Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Swans' Draft Selections / potential FA pick-ups

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    But I guess you left it out 'cos we will being using that in the Pre-Season Draft, no? :-)
    That's what I figured, we'll keep one slot open in case DirtyKurt is available, if he isn't then we'll either pick up a delisted player or go into the season one short and be able to promote a rookie whenever we want (without the need for a long term injury).
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Regular in the Side MightyBloods's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    We have 7 picks after we elevated Harry, http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...7/default.aspx
    I don't think we've ever had that many picks, we customarily take only 3 or 4. The only parallel was the '09 renovation where we had picks 6, 14, 38, 54 & 55, this time we have picks 23, 45, 47, 66, 67 & 96.
    Deep draft or no, finding the next Rohan, Jetta and Reid in that lot will be a huge challenge for Kinnear. Especially after the DirtyKurt debacle meant there was going to be no next McGlynn, Kennedy, Seaby and Mummy.
    We had to trade/delist players (ie Spangher, Dennis-Lane, Heath, Seaby) to give us salary cap space to hopefully get Tippett. Our recruiting people, who I respect in spades, gave the media spin about us trading to improve our national draft order....minimal and a few extra picks which I personally don't mind.

Veterans List
    It will be on interesting ND on Thursday because of so many unknowns at the top end and the distorting by GWS having 5 picks inside 14, picks that may not take the most logical player as it would if 14 teams were taking those picks.

Other than Whitfield at No.1, who else will GWS take? How far will Grundy slide if GWS don't take him? Who will take a chance on potential bad results in Simpson and Garlett? Who will punt on injury prone Menzel and Stringer? Will the Swans grab a spud with pick 23 but snag a gun with later picks?

Must watch TV on Thursday night.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    It will be on interesting ND on Thursday because of so many unknowns at the top end and the distorting by GWS having 5 picks inside 14, picks that may not take the most logical player as it would if 14 teams were taking those picks.

Other than Whitfield at No.1, who else will GWS take? How far will Grundy slide if GWS don't take him? Who will take a chance on potential bad results in Simpson and Garlett? Who will punt on injury prone Menzel and Stringer? Will the Swans grab a spud with pick 23 but snag a gun with later picks?

Must watch TV on Thursday night.
    While I share your enthusiasm for what is surely a most interesting draft, I think I'll tune a bit later to view the results and hear some analysis. During proceedings I have some grass to watch growing and there is some wet paint in the back bathroom that I recorded earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    While I share your enthusiasm for what is surely a most interesting draft, I think I'll tune a bit later to view the results and hear some analysis. During proceedings I have some grass to watch growing and there is some wet paint in the back bathroom that I recorded earlier.
    With reduced rainfall over the past week, the growth of my grass stagnated over the weekend. Therefore, I will be tuning in on Thursday night.

Senior Player
    Workmate of mine spotted Jake Stringer with Stuart Maxfield at Sydney airport. Interesting, though I doubt he'll fall to pick 23.

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R-1 View Post
    Workmate of mine spotted Jake Stringer with Stuart Maxfield at Sydney airport. Interesting, though I doubt he'll fall to pick 23.
    He's not dyslexic and it was Matt Spanger ?
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Veterans List
    Interesting article just gone up on the Swans website about drafting strategies fo the ND.

The recruiters have got down to a list of 24 names they would take with their first pick at 23. Whitfield, Toumpas, etc will be quickly crossed off that list but when our first pick comes there will be at least two or more names not crossed out from which to choose. Obviously be the best player that suits our needs, midfielder probably.

Assume we've got anther list that gets us through to our two picks in the 40's. This is where you hope that one of your original 24 is still available. It can happen, we thought Reid would be gone by pick 38 and I know a coach from another club who said they almost took him with a pick about 15-18 spots earlier but h slipped all the way to us.

Warm up the telly, let that grass grow and paint dry unwatched :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    I'm with you, I think I'll watch the GF again and follow the draft on the laptop!

Regular in the Side MightyBloods's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I just listened to the Beatson video. Interesting to hear his thoughts on this year's draft talent as he rates the small/medium midfielders and says that there is not much depth to key position talent. Beatson also mentions talking to each State Recruitment Manager with his Recruitment Team to formulate the top 50 list. Then puts the list in order after further consultation with Recruitment and gauging the coaches thoughts on where they believe the game is heading. Gee...I'd love to have that list as a TV guide sitting down watching the draft on live TV! Sounds like we may 'pinch' a key position player if a good one drops to 23 or a top midfielder that they rate very highly but somehow drops to 23...hhhmmm.....If we take a key-position then gambling that good midfielders will still be around come our picks in the 40's...

Also, interesting to hear that he said we may only use 4 picks in the ND....surprised he didnt say 5 knowing that our 5th pick is only 2 spots after our 4th pick. Hmmm

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...3/default.aspx

agree that Lonergan is the most obvious pick for the Swans

http://www.afl.com.au/Video/tabid/76...aspx#playvideo

last minute of video is very exciting and reminded me of Luke Parkers Draft highlights two years ago

23. Sydney Swans - Jesse Lonergan
    Height: 182cm
    Weight: 91kg
    DOB: 14/11/94
    Club: Launceston
    Draft range: 13-24
    The Swans clearly have most bases covered on the back of their premiership, but they love inside midfielders and Lonergan's one of the best out there. The Tasmanian is a lot like his uncle Sam, former Bomber, but has a more explosive streak that helps him not only win the ball in a contest, but then burst away from it. He's physically ready, too, with a man's body and senior experience for Launceston, where he debuted as a 15-year-old.
    In the mix: Gold Coast. The Suns have been linked to Lonergan and need a replacement for Josh Caddy. If he gets past them, North Melbourne and Geelong will have a think about him.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Goes up to 11
    I would be a bit surprised if we took an inside midfielder with our first pick - we seem to be well off for them at the moment and have Mitchell in the wings. I would prefer the best available tall or a more outside and pacy player. Whilst I'm not saying that Lonergan wouldn't be a good pick up, I think the writer based his guess for our selection based on our supposed love of inside midfielders without possibly thinking where our needs might lie. Not that the reigning premiers have any great needs...... Isn't it good to say that???!!!