Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Swans Geelong match thread

[QUOTE=tantrum;577108]Gee, just noticed I haven't posted since October 2007 and have 388 posts. Thought it was going to say 13 posts or something like that. I had no idea I'd posted so often here. :-o

Welcome back. We missed your opaque, intoxicated views.
    "Give a man an airline and he will rob the people. Give a man a government and he will rob the world"

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I thought this game - or the reasons for the Geelong come-back - were a little different to the Essendon game. As much as anything it was a very experienced and smart team finding a way to work through the structures that Sydney had in place and wrest back control. The structural issues in our forward line also became more apparent as the game wore on and Geelong started to make it far harder for Sydney to cut them up on the rebound out of defence. Unlike the Bombers game last quarter, where we could barely get our hands on the ball, I thought we had plenty of opportunities today in the final term but all the smaller players were sucked so far up the ground that long kicks into our forward line were just getting no result. We definitely could have done with a TDL in there today, at the expense of one of the taller players.
    Great take on the game, Liz. Very insightful.
    "Give a man an airline and he will rob the people. Give a man a government and he will rob the world"

Quote Originally Posted by Swans500 View Post
    LOLOL...had to laugh politely at the "seriously cold" line.....where I live people go to the "football" to watch The Steelers and the cup of beer freezes almost solid in several minutes ...and they think they are enjoying themselves...
    It gets so cold in Adelaide the Crows supporters interfere with themselves for warmth.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    A couple of observations:

I think LRT is in the team for ruck back up right now. The backline is settled and unless there is an injury to say Grundy or Ted then they will be loathe to change that structure and personnel.

Regarding fade outs: In 3 games against top sides we have been creamed in the first 10 minutes of the last quarter. Adelaide did it and we nearly got back and won the game. Essendon ripped us apart and Geelong found 3 quick goals. In each of these phases we have been done over on clearances both from the centre and elsewhere. Dangerfield had a purple patch at the start of the last quarter. It is almost as if they go to sleep. We must have Mumford starting on the ball in the last quarter and our hardest midfielders in the centre and around stoppages to make sure it doesn't happen again. The footy just seems to leak out to outside opposition players in these phases. No blocking, no fancy stuff, just find the footy.
    Insightful observation. Makes much sense.

Veterans List
    Just watched the last quarter replay.

We had chances up forward in that last quarter and I noticed we did things that we didn't do in the first quarter.

Jetta got clear heading inside 50 but chose to do a short kick that fell short.
    Armstrong much the same when he only had to pop it over the top to Jetta who had dropped off his man, and had a clear run into goal from 20 metres.
    Bird twice flew for pack marks instead of sitting behind the pack. Both times the ball would have gone off the pack and behind where he should have been.
    Why is that cruel bounces only happen in the last quarter in tight matches. On at least 3 occasions we had the ball infront of us only to see it do a leg or off break. At least one resulted in a goal.
    Grundy's horrible kick over the top to Mattner who was at least 30 metres in the clear. Mathews commented that our foot disposal had dropped away as the match went on.
    From 7 minutes left on the clock, after Geelong hit the lead, we had the footy mostly in our control.

Just watched the middle 2 quarters (having seen the last few minutes last night including shocking 50 call) and there were at least SEVEN technical fifties not paid to Sydney. I happen to agree that they shouldn't be paid but the onre that was...unbelievable. The worst NON decision was when reid got a surprise free in the centre square. the umps held up play so as not to let Geelong get players back....when Reid actually kicked the ball there was a Geelong player within one metre of his right hand. they've been paying those all year....Swans....nada.

Also all year for every other team it's "back a metre" when the defender runs to the mark....especially when the player with the ball is 5-10 metres back from the mark...but with the Swans it's "Have a goal mate"

Goodes decision is the equal worst ever decision in the history of football (with the WC prelim one) No umpire has EVER called play on EVER in history when a player feigns a handball but stands stays on his line. In fact I can think of 20 times at least that a player has received a fifty because the man on the mark gets taken in by the feint.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Hey - one quarter of ours was enough to beat three quarters of theirs. Who would have thought?

And have to think that hanging on the way they have over the last two games would give the boys lots of confidence that they'll be ok in the clinches when the business end of the season rolls around.

Just watched Jetstar's goal again - joy - absolute joy! And skill and class and all that too! He is a young man really enjoying his footy at the moment and so great to see.

And now Pykey's mark and goal. Leaving out the Irish (who start a fair way ahead in terms of similarity between their game and ours), he's the code cross over success story the AFL world should be talking about. Karmichael and Izzy have some catching up to do!

Half way through 4th quarter watching now and have just seen TWO MORE fifties not paid to Sydney!!!! proper ones. First Chapman playing on after free to Swans when he definitely knew who the free was to and second Everitt takes make at HF in front and Geelong player trailing behind runs at least five metres over the mark when he DEFINITELY knew exactly where the mark was. Man oh man. I seriously think (and I've said this before) that umpires are just not very intelligent. They can't think fast enough to understand what has just happened. And the Giesch is the same. Just very low IQ people.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Quote Originally Posted by SwansFan1972 View Post
    Just watched Jetstar's goal again - joy - absolute joy! And skill and class and all that too! He is a young man really enjoying his footy at the moment and so great to see.
    The goal was great but I enjoyed the tackle on Selwood just as much. Like clean bowling Tendulkar. Jet will be dining out on that one for years.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Jude bolton, he just keeps surprising me. Very important player for us especially with parker out. His effort is second to none.