Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some Smooch and AJ love

Some Smooch and AJ love

A good write-up on AFL.com.au regarding our unsung heroes in the backline - Nick Smith and Alex Johnson.

You will find the link here

Praise for Smith & Johnson

But what is recognised too little is the contribution of the unsung Nick Smith and Alex Johnson to the Swans' defensive rigour.

Smith this season has kept All Australian forward pocket Stephen Milne to one goal, and he's kept Carlton's Eddie Betts and Geelong's Steve Johnson goalless.

The 22-year-old is second among the Swans for points generated from interceptions, behind only Richards. Johnson is equal third on that list with Kieren Jack.
    http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...9/default.aspx
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

They're both wonderful.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Yeah super important structurally. I think Nick Smith had a shocker v Hawthorn with a few out of bounds on the foul kicks but overall he's a super player and really consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by DamY View Post
    I think Nick Smith had a shocker v Hawthorn ....
    Tough marker. He was mainly on Bruest who barely got a touch....
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Some Smooch and AJ love

I am prone to hyperbole, when I say shocker I mean he did one of two things wrong, which shows what high esteem I hold him in

Smithy is also able to take that pressure mark & come to think of it so is AJ. I love the way Smithy dives head first at the ball as though he is from the 'Jude School of Kamikaze'. AJ's long kicking is super but with Smithy I prefer him on the short to a leading player as some of his long ones tend to be a bit wayward. AJ on the other hand is not as good on the short kick but great at hitting a player who is on the run like Jetts, Kizza or Hannas. They are both wonderful young talents who will be around for a long time.

Well we all knew how good the kids are even if outside the redandwhites/bloods they haven't got a clue.

Smooch is a gem. Right from the time they gave him a go in seniors. Used to smile all the time in ressies. Not so now.

AJ, learning and refining his technique all the time. Getting silently better and better as the year wore on.

Proud of them both.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

I think they are both capable of different roles:
    When Smithy has had to go into the midfield to cover for an injury, he has looked very comfortable and pretty slick.
    AJ has really good aerobic capacity and could play like ROK, busting his opponent by running them dead.

That said, they do a great job at the back.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp

Some Smooch and AJ love

Great work by both tonight, especially Smiff after an early indescretion. Always felt, relatively, comfortable when the was heading in their direction. Even got the group I watched the game with calling him Smooch.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Absolutely great game by the two of them again. Hard to ever fault Smith.
    Now becoming our most consistent players.

They were both fantastic tonight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast