Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: Swans' Draft Selections / potential FA pick-ups

Swans' Draft Selections / potential FA pick-ups

I agree an inside mid seems to be the last thing we need at the minute, but then again Jude and ROK can't have long left. That still leaves Parker, Jack ( inside outside ) Hanners, Joey and Mitchell. I think if there's a rebounding defender type with nice skills and a bit of pace we could use someone like that. Rhyce and Marty are getting a bit long in the tooth. A key defender would be nice but I'm assuming the good KP size players will be mostly gone by the time we have a pic.

Re: Swans' Draft Selections / potential FA pick-ups

Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    While I share your enthusiasm for what is surely a most interesting draft, I think I'll tune a bit later to view the results and hear some analysis. During proceedings I have some grass to watch growing and there is some wet paint in the back bathroom that I recorded earlier.
    If you Google watching paint dry and watching grass grow you'll find this...

..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Re: Swans' Draft Selections / potential FA pick-ups

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Not that the reigning premiers have any great needs...... Isn't it good to say that???!!!
    Yep it sure is... The down side to the whole thing though is that I'm starting to look like Jack Nicholson from the Batman movie and it's freaking people out.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Regular in the Side MightyBloods's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The kid can play but I think we have 'inside midfielders' covered with Parker and Mitchell. I prefer a top key position player (who can play both ends) and if gone by our pick 23...then the best midfielder with pace.
    Another rider for Lonergan is that he's from Tassie and I'm expecting a Tassie Team to enter the comp in the next 5 years....and if he's any good then he'll be a target from a team with plenty of draft concessions.

23. Sydney Swans - Jesse Lonergan
    Height: 182cm
    Weight: 91kg
    DOB: 14/11/94
    Club: Launceston
    Draft range: 13-24
    The Swans clearly have most bases covered on the back of their premiership, but they love inside midfielders and Lonergan's one of the best out there. The Tasmanian is a lot like his uncle Sam, former Bomber, but has a more explosive streak that helps him not only win the ball in a contest, but then burst away from it. He's physically ready, too, with a man's body and senior experience for Launceston, where he debuted as a 15-year-old.
    In the mix: Gold Coast. The Suns have been linked to Lonergan and need a replacement for Josh Caddy. If he gets past them, North Melbourne and Geelong will have a think about him.[/QUOTE]

Likely draftees for 2012:

Jesse Lonergan: An inside midfielder who has been training with the AIS squad. Plays for Launceston in the TSL. Was named in the top 30 for the 2011 Tassie medal which is awarded to the best and fairest in the league. In an outstanding year, he also won the Corporate Express rising star award, joining fellow past winners such as Grant Birchall, Mitch Robinson, and Ryan Harwood.
    Jesse recovered from an early season injury to take part in the NAB under 18s carnival. He played two games, averaging 16 disposals and five tackles per game to be among our best players in both games. He was also one of the standouts of the 2012 AFL combine, scoring elite results in goal kicking (equal first), agility (2nd), vertical leap (2nd), running leap (3rd), and repeat sprints (7th), and showing great burst speed with a 3.01 in the 20m sprint, which puts him just outside the top 10.

Player comparison: Josh Kennedy (Sydney)
    Draft range: 14-26
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyBloods View Post
    The kid can play but I think we have 'inside midfielders' covered with Parker and Mitchell.
    I'm not sure we have any position really covered. Of the players on our list who didn't play in the GF

- McGlynn is a small forward / half forward who can take his turn in the middle but isn't really true 'inside' midfielder
    - Rohan is a utility at this stage, yet to find his best position. However, it is unlikely he will turn into an inside mid any time soon.
    - Everitt is a utility who I am willing to wager will never turn into an inside mid.
    - Walsh is a key forward or defender
    - White is a key forward, second ruck or possibly a key backman, Notwithstanding that he played ruck rover in the reserves at times this year, I can't see him becoming a senior inside mid.
    - Harry is also yet to find his true position and he did play as an onballer at times in the reserves this year. But he looks more likely to find a short term senior niche as a HBFer or a Jetta style wingman-cum-half forward.
    - Brown and Lockyer spent substantial parts of the year injured, especially Lockyer who would recover from one injury only to find himself another. Hard to tell what they might become but neither shapes up as an obvious inside mid.

That just leaves Mitchell. While he clearly has inside mid potential, he too has been injured for so long over the past two seasons that he is far from a sure thing to become a regular senior player. On talent, he looks like a prospect but we'll have to wait and see what his body has to say about it.

In the meantime, we have Jude and ROK who might yet play on until they are 40 (and I don't doubt they'd both love to, if their bodies permit) but in reality are closer to the end than the start. Goodes, too, is still an occasional onballer and we don't know how long he has left.

Our current game style relies on having a fair number who can rotate through and win the hard ball around the contests. I don't think we really have any depth in that position for 2013, let alone for 2014 and beyond.

I agree we have needs in a variety of different positions for future seasons but I think inside midfielder is just as much of a requirement as any other position. So I hope the club just picks the best player(s) they think are available, especially at pick 23. If that is Lonergan, so be it. I suspect he'll be gone by the time it comes to our pick but you never know.

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    There is talk that we have an outside chance of drafting someone with inside potential. However, the reality is that we are clearly just outside any chance of this inside pick happening.

I'll leave it to "The Beat" to do the job he does so well. How anyone can predict who will be available at pick 23 or beyond is either getting paid to do it or has far too much time on their hands.

I still haven't recovered from Barlow being touted as the new Goodes.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

I like Tom Clurey.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    Our First pick is now 22 with Adelaide withdrawing their first 2 picks in this draft.
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

Swans' Draft Selections / potential FA pick-ups

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffers1984 View Post
    Our First pick is now 22 with Adelaide withdrawing their first 2 picks in this draft.
    What's this ?

Veteran Site Admin
    How bizarre. They are volunteering a penalty before even arguing their case and with no knowledge of the penalty, if any, that the Commission will impose IF they are found to have transgressed.

Veterans List
    Getting better all the time folks.

We now have picks 22, 44, 46 and after that with rookie upgrades and a pass by GWS just before us, our other two picks we are likely to use are effectively now four picks higher like having picks 59 & 60. Looking ok in what is touted as a deep draft.

The top end of the draft will throw up some sliders with GWS having the top three plus 12 & 14, Bulldogs having 5, 6 & 21 and with Adelaide's strange withdrawl, Collingwood now have 18, 19 & 20.

Could be a couple of surprise players still available for us at 22 that we expected to go much earlier.

Must watch TV tomorrow night now!

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast