Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Australia's Most Popular Football Club

Up There For Sydney! Adelaide Swan's Avatar

Australia's Most Popular Football Club

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226439739561

MOVE over Collingwood, the Swans are the most popular football club in Australia.

Often ignored or underrated in Melbourne's AFL maelstrom, the AFL regards the Swans as one of the pivotal clubs in the national competition.

AFL acting chief executive Gill McLachlan pointed to Roy Morgan research which highlighted the Swans as the only club with more than one million supporters.

While I love reports like this cos they wind Collingwood supporters up, you'd have to be realistic and note that a lot of those million supporters are "passive". They don't know much about the game but they're from Sydney so they barrack for us.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    While I love reports like this cos they wind Collingwood supporters up, you'd have to be realistic and note that a lot of those million supporters are "passive". They don't know much about the game but they're from Sydney so they barrack for us.
    This. Fun to read though!

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Then GWS should not be a problem.

Just goes to show you can't believe everything you read in the paper.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

It is actually a very legimiate survey, but aimed brand support for the swans. This is what drives the sponsorship value of the swans jumper, which is the most valuable in the land.

I remember when Citibank first joined us, they paid more for the jumper rights than Qantas paid for the wallabies.

And think about why. The swans jumper almost daily appears in both Sydney newspapers (collingwood hardly ever), and very frequently in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth newspapers as well.
    No club comes close to that in any code.

Goes up to 11
    Just one thing - we in Sydney don't 'barrack' for a team - we 'go' for a team. And I think the mentioned research, which has been done before, is pretty flawed. If this is what the AFL is relying on for their decision re GWS, good luck in converting these people to AFL..... Just my opinion :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Just one thing - we in Sydney don't 'barrack' for a team - we 'go' for a team. And I think the mentioned research, which has been done before, is pretty flawed. If this is what the AFL is relying on for their decision re GWS, good luck in converting these people to AFL..... Just my opinion :-)
    I always laugh when I hear Americans root for their teams. Now that's true support.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I always laugh when I hear Americans root for their teams. Now that's true support.
    That's why the women's beach volleyball team is my fav. Followed by teh women's olympic hockey, I knew one of teh womens water polo team a few years back, no dreams there, for a bloke. A man still has dreams though you know
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Does that make us the most popular football club in THE WORLD!? Woo hoo!!!
    Superman still wears Brett Kirk Pyjamas

Senior Player
    Full data here

[Roy Morgan Research] Roy Morgan Press Releases

Interesting that of a million fans, 18% said they had gone to a game in the previous 12 months.

On the Rookie List
    Don't discount the fact that for the Melbourne based club supporters, we are most likely to be their preferred interstate team. I had a lovely Geelong supporter (not quite an oxymoron) at the SCG game who calmed me down during the 'scare' in the last quarter by telling me if the Cats can't do it, the Swans have to.

p.s Win the flag I mean
    I'm not arrogant, I'm right

Quote Originally Posted by supersall View Post
    Don't discount the fact that for the Melbourne based club supporters, we are most likely to be their preferred interstate team. I had a lovely Geelong supporter (not quite an oxymoron) at the SCG game who calmed me down during the 'scare' in the last quarter by telling me if the Cats can't do it, the Swans have to.

p.s Win the flag I mean
    I was speaking to a 35 year old Grandmother who supports the Pies and they hate us. I think that's what she said. With her dentures sold on eBay she was a little hard to understand.

The Blues are on my naughty list too. Voting to get rid of a club tends tends to focus the angst just a tad.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast