Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mitch Morton Understands

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Mitch Morton is our Stuart Dew...

Mitch Morton Understands

Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    Interestingly, there was an interview with Kennedy this morning and the interviewer related Mitch's story about mid season being told the players did not trust him. Kennedy looked nonplussed for a few seconds and then replied 'well he had my trust'.

It's a great story, but I suspect Mitch is milking it a bit. Either way, he was brilliant yesterday and I love his work.
    Longmire said it was the boys in the leadership group, who came to him and said his good but don't trust him yet and they told Mitch what he needed to change about himself.

If the leadership group came to Horse, that would have included Doggy, head honcho on field for the ressies.

And that's why we have leadership groups. Insight. Worked out very well for Mitch, and even better for us.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Sydney's "No Dickheads" policy strikes again?
    I might have a slight drinking problem. My husband asked me to toast some bread for him...so I raised my wine glass and said "Here's to bread!"

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Allymay View Post
    I reckon it is less about "no dickheads" and more about a practice of providing honest (even blunt) but constructive feedback. That seems to be one of the fundamental planks of the "Bloods culture" that the media is suddenly so interested in.

Goes up to 11
    One of my favourite bits of the GF is Morton's goal where he's wheeling around and looking to give it off, but Goodsey is pointing to the goals, so he slots it. Shows the team mentality has gotten through to him, and it was also great leadership from Goodsey. Sweet stuff....

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    One of my favourite bits of the GF is Morton's goal where he's wheeling around and looking to give it off, but Goodsey is pointing to the goals, so he slots it. Shows the team mentality has gotten through to him, and it was also great leadership from Goodsey. Sweet stuff....
    Both of Mitch's goals were like that. Thankfully he's learned to take notice of his captain!

Senior Player
    Blog Entries

Re: Mitch Morton Understands

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I reckon it is less about "no dickheads" and more about a practice of providing honest (even blunt) but constructive feedback. That seems to be one of the fundamental planks of the "Bloods culture" that the media is suddenly so interested in.
    I agree, Liz. I was looking at a few articles a while back about Leading Teams, Ray McLean's company that has worked with many clubs including the Swans and Cats to improve their culture, and this seems to be one of the key tenets.

It's not for all clubs though, Aker apparently refused to have anything to do with it when it was used at the Bulldogs after Scott West gave him feedback that his dyed hair made him too much of an 'individual'. That's not really the essence of the system though, when it works, it's more aimed at addressing the 'core' behaviours that influence on-field performance. I think when the whole playing group buys into the system as the Swans have, it is a very powerful tool, and we saw the results!

Quote Originally Posted by Allymay View Post
    Morton was never a dickhead.
    LRT. Lord Roberts-Thompson. He may look like the Munster, but looks can be deceiving.

2012 Bloods Premiers.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Xie Shan View Post
    I agree, Liz. I was looking at a few articles a while back about Leading Teams, Ray McLean's company that has worked with many clubs including the Swans and Cats to improve their culture, and this seems to be one of the key tenets.

It's not for all clubs though, Aker apparently refused to have anything to do with it when it was used at the Bulldogs after Scott West gave him feedback that his dyed hair made him too much of an 'individual'. That's not really the essence of the system though, when it works, it's more aimed at addressing the 'core' behaviours that influence on-field performance. I think when the whole playing group buys into the system as the Swans have, it is a very powerful tool, and we saw the results!
    I don't take much of what Aker says at face value, but if that anecdote is based on any kind of fact, it demonstrates poor implementation of the concept, not a flaw in the concept itself. Mind you, the skill required to give constructive feedback that is positively received is very under-rated. Most people seem to think that anyone can do it but it is actually very challenging and easy to get wrong. I know that I've learned many hard lessons along the way in my professional career where I've got it wrong, for one reason or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Xie Shan View Post

I think it has a lot to do with where our players come from.

New draftees, rookies and fringe players who are given a choice. And it's easy when you have success.

Recruit and pay the big bucks for the best players who have success doing what they do - might be more difficult to let them rack up 50 possessions and 5 goals in the ressies every week cause they don't buy into the Bloods ethos.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    I think the regular ressies watchers on this board might appreciate this video the most. Full credit to Mitch for putting in the effort required to break into the team, we all knew he had the talent, and boy did he grab his chance!

Sydney Swans | 2012 Grand Final | Morton post match - YouTube

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast