he gets stronger and adds a few more tricks to his arsenal.

You raise a good point liz and that's something that probably isn't mentioned enough. He is never flustered by anything that happens on the field, to the point where I'd be surprised if he did vent his frustration at an umpire for an incorrect decision. Our Sam goes about his business and does the team things even when he's having a bad day and not getting many touches, I've got no doubt he'll be such a superstar for us.

Drop him!!!! You are seriously kidding right? What, replace him with Walsh you reckon !? Gotta be taking the piss, surely.

The kid was on fire against Freo before he got that knock to his shoulder. I don't think he's been 100% fit since but he's still contributing and talk of dropping him is just mad in my view.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

He definitely wasn't 100% fit against the Roos IMO plus they double-teamed him in defence. He is certainly in our best 22 (and well into the top half) so can't see any logic in dropping him, unless he is injured.

Sometimes he grimaces after hitting a pack so I wouldn't be surprised if his shoulder is still tender.

But to the point of the thread, he's not kicking goals consistently, but opposition defenders are not taking easy marks in our forward line when the ball bombs in. Our leading goal kickers are all smalls - Jetta 11, McGlynn 6, Bird 4, Bolton 4.

Works for me, but I agree it will be even better with another (functioning) big body in there, preferably Walsh or Spangher to lead wide and draw a man.
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

Goes up to 11
    He's a young guy, and a great player. If he needs a rest at some stage this year, I hope he gets one. He doesn't seem 100% right at the moment but hopefully he can play through that and, as others have said, take the main focus of the opposition's defense.

BTW, although I wouldn't be dropping people willy nilly like others sometimes suggest, if Walsh gets a chance I hope he gets to string a few games together. I can't see him learning any more in the NEAFL and he did look impressive in the International Rules, and I think he'd fit in well with Reid up forward. But I'm not suggesting we drop anyone from our recent great performances, so he'll just have to bide his time.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    if Walsh gets a chance I hope he gets to string a few games together. I can't see him learning any more in the NEAFL.
    While I hope too that Walsh gets a chance in the not too distant future, I don't agree about his capacity to learn in the NEAFL. His performances have been steadily improving at that level, and it is evident that he is learning from week to week.

Noone could seriously want to drop him. I agree if he needs a rest he should get it as the season goes, but he is important to the team even if he isn't having a good day.

He is 20 years old, he is going to be inconsistent. But every game he plays is another AFL game and more experience, and he gives us at least some structure to our forward line.

Senior Player
    Walsh spend two years playing in the VFL, so I think the main thing he has to learn in the NEAFL would be team-specific things, our structures and gameplans and the like.

Yeah, his only two years of playing Aussie rules. I'm not sure he's quite a post graduate student of our game. He'd be learning more than our game plan in the Magoos.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast