Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Where to from here, looking ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Knickers View Post
    Mitchell is injured. They are being patient.
    Gordon won't be on the list. Cunningham is ok but still work to be done.
    Jed is showing his class. Hope he stays. Is going to be a gun and we will shortly lose ROK, Jude, etc
    Mitchell and Jeb came in with the most junior credentials, but both have been hampered by injuries. After 2 years, Jed is just starting to show his stuff. With these young players, it's always hard to say how things will turn out until they get a run in the seniors. There have been too many sad stories of careers nipped in the bud due to injuries. Nonetheless, there is good reason to be hopeful that both will be gun players.

Cunningham has shown a lot of class. Has speed, kicking skills and courage. I think he will be a star.

Hard to say what will be with Nipper. I think he offers a lot. We know he's a great endurance athlete and is quick as well. Marks, kicks and tackles well. His decision making needs improvement, but I've been impressed with his skill set. Unfortunate that he didn't get a senior game this year. I think he was an emergency a few times, so the selectors must have thought he wasn't far off.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Would imagine the Tippet noise is an Aker style rumour to get the most out of GC or the Lions. Add another party (premiers no less) into the mix and they need to be a lot more competitive to land him.

I really hope we were in the mix for Goddard though, what a shame he's gone to the Bombers. Would have been a class addition and had no impact on our trade stocks.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    I see St Kildas Cripps is possibly looking to move.

Would be handy at the Bloods.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Mitchell and Jeb came in with the most junior credentials, but both have been hampered by injuries. After 2 years, Jed is just starting to show his stuff. With these young players, it's always hard to say how things will turn out until they get a run in the seniors. There have been too many sad stories of careers nipped in the bud due to injuries. Nonetheless, there is good reason to be hopeful that both will be gun players.

Cunningham has shown a lot of class. Has speed, kicking skills and courage. I think he will be a star.

Hard to say what will be with Nipper. I think he offers a lot. We know he's a great endurance athlete and is quick as well. Marks, kicks and tackles well. His decision making needs improvement, but I've been impressed with his skill set. Unfortunate that he didn't get a senior game this year. I think he was an emergency a few times, so the selectors must have thought he wasn't far off.
    Lamb has the potential to be a very good player if his body holds up. If Mitchell's body holds up, there is no good reason to be hopeful.... for from everything i've read, and the little bit I've seen of him, he will simply be a gun player.

On the Rookie List
    Tippett was born in Sydney, maybe he feels some homeland allegiance. Wow, a 50 goal key forward would go a LONG WAY to getting us back-to-back.
    I like Reid better as a CHF, he took some great marks on the HFF and would take a lot of pressure off him.

Veterans List
    The mail on the radio today is that we are right into the Tippett move. Martin Blake said the figure quoted is $900,000 a year. That is a ridiculous amount for him. He is not that good and would then be about the highest paid player in the comp.

Longmire today. Wouldn't comment on Tippett, which tends to suggest we've joined the hunt.

Longmire confident Swans can keep stars

He says Walsh is having surgery. But he says Walsh is the "only player" requiring off-season surgery. Maybe an overight, but I thought Bolton also needed operation on his knee/s.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    He says Walsh is having surgery. But he says Walsh is the "only player" requiring off-season surgery. Maybe an overight, but I thought Bolton also needed operation on his knee/s.
    Jude said in an interview at Lakeside Oval the day after the GF that suggestions he needed surgery were false rumours (he said "I don't know where that came from").

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    We need 3 senior spots for the draft (apparently we're looking at choices #22, #42 and #61).

Will Jude retire? Wouldn't bet on it.

None of our rookies require promotion other than Dyl, who won't be, so we don't need to find any extra spots.

On the other hand Kinnear will undoubtedly bring us someone for recycling.

So who'se to go?

Nathan Gordon, Trent Dennis-Lane and Andrejs Everitt are all unlikely to get a senior birth but are apparently still under contract, so would need to be traded or paid out. Both options seem unlikely.

I expect Walsh, Armstrong and Lamb to improve so they'll go nowhere.

Which leaves Mark Seaby, Jarred Moore, Jesse White, Matt Spangher and Brett Meredith out of contract. And unlikely to attract any interest during the trade period.

Seaby and Moore are probably departures:

Mark Seaby: While only the same age as Pike, the latter is now miles ahead of him. We were unable to offload him last silly season, and he was frequently injured this year so we may simply delist him.

Jarred Moore is a free agent, but not expected to attract any interest. His lack of speed seems to have marked his card "never to be selected." Perhaps he will move into coaching, certainly he isn't too old to be a playing coach, a role he seemed to be auditioning for with the Swans reserves this year.

After that things get tricky:

Matt Spangher: Another injury riddled year, and he's out of contract. If he were a short, slow moving midfielder there would be no doubt but with his height he may get another year anyway.

Jesse White: It looked as if the Swans have given up on him, the only hope he has is if the delist Seaby. In which case he may be retained as an insurance policy. While the loonies in the Tippett thread envision a swap for White, in the real world he'll be hard to trade, but if we delist he might well find a new home.

Brett Meredith: Probably out of contract and he's a frustrating player. Has great skills and seems to have plenty of time, yet doesn't get that involved. Whether his form off half back in the 2's saves him, I'm unsure. Unlikely to find a new home in trade week.

Suggestions???
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Suggestions???
    Preferably not of the "Tippett for Jessie and a handfull of magic beans" variety
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    Jude said in an interview at Lakeside Oval the day after the GF that suggestions he needed surgery were false rumours (he said "I don't know where that came from").
    I was under the impression that his wife said something along those lines when asked either pre or post GF.

I also heard an interview with his journo uncle who strongly thought he would now give it away on a high because his knees were 'shot'...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Re: the list, I'd be surprised if Campbell Heath doesn't get promoted onto the senior list...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast