Thread: National Draft

RWO News

National Draft

The Swans have picked up two small midfielders from South Australia in today's AFL National Draft.

Overall, Sydney drafted four new youngsters (including three 17 year-olds), and re-drafted Amon Buchanan.

The picks were -

16. Joshua Willoughby (Glenelg, SANFL)
    born: 11 Jan 1986 : 175.6cm : 70kg
    Inside forward/midfielder originally from Bordertown FC. Joint winner of Sheehan Medal in the National AFL Under 16s 2002 - kicked four goals for SA against Vic Metro. AIS-AFL Academy and All-Australian U/18 honours in 2003. Year 12 student at Sacred Heart College.

The Adelaide Advertiser reports that Josh is naturally gifted with silky skills and an admirable amount of poise under pressure, plus an infectious personality.

"Even as a 12-year-old at Bordertown you've still got to work hard to be accepted as a peer and it's something I've worked hard on, not only football-wise but personality-wise as well."

"Ever since I started kicking a footy I've loved it," Willoughby, who grew up barracking for the Crows, said. "I used to drive mum crazy by kicking the footy on the roof and spending many days kicking the ball to myself in the front yard and taking hangers off of the trampoline."

Willoughby fought off osteitis pubis earlier in the season, has rolled an ankle twice and had a kneecap dislocated representing Australia in Ireland for the International Rules under-18 series.

As a result he could manage just two games as deputy vice-captain for his school in 2003. But that didn't prevent him from gaining All-Australian selection at the under-18 national championships in July or making his SANFL league debut in round 17 after being rated best-on-ground in the reserves the week before.

"My reserves game against Central was my best game of the year. It was a big highlight and a big confidence booster," Willoughby revealed. "And the league game against Norwood was an unbelievable experience."

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au...E25397,00.html

29. Timothy Schmidt (West Adelaide, SANFL)
    born: 14 June 1986 : 178cms : 79kg
    Inside midfielder originally from Robertstown FC. Joint U/16 B & F medal winner in 2002. Vice-captain of West Adelaide's U17 premiership winning team in 2002. AIS-AFL Academy member and SA U/18 representative in 2003.

Tim was captain of the SA U16's team in 2002 and was awarded the Dr. Henry Kneebone Award for excellence in training, dedication, skill improvement, punctuality and leadership.

Rated in the best three players in each of the three matches for SA in the National U16's Carnival in 2002. Winner of the Norm Grimm Medal presented by the SANFL, and tied with Willoughby for the Sheehan Medal.

45. Amon Buchanan - returning after temporarily delisted by Sydney.

47. Andrew Ericksen (Sandringham Dragons)
    born 17 July 1985 : 203cm : 90kg
    Towering tap ruckman from Scotch College, who played 7 TAC games for the Dragons in 2003, and polled Morrish Medal votes in 5 of them. Represented Vic Metro in the U16 and U18 national championships. All-Australian at U15 level.

Andrew is an all-round athlete who played top-level basketball at junior level. AIS-AFL Academy member in 2002.

59. Matthew Davis (North Adelaide, SANFL)
    born 23 June 1986 : 190cm : 90kg
    Tall midfielder originally from Jamestown, in country SA. Played U17 football (at CHF) with the Roosters in 2003, and recently promoted to the North Adelaide senior squad.

The Daily Telegraph reports that Swans recruitment manager Rick Barham puts it down to a stroke of luck because Matt elected to concentrate on his Year 12 exams to get into university to study sports science and only played for North Adelaide under-17s three times.

"Matt is very much a project player but he's really athletic, he's got great speed, is lightning quick, and he can jump over the moon," Barham said. "Plus he's fairly strong for his lean build and a very good tackler in close."

"We knew he could play a little bit after watching him at country level as a 16 or 17-year-old kid up against men, but that was about all," said Barham. "We didn't know how tall he really was, we didn't know he was a gun student, we didn't know he had a 70cm vertical jump, we didn't know he was an excellent sprinter."

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0...-23211,00.html
    Last edited by RWO News; 27th November 2003 at 09:22 PM.