Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: Grand Final - CARN THE BLOODS!

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Rewatching the game I was struck by how much our players did off the ball, the one-percenters that don't go into the stats but make a real difference for the team. Goodes was especially notable,as were (as IF pointed out above) Marty and Sam: knocking the ball on, blocking, claiming opposition attention, directing play. I chuckle at Goodesy pointing to the goal for Mitch Morton's benefit, but it seems as if he's saying,"Never mind finding someone else, now's the time for a goal!" And I don't think we had a bottom five or six - Blighty's favourite measuring stick: there was a high level of consistent effort by everyone. A great game to watch, and even recognized by other fans as a great GF.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Grand Final - CARN THE BLOODS!

So many moments and performances that will make this game so memorable.

- Melchos amazing 1st qtr goal
    - Hanners incredible bravery in that marking contest
    - Jetta v Rioli
    - Goodes playing with a torn PCL
    - Teddy playing with a dodgy ankle and taking one of the most important marks of the game in the last qtr
    - Pykes amazing performance/story
    - Mitch Morton's 2 snapped goals and beating 2 Hawks defenders to set up Kizzas equalising goal.
    - Marty's tackle
    - Melchos incredible, joyous snap that sealed our 2nd Premiership in 8 seasons.

Add the fact that the Grand Final is talked about as one of the best ever and I swell with pride at what we achieved.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Hanners incredible bravery in that marking contest
    What was especially great about that mark is that it was just the beginning of his great game. He dropped back in the hole numerous times during the rest of the match after that spectacular clash in the 1st qtr with no fear for his own safety. It didn't matter that he did not get crunched again - the fact that he was prepared to go regardless of injury (which the clash in opening quarter would have highlighted) said a lot about his game. I had not seen that from Hanners before.

Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    I had not seen that from Hanners before.
    Seriously? Seen it a stack of times and would rate it as a stronger part of his game. Certainly better than his kicking.

Hannebery v Hurley in 2011 surely still resides somewhere in your memory...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Veterans List
    My replay highlights were the the number of smothers we did. We were prepared to put our bodies low and in front of the kicker. Anyone have smother stats?

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Seriously? Seen it a stack of times and would rate it as a stronger part of his game. Certainly better than his kicking.

Hannebery v Hurley in 2011 surely still resides somewhere in your memory...
    Repeat instances of intentionally dropping back was the point that I was making. There have been a few times this year (and last) where I have seen Hannebery not drop back as hard (and he is not a big bloke, so it is understandable to a large degree). Either way, I was full of praise for his effort and bravery in the GF.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    Repeat instances of intentionally dropping back was the point that I was making. There have been a few times this year (and last) where I have seen Hannebery not drop back as hard (and he is not a big bloke, so it is understandable to a large degree). Either way, I was full of praise for his effort and bravery in the GF.
    I'm with Triple B on this one. Hanners has consistently shown remarkably courage and toughness for one so young. He's taken a number of highly memorable marks going back with the flight, or where he knew he was going to get crunched from behind. And while there may be some examples, I can't recall any times where he didn't go as hard as he might in a contest he had a decent chance of influencing.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I'm with Triple B on this one. Hanners has consistently shown remarkably courage and toughness for one so young. He's taken a number of highly memorable marks going back with the flight, or where he knew he was going to get crunched from behind. And while there may be some examples, I can't recall any times where he didn't go as hard as he might in a contest he had a decent chance of influencing.
    That is fine, Liz - it looks like you and Triple B had consistently noticed a part of Dan's play differently than I had until the GF. He has been a very good player for the Swans and has been very hard and tough at the ball since the beginning. I just had not made the mental note of his dropping back in marking contests throughout games (one-off incidents aside). As I said, I was full of praise for his game (my comments were not meant to be a slight on his previous performances).

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617