Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Rookie draft / pre-season draft

Here's the link to the Seaby story. He's back to the west coast, not the West Coast.

No Eagles return for Seaby - The West Australian
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

The drafting criteria seems to have dramatically changed this year. Obviously, a lot more research has been done on player characteristics other than talent alone. There have been so many surprises in both drafts this year. Lots of mature agers, where more is known about the player. Paul Roos often spoke about the lottery of drafting 18 year olds. A lot of risk has gone out of the drafts this year.

We must have had Jake Lloyd on our radar for some time, as his name has never come up in any discussion anywhere. You would have to think that there is something pretty good about him to land a spot with us given the depth of talent we have. Look forward to hearing from Beatson or Longmire on the decision.

There were a few very highly rated players without known 'issues' ala Dayle Garlett, that didn't get picked up. Yet so many unknowns that did.

I think we did very well this year, as did Collingwood. The 2 big winners in this post-season IMO.

woops Richardsthat should have been VFL not SANFL for Richards. He did very well in the second hlaf of the season apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    When did this happen?
    Should have been VFL He was promoted to Sandringham Zebras and played pretty well from all reports. Sorry got carried away with SANFL with Tippet saga and all.

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Should have been VFL He was promoted to Sandringham Zebras and played pretty well from all reports. Sorry got carried away with SANFL with Tippet saga and all.

You mean you got a SANFL today ?
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyRayCypress View Post
    You mean you got a SANFL today ?
    They do and they still own AAMI Stadium BRC. Mind you there is some talk of redeveloping the stadium again after the completion of work on the Adelaide oval to bring it into the 21st century. The capacity of 51,000 is just a bit small and the original plan was for an 88,000 stadium. The original structure was built to be added onto and new additions to stands can go up to three levels. At present only one side is three tiered. So yes they do exist and so do the VFL/VFA

I think we are in for a pretty damned good era at the Swans!!! By the way we will beat the two SANFL Clubs, Adelaide & Port this year, Tippett or no Tippett.

Veterans List
    88,000 capacity. They wouldn't get that many if it was free entry and the pies 50c.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Sydney extended the family links of two players, by recruiting Xavier Richards, the brother of Ted, and Brandon Jack, the brother of Kieran.

Read more: Tippett a Swan, as Prismall, Garlett ignored

Happy to see this.
    Also happy to see Brett Goodes get a go at the dogs... picked up at 28 - whoda thought?
    Yep, it's great to see the 2 brothers join us. Will be interesting to see their development.

I can only imagine Annie if we'd had 2 Goodseys at the club. You'd have heart palpitations.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    I wouldn't trust a Balfours Pie. The Crows supporting pastry chef probably spits in them now...
    Villi's are much better pies and the pasties are to die for.

I just had a look at footage of the newbies and I remember big Sam taking the crumb off the other ruckman's tap and kicking that ball to the Spang. Rampe and Robinson were impressive in their games in the Two's, I was wondering who that kid, #56 was and now I know. Lloyd seems your typical rover opportunist type. Richards is really built and a very strong mark and looks an almost ready prospect, he is really strong, a bit like Stephen Silvagni. No footage of Jack but I have seen him a few times and he looks to be developing nicely and will benefit from training full time with the seniors.

Veterans List
    Didn't see any reference to Lewis Broome in this discussion - do I take it he faded away later in the season? Great news on Jack & Richards Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Yep, it's great to see the 2 brothers join us. Will be interesting to see their development.

I can only imagine Annie if we'd had 2 Goodseys at the club. You'd have heart palpitations.
    I would have died and gone to footy heaven!!
    I was REALLY hoping they'd picked up Brett last year or the year before. He's been trying soooooooooooooo hard for soooooooooooooo long.
    I met him at the 2011 b&f ... hung out with him at the Cargo Lounge afterwards for quite a while.
    Poor love, he lives in Adam's shadow. It's been a long slog for him.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Didn't see any reference to Lewis Broome in this discussion - do I take it he faded away later in the season? Great news on Jack & Richards Jr.
    When he wasn't invited to train with us it was pretty clear we wouldn't be grabbing him. That said, I hope he sticks around and has a crack for next year.