Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A gripping story

Blog Entries

A gripping story

As a result of an investigative report conducted by RMIT University and the AFL, and given to Fairfax Media, the league has found six types of gloves with greater silicon on the palm provided players with an unfair advantage.
    Three of these were made by sports behemoth Nike, the brand used by Cloke. Nike's three banned gloves are the Vaporjet 2.0 Football Receiver, the Magnigrip Elite Remix 2.0 and the Superbad.
    Advertisement
    The Under Armour Blur II, Ironclad Box Handler Safety and Gilbert Rugby gloves were also rejected. Lynch has used an Ironclad glove.

Lynch became somewhat of a cult hero in his time with West Coast because of his penchant for removing his glove when having set shots at goal. Geelong forward James Podsiadly, Melbourne's Chris Dawes and Sydney ruckman Mike Pyke have also regularly worn a glove.
    Read more: Gloves off as players lose grip

I thought this was going to be just another Libba story. Good to see it's more interesting then that...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Veterans List
    Derrrrr, I never understood why grippy gloves were allowed in the first place so this investigation is well overdue.

Maybe they should make a rule that if you wear a glove then it must be left on when kicking for goal. That way you can have an overly sticky glove to help you mark the ball but it also affects ball drop when kicking for goal.

That stops players putting an approved glove label onto a disallowed glove which I'm sure will be the temptation!

Senior Player
    Ban them all together. If it's an injury stay off the park until you are fit.

Senior Player
    Comments so far include:

How does wearing any glove give an unfair advantage to the 10 players who do it regularly? Are the other 386 players playing each week not allowed to wear gloves?
    and:

How can it be an unfair advantage if everyone can wear them? That's a choice.
    Exactly.

Are either of those comments signed 'Lance Armstrong'??..
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Long Term Injury List
    Quote Originally Posted by magic.merkin View Post
    Ban them all together. If it's an injury stay off the park until you are fit.
    Goodsey has worn a glove at various times through the years ( even early in 2012 I believe) to protect his much bandaged hands. You want him off the park as well??!

Make them wear boxing gloves lol
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Veteran Site Admin
    I don't see a problem given it is an option available to all players.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by baskin View Post
    Goodsey has worn a glove at various times through the years ( even early in 2012 I believe) to protect his much bandaged hands. You want him off the park as well??!
    sure.

i don't see how they are allowed. Where do we draw the line? Whether the argument is for injuy protection or grip. One I see as advantage for the sake of it, the other could open up to a host of other aids to help players to play injured.

Re: A gripping story

Quote Originally Posted by magic.merkin View Post
    sure.

i don't see how they are allowed. Where do we draw the line? Whether the argument is for injuy protection or grip. One I see as advantage for the sake of it, the other could open up to a host of other aids to help players to play injured.
    Like strapping on a knee, pain killing injections, headgear etc etc

All the AFL have to so is sanction what gloves can be worn for protection and ban the ones designed specifically for grip.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Veterans List
    Clearly Cloke has used the glove for marking purposes. Then takes it off when kicking for goal. If a player wears a glove then it stays on when he kicks for goal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast