Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Fixture

I think Melbourne supporters should expect a reasonable discount on their membership and if not then they are more than entitled to have a go at the club for not doing so. However the fact that there is only 4 games in Melbourne shouldn't be a that big an issue. It's not ideal and obviously the club doesn't want to alienate our traditional supporter base, but should it only be for this season I don't think its too much of a problem.

Think about all those other interstate supporters who have to travel to see a few extra games - its a bit like that. Fight prices to Sydney can be mighty cheap at times too remember and the SCG on a beautiful winter's day is a treat! Anyway our Melbourne supporters have been handed some cracking big ticket games and don't forget that the grannie is right on your doorstep. No $300 one way flights!

I might be wrong here, but the reason to move games again North and Saints could be that those games don't draw large crowds and they would hardly fill Etihad or MCG, so AFL is keener to move them to places like Tasmania or Canberra, where they have smaller stadiums.
    Also, the whole fixture is probably very influenced by Ch7 as well to draw maximum crowd in front of a TV. Expect this year for attendance to drop in general. Times are set to please broadcasters not club members.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by DLBIA14 View Post
    Anyway our Melbourne supporters have been handed some cracking big ticket games
    This. As dissappointed as I am about only four games in Melbourne, the fact that one of them is against Hawthorn and one is a Friday night against Collingwood (both at the MCG) eases the pain a little. These two are set to be huge games.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Zlatorog View Post
    I might be wrong here, but the reason to move games again North and Saints could be that those games don't draw large crowds and they would hardly fill Etihad or MCG, so AFL is keener to move them to places like Tasmania or Canberra, where they have smaller stadiums.
    Also, the whole fixture is probably very influenced by Ch7 as well to draw maximum crowd in front of a TV. Expect this year for attendance to drop in general. Times are set to please broadcasters not club members.
    But you'd think that North and the Saints would draw larger crowds at Ethihad against the Swans than they would against any other non-Victorian side. If those clubs can't survive on home crowds bolstered by 8-10k Bloods supporters, it must be time to question their relevance in the competition, especially as Melbourne based sides.

As I mentioned earlier when north play I reckon we get pretty close to evens on fans, particularly when we are travelling well and they aren't. Saints usually draw a better crowd - maybe ten thousand more so its usually more 2:1. Melbourne is the other mob we usually run pretty close to.

As for the four games in melb issue - well basically we started with 11 then it was 7-9 for most of the 90s and then the melb sides started to play their away games at the scg or Canberra - which is great for you Sydney fans but shocking for us. Lets put it this way - you miss one game and its less than 10 per cent of the opportunities you have to see them - which is fine because you have limited competition in this code. For us it is bigger and if you are trying to keep your kids in red and white and not yellow and black it becomes harder. If we miss one it is 25 per cent. It's pretty major. My kids have a lot of peer pressure to support someone else and if they do I will be invariably going there until they are old enough to go by themselves.

Us and to a lesser extent Brisbane are the only real two city teams and it is very disappointing that the afl don't do more to recognise this.

Veteran Site Admin
    I am especially excited by rounds 11-13. Back-to-back games in Adelaide presents a splendid opportunity to take a few weeks annual leave to spend in lovely Adelaide, taking in two games and with no need to waste money on a return flight back to Sydney. The bye in the middle provides an extra week to sample the delights of Rundle Mall. I'll have to see if I can find a life size inflatable Kurt Tippett to take with me to accompany me as I stroll down the mall and through the lovely parklands that Adelaide has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I am especially excited by rounds 11-13. Back-to-back games in Adelaide presents a splendid opportunity to take a few weeks annual leave to spend in lovely Adelaide, taking in two games and with no need to waste money on a return flight back to Sydney. The bye in the middle provides an extra week to sample the delights of Rundle Mall. I'll have to see if I can find a life size inflatable Kurt Tippett to take with me to accompany me as I stroll down the mall and through the lovely parklands that Adelaide has to offer.
    All jokes aside, you could have a holiday of a lifetime spending two weeks in South Australia. Crows fans are a bit much but I've had some grand times checking out the natural beauty and produce of the state.

I'll have to see if I can find a life size inflatable Kurt Tippett to take with me to accompany me as I stroll down the mall and through the lovely parklands that Adelaide has to offer.
    Have you ever thought about life in a barrel Liz?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    All jokes aside, you could have a holiday of a lifetime spending two weeks in South Australia. Crows fans are a bit much but I've had some grand times checking out the natural beauty and produce of the state.
    The key here is that you've said South Australia, not Adelaide.

Quote Originally Posted by swannymum View Post
    Yes, but if you take 1? hours at least to get to Southern Cross station in the first place, then have to travel to Geelong, to fight for the few tickets, that cost more than they should, to be outnumbered a zillion to one by heckling Cats fans, it is not worth the effort. If you opt to take the car it takes a helluva long time to even get out of the car park. It is the steady erosion of the opportunity to see our boys LIVE is the problem.
    Exactly.^

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I predict you'll be seeking a trade "home" at the earliest opportunity.

I like the draw because it eliminates most of those weird Sunday twilight games in Melbourne we had last year.
    Disappointed we are playing North in Launceston. I like playing them at Etihad as we ALWAYS outnumber their fans altho' having seen the fabulous Tassie Swans contingent this year in Round 5 I expect we will again hold sway. Home away from home.
    Glad we have Eagles at Subi too.

The North game is in Hobart rather than Launceston.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast