Thread: Laurie Nash - Legend

Blog Entries

Laurie Nash - Legend

The Great Laurie Nash, who famously answered the question "who is the greatest sportsman he has seen" with, "I see him in the mirror every time I shave", has been inducted into the Sport Australia Hall of Fame last night.

Golden girl Pearson claims another honour

On the Rookie List
    I read in the book "Blood Stained Angels ", that Laurie Nash raced a horse and a greyhound. He only just lost to the greyhound and beat the horse. I think he ran 50m, the greyhound 75m, and the horse 100m. He was a more than handy batsmen too.

Here is a bit of Tasmanian trivia for you...My last name is Moir and my Dad had a cousin ,Laurie Moir. He was named after his Uncle Laurie Nash..2 degrees of separation here not 6. Laurie Moir was a very good footballer and made many Tasmanian state teams. His son Phillip Moir played for South Melbourne in 1981. Laurie and his son and my Dad and my brother played for City-South a red and white team and I followed the love of the red and the white into the VFL/AFL. Synchronicity. Laurie Nash is still talked of in hushed tones here in the North of the state(well they would be hushed but most of the people who remember him are now deaf so they shout) as the best ever in footy and cricket(even better than Boonie and Punter)
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine