Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Match Day Thread - Swans vs Lions

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    I'm not in any way discontented with the Swans being on top of the ladder, not a situation anyone would have forecast.
    Amazing effort by all the coaching and playing staff, well done.
    "He was proud of us when we won and he was still proud of us when we lost' Tami Roos about Paul Sept 06.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Just a win fankly, so much so that I wonder if the result might have been much different if Merrit had played on Reid all night. In the last quarter it was the familiar hopeless nothing up forward. Took the edge of it for me.
    Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret View Post
    Wow.
    Double Wow.......

On another note.. I now remember why McVeigh is a co captain..

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret View Post
    Wow.
    DK...I found it a frustrating game to watch. We got them well and truly in the middle quarters but it was more some of the sloppy play. I wouldn't call it lairising but some really poor decision making when under no pressure. I also thought our kicking to space a number of times was ordinary and often not to our advantage when a player had made huge space for the outside play.

Fantastic game on TV. Absolutely killed them, and Malceski showing a bit of mongrel was a real suprise. I think Horse has given him the hard word. Get in or get out.

Top 4 is ours. I think Pies are running out of steam and will be knackered by finals time after contesting 2 GF's in a row. Essendon has an ordinary back line and suspect under pressure. I dont think they play a finals brand of football. Westcoast and Adelaide I rate. But I'd rather meet a non-vic side on the MCG at the end of september than a melbourne team. Hawthorn are a worry. Geelong will be making up the numbers.

Weve got a bloody good chance this year, and comes down to a bit of luck and injuries. Only improvement I could see is Parker back in, and maybe later in the year spranger replacing LRT if spranger starts carving it up. Its a long shot though, because he missed so much footy.

A win against the coast in perth would set us up bueatifully. A loss should not derail us either.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    DK...I found it a frustrating game to watch. We got them well and truly in the middle quarters but it was more some of the sloppy play. I wouldn't call it lairising but some really poor decision making when under no pressure. I also thought our kicking to space a number of times was ordinary and often not to our advantage when a player had made huge space for the outside play.
    I'm not overly impressed. If you told me they would be missing McGrath, black and maguire I would have thought we would be winning by what we won by. It was about a par performance in truth. Steady, but nothing special.

Having said that it was nice of them to leave Merritt forward so long.

Lrt is really a competitor but that's about it I am afraid. He was getting their third tall on the night and probably their fifth choice tall defender and still never looked likely.

Next week will test us I think.

Veteran Site Admin
    Agree it was just a "par" performance but we can't expect champagne every week. The Lions put work into our two primary outside drivers of recent weeks. Jack copped a Raines tag, while Stiller effectively cut down Jetta's space. I thought Jack worked hard to break free but didn't find the time and space he often does, while Jets probably sat back and allowed himself to be squeezed out of the game. But had we needed him to, he could well have been able to lift his intensity.

It was great to see Goodes start to recapture some good form, and loved his directing of Reid in the forward line. Best game yet from Reid - hands were sticky most of the time, and Davis certainly appears to be earning his wage.

After a dopey start, our defence was as miserly as it has been all year. Richards showed Merrett what it is like to play on a real defender, while Reg's job on Brown was great too, given what a quality player Brown can be.

Loved McVeigh's game. To be a premiership contender we need to keep improving throughout the season, and he has really taken up the challenge over the last month or so.

agree......re macca

with Goodes and Parker not playing much the last 4 to 6 weeks - Macca and Jack have really stepped up and made sure we kept our momentum !
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Veterans List
    Changes for next week on the spacious Subiaco where runners are needed?

Team selection will be critical if we are to beat WCE, got to get runners and high endurance players.

Parker ready, Mattner, TDL? Surely LRT will finally get dropped to give us another runner.

Yeah a scrappy game but the best thing is that just about everyone is in form. Reid might have got a ride from an inexperienced defender but he's been improving every week. Goodes is back in town, McVeigh put in another blinder, Jack was good after Q1, Shaw, Ted, Grundy did what they usually do, Malceski was effective early, Mumford had a better game, etc.

Everitt showed how fast you can go from hero to zero. He had a shocker but the coaches might want to use his height and long-kicking on Subi, where he did his last-minute heroic act last year.

Mattner is pretty certain to come back in - Armstrong might be the unlucky one, though his pace would be handy. Don't know how we fit in Parker unless we drop a tall, ie, Everitt.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Veteran Site Admin
    I thought Parker looked well short of a gallop in the reserves today. He did some good stuff at times but spent large portions of the game stationed in the forward line, rather than the midfield. Will be very surprised if they bring him back into the senior team as soon as next week, especially as the senior team is going pretty well.

It was a bit scrappy at times, and nowhere near our best, but a job pretty well done in the end and a good trip up the highway today for me. We never got out of 2nd gear really, but did some good stuff, especially in the 2nd term and early in the 3rd. The last quarter was a snorefest, however it was an easy one which is not unwelcome considering the big assignment we have next week.

Good to see Sammy finally kick a decent bag - kicking off the boot looked pretty good tonight. Lets hope he can take some real confidence out of that and kick on.

Nice to be top of the ladder, but the hard work really starts here. A tough run home, with only 3 of the last 8 at home and matches to come against 6 teams likely or definitely going to make the top 8. Nothing easy about the run in, but if we finish top 4 after that run, we will know we are just as good a shot (in a very open season) as anyone left to win the flag. Come on Bloods - three months of hard work could just get us anywhere from here! Cheer Cheer!

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast