Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Hawthorn Game needs to move to Homebush

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't think it's that bad an idea during the renovations, but they would have needed to address it prior to the season and at that point they weren't to know where the 2 teams would be sitting on the ladder.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

I would like the swans to schedule, freo, port. North & Melbourne at homebush. Then the afl could truly judge the popularity and worth of sending us out there. Failed experiment, our home is the scg, play home games there

don't get me wrong, I love the SCG. But when you don't have tickets for friends basically a month out from the game (and normally they don't sell out until maybe a week or two ahead) then that kinda ruins the experience for me and probably a few other fans and members out there too! I guess that's what this whole redevelopment is supposed to attend to, but this short-term pain isn't great!

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I could be completely wrong, but in 2007 when they were doing works at the SCG was there a story in the media about the Swans wanting to move an extra couple of games out to Homebush and the SCG Trust holding them to their contract of playing X number of games at the SCG?

The work needs to get done at some point, and it's obviously scheduled a fair bit in advance- but sheesh there's been a bit of Murphy's law in place for the Swans as far as timing for these works. 2007- coming off 2 straight GF appearances, building works so crowd numbers impacted. 2012- top of the ladder, building works so crowd numbers impacted. I imagine it'd be frustrating the bean counters just a bit.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyburt View Post
    I would like the swans to schedule, freo, port. North & Melbourne at homebush. Then the afl could truly judge the popularity and worth of sending us out there. Failed experiment, our home is the scg, play home games there
    We drew 13,000 to the SCG earlier in the year when we played the Bulldogs. Some teams draw more than others and things like ladder position and the stage of the season make a difference. Considering the current SCG capacity and the interest that there will be in the game it was a perfectly reasonably suggestion to consider transferring it. We'd get close to double the crowd in my opinion, plus a late season game on the same ground we'll play home finals on.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    We drew 13,000 to the SCG earlier in the year when we played the Bulldogs. Some teams draw more than others
    Exactly my point, despite the 'blockbusters' being scheduled out there. The crowds do not justify the move. Great deal for the afl come finals, crap deal for the swans. Try playing the dogs at homebush in the rain and see how many rock up?

It was designed as a crowd development /expansion tool, It failed. There is a team out there now, we need to drop the stadium as soon as we can

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I don't know why the Hawks game was allocated to the SCG in the first place. The ground is too small for the crowd it would pull anyway. At the moment it is tiny for a Swans/Hawks game. The atmosphere is crap at the moment at the SCG and a lot of people are staying away because of the rubble. The other thing is the very limited GA at the SCG this season gets rid of a whole lot of the non-wealthy. When the tickets suddenly go from $28 for GA to $40 for Gold it suddenly gets a bit expensive for a weekly outing for many people. So I think it is the AFL & Tickatek who are to blame for any games not full this season.
    Wolfie you have said before that you sit in the red zone, well you must be tucked away in a corner somewhere cause I've found the atmosphere far better in the Trumper then most games ever where in the Noble. The atmosphere sitting in the Trumper concourse particularly in The Saints, Cats, Crows games has been incredible.

You all need to remember that the AFL draw was released well before the redevelopment was announced - January if my memory serves me well, far too late to make changes to scheduling. Next year you might see games like the Hawks moved to ANZ as the powers that be know that a quarter of the available SCG seating is missing.

Final release tickets today, (restricted category b) so if anyone wants them, get them now

NO WAY JOSE!!
    The game belongs at the SCG - you really don't want to be giving the poos and wees too much room to run around in!

Sydney bandwagoners are the problem here peeps - too many people, not enough seats. The other problem is members who don't turn up to the games.
    We have a guy who sits in front of us who attends the first game of the year, then we don't see him again.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Happy and I know it
    I believe the AFL schedules the games, not the Swans.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Dreaming.
    Superman still wears Brett Kirk Pyjamas

Veterans List
    Idea has merit, especially given we're likely to play at least one final out there. Won't happen but.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast