Page 449 of 463 FirstFirst ... 349399439445446447448449450451452453459 ... LastLast
Results 5,377 to 5,388 of 5548

Thread: Tippett!!

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Injuries and age have hit really hard this year when it all started with Tippett.
    Given injuries to our rucks and tall forwards, I pointlessly wonder what would have happened if Tippett had rehabbed properly, got his body as right as it could be and filled gaps as a back up to Sinclair in the ruck and/or a foil to ease the pressure on Buddy up forward?

Probably stifled the progress of McCartin (although playing Bud, Tom McC & Tip should not differ from Bud, Reid & Tip).

Read in the paper today that the Swans will still have to include some of Tippett's contract in the salary cap for 2019. What the............?

Veterans List
    Read in the paper today that the Swans will still have to include some of Tippett's contract in the salary cap for 2019. What the............?
    WTF? Do Hawthorn have to do the same with Rioli?????

So will he still be on the list? Can he make a long awaited comeback?
    what a way to resurrect the thread!

Surely we should get better value for money. Anyone got any job suggestions for Tippo? Boot cleaner, orange chopper, drinks runner......How about club liaison with RWO?....

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    WTF? Do Hawthorn have to do the same with Rioli?????
    Depends on what was negotiated between players and their clubs. Rioli sounds like he unilaterally decided to retire, in which case he’s probably not entitled to any further payments. On the other hand, I suspect Tippett got a little nudge from the Swans, which probably entailed a negotiated payout.

Tippett!!

There was an article about Tippett back in February which I suspect was correct on this. It is a salary cap issue: while Tippett’s negotiated retirement package is considerably less than he would have received had he stayed till the end of his contract, it could not all be paid out this year or we would have been over the cap.

The second & last instalment will be paid in 2019, and so yes unfortunately Tippett will still be on our list next year.

The same would only apply to Rioli if his retirement payout would have taken the Hawks over the cap. Nothing has ever been said to suggest that is the case.

“Sydney could have limited Tippett’s retirement damage to this year alone but his financial settlement is understood to be way beyond their 2018 total player payments limit, meaning his exit figure will probably have to be extended into the club’s 2019 salary cap, which could lead to him becoming automatically retained on Sydney’s list.”

Nocookies | The Australian

Can we trade him to The Saints?

Chuck him in as a sweetener (with Hanners) for Pick 4.

Goes up to 11
    If we have to allocate $$$s to Tippett next year, it's official - worst deal this club has ever made.

This year showed how much we missed tippet. The deal was fine. He got us to two grand finals, and we very nearly won one.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Depends on what was negotiated between players and their clubs. Rioli sounds like he unilaterally decided to retire, in which case he’s probably not entitled to any further payments. On the other hand, I suspect Tippett got a little nudge from the Swans, which probably entailed a negotiated payout.
    Yep, and I believe it's really a situation of the club's own making (not the injury/retirement, just the finances). From what I can gather Kurt was tempted over with that big 4 years, circa $1 million p.a. contract, within which we included performance incentives. Kurt met those incentives, which triggered a 2 year extension at the end of 2016 (so would have then finished this season). That didn't seem to work for us any longer $ wise, presumably in large part thanks to having Buddy come over, and we know Kurt agreed to switch from 2 years at a large amount p.a. to 4 years at a presumably reduced amount p.a.

If the circa $1 million p.a. original figure is pretty much true (I assume it is, give or take about 10%), then Kurt probably left a fair bit of money per year on the table to switch over to 4 years- I doubt he would have been kind enough to go from 2y/$2m to 4y/$2m- I imagine it would be somewhere around 4y/$2.5-3m.

When it came to discussing retirement and contract buy out those in the room would have been perfectly aware of the situation, and I think it's reasonable for Kurt to receive a hefty payout for those final few years.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Told youse 269 pages ago Tipoff was going to cost us!!!

His contract was front-ended.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.