Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have we underestimated Jarrad McVeigh?

Have we underestimated Jarrad McVeigh?

In a Herald Sun article titled ?Scott Pendlebury's ultimate AFL player? 2 Swans make the list of Pendlebury?s Ultimate 19 top player characteristics. It?s not surprising that Goodes is one of the chosen, but here is what was said about the other Swan captain:

Jarrad McVeigh (Sydney)

A fantastic one-touch player all over the ground by hand and foot. Whether hitting up the leading forward or kicking into the corridor he seems to be able to do it with ease and precision. Might not get a lot of external recognition but is highly rated among rival players.

Is he actually rated higher by opposition players than by Swan supporters? If some RWOer made a post like this they?d be banned for insanity.
    If you look at McVeigh?s record over the long term, he has been one of our most consistent players. He was great during his B & F year, and has shown signs that he may be returning to career best form.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    In a Herald Sun article titled ?Scott Pendlebury's ultimate AFL player? 2 Swans make the list of Pendlebury?s Ultimate 19 top player characteristics. It?s not surprising that Goodes is one of the chosen, but here is what was said about the other Swan captain:

Jarrad McVeigh (Sydney)

A fantastic one-touch player all over the ground by hand and foot. Whether hitting up the leading forward or kicking into the corridor he seems to be able to do it with ease and precision. Might not get a lot of external recognition but is highly rated among rival players.

Is he actually rated higher by opposition players than by Swan supporters? If some RWOer made a post like this they?d be banned for insanity.
    If you look at McVeigh?s record over the long term, he has been one of our most consistent players. He was great during his B & F year, and has shown signs that he may be returning to career best form.
    Funny you mention that. For a long time Macca has been our tagged midfielder and I've heard lots of opposition supporters pre-2011/12 tell me he's our most dangerous mid. He probably has been unfairly assessed by Swans supporters; many of us never rated his leadership either but clearly everyone at the club does. A bit of an unusual circumstance certainly.

On the Rookie List
    for those not wanting to sign up to the herald sun
    http://www.news.com.au/sport/scott-p...-1226437157503

I think his ball use is exquisite and he sometimes does things that astound me. The sidestep is probably one of the best in the business. I always rated him but he did go through a bad patch understandably. I am sure everyone here can identify with him in that trauma is not good for your career. Not good for just living actually and to come through that the way he has I find astounding and a comment on the strength and resilience of the man.

Opti-pessi-misti
    When people have been rating their top 22 Swans players in order, most posters did not include him in their top 10, I took particular note, for over the past month especially, I have thought that his impact on the game has been much more noticeable and I would agree that we are seeing him play at the level that we have been longing to see!! May he power on to be counted as one of our stars or at least one of our most valued players!

I take him for granted. Mind you I don't have to play on him.

There you go. The secret is out. I may take him for granted, but that doesn't mean his opponents (at the highest level) do. Whodathort it. me bad.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Blog Entries
    I've thought he was pretty ordinary for most of the year, but since his wife gave birth he seems to have found a second wind!!

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    I've thought he was pretty ordinary for most of the year, but since his wife gave birth he seems to have found a second wind!!
    Second wind.....baby burping...........I get it!!!!!!

He touches the ball once per quarter is that what he meant?
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Veterans List
    McVeigh's last month has been outstanding. Can't think of anyone within the Swans that I want kicking the ball inside 50 more than Jarrad (unless it's Lewis taking a ping...).

I think McVeigh is having a very good year. Might have started a bit slower, but has certainly been very good for most of the season. I wouldn't be surprised to see him poll well in the B&F.

He is our one player who plays in the forward half that regularly seems able to kick it to advantage. I think he he lacks the hardness of our other midfielders but a team is made of disparate elements - I like him a lot because when he gets it he usually uses it well. I just want to see him play some great games when the team as a whole is under pressure.

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    Was at the game last night and was our stand out player (along with Bird) for best user of the ball.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast