Page 1 of 117 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Whispers / Rumours and Confirmations

Trade Whispers / Rumours and Confirmations

Silly season is upon us.

I now think Mummy will go unfortunately as he is still unsigned.

Would we / should we take Heath Shaw? Looks like he and the Pies have parted ways?

Will we keep White?

All rumours and facts in this thread...
    Swannies for life!

Story just went up on AFL.com that Heath Shaw and Collingwood have agreed to look for a suitable trade. Given:

1. Rhyce's age and injury this year;
    2. Our lack of speed off half-back in his absence;
    3. The developing (though promising) nature, and therefore riskiness of Biggs;
    4. The lack of depth options in that area; and
    5. Jude talking him up as a potential Swans player;

I'd be surprised if we don't at least have a discussion with him. I'm sure the Swans are confident that they can sort out his attitude issues. He'd probably be keen with Rhyce's success in a city with nice weather and no Melbourne media.

Mumford is the obvious trade and already seems to have one foot out the door going by his statements. Others more versed in these matters might be able to comment on what else would be involved in the trade.

As an aside, I can't believe he got suspended for striking Ballantyne! Surely there must be a medal for that? If we do trade for him, there should be a bonus clause in his contract for this

My feeling is that Jesse will stay. Seems close to the players, is loving his footy, is loving the role he's been playing, seems to have gained Longmire's respect (and a fair few others) and has just engaged Jude Bolton as his manager. I couldn't see anyone engaging Jude to find a way out of the Swans!

A player like H Shaw is exactly what we need assuming the price is not too great and he can absorb the bloods ethos.

Suspended by the MRP
    If we had enough money we could as an option get Heath Shaw and Darren Jolly for Shane Mumford and a late pick!

Would shore up the ruck division until Nasmith is ready!

Goes up to 11
    I'd entertain the thought of H Shaw if the price is right.

As for Jolly? No thanks.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Thomas would be a better target from collingwood.

Jolly can retire. Would be hilarious if he ended up at gws though. He's not welcome back here.

I didn't know Jesse engaged Jude as his manager. I am sure you are right DK about Jesse staying.

Mummy for Shaw seems a fair straight swap to me (but would prefer a 1st round pick). If White does stay on and plays CHF, then I think a Shaw trade would give us a back six of:

Johnson Richards Rampe
    H. Shaw Reid Malceski

Getting a right foot kick for a small defender helps the balance a bit. It looks a very solid back six with plenty of run off the backline.

The questions would be:
    1. What to do with Rhyce. Hard to see where he fits. Maybe he does retire. Would be funny if his brother forces him into retirement.
    2. Does Smith move to the midfield, possibly becoming a midfield run with player. I think he is looking for a change anyway. I can see a role for him going head to head with players like Sidebottom and Delidio. Smith is not a bad attacking player when he doesn't have that lock down responsibility. In a bit of a domino effect, such a move would take up a slot for one of the younger emerging midfielders. Hard to see Jed getting a game.
    3. What would this mean for the futures of Biggs and Armstrong? Doesn't look like much room for a small defender for the next 3 years.

The big negative for me is the knock-on effect that Shaw would have regarding opportunities for younger players. It would seem to force Lamb and probably either Armstrong or Biggs out of the side. Many would say Armstrong is no big loss, but he does bring some valuable skills and is young enough to fix up his weaknesses. He finished the season on a high note in the reserves.

- - - Updated - - -

Jolly has already been delisted, so he doesn't have to be part of a trade.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    I think Armstrong has done his dash and should be traded or cut. Best case for him is more time in Canberra. For a player with his experience to be left out with the number of injuries we had was telling. Papers are stamped.

Watching Biggs ply his trade it seems strange Eski wasn't given a few weeks rest through the season. The prelim seemed a bit overwhelming for biggs but on the whole he looked like he belonged.

Suspended by the MRP
    If the Swans and Jolly wanted each other, could the Swans ask Collingwood to throw him into a deal with Heath Shaw for no extra cost! I.e Mumford for Jolly and Heath Shaw?

Really good pointy about resting Eski but i guess at that stage they didnt think Biggs was up for it, alot are talking about players being pushed out but with a full fit list i think you will see more and more list management and everyone will have their fair share of footy.

In coming years it will be more apparent that you need at least 30 fit players all playing their part through out the season, of course it will cause headaches come finals time if everyone is fit but to me that just adds more fuel to the argument that every player who has played seniors during a year should get a premiership medal if their team wins the flag. We have such depth in alot of areas that i really can see us taking this to a whole new level.

geee i keep swinging side to side on the idea of Heath joining the Swans

we do need speed off the HBF but could you honestly imagine Heath in the backline kicking out against freeo on the wknd ?

he has sub standard kicking but he can certainly match up well on smalls and med height attackers one on one

the irony is that his style of play is probably what we need in 2014 if we believe we have still an opportunity to peak for a GF series
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by On-Baller View Post
    Really good pointy about resting Eski but i guess at that stage they didnt think Biggs was up for it, alot are talking about players being pushed out but with a full fit list i think you will see more and more list management and everyone will have their fair share of footy.

In coming years it will be more apparent that you need at least 30 fit players all playing their part through out the season, of course it will cause headaches come finals time if everyone is fit but to me that just adds more fuel to the argument that every player who has played seniors during a year should get a premiership medal if their team wins the flag. We have such depth in alot of areas that i really can see us taking this to a whole new level.
    Exactly what I was thinking. 'Best 22' is sooooo 2012...

Page 1 of 117 123451151101 ... LastLast