Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: NAB Cup: Sydney Swans v Carlton Blues v GWS Giants - team list and match discussion

The headline says it all: Longmire looking for positives
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Having watched a few NAB Cup games in the past week, every team seemed to have untried players looking like they deserve an AFL debut. Some were outstanding.

The worry for me out of our matches yesterday, and I'm sure it's worrying the coaches, is that not one untried player for us looked to be deserving of a start in the seniors. That is a worry given our lack of experienced depth and still a few flag players getting over injuries.

Carlton and GWS were far from full strength as well.
    Carlton were a lot closer to full strength than us. They had 6-7 more regulars playing than we did. It's easier for new players to look good and feel confident with a few more seniors around them.

The sky isn't falling just yet.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    It was certainly painful to watch. I think we can tell how much the coaching staff cared about the results by the very small number of players we used. We know some are injured, but not Kennedy, Pyke, Jetta, Jude, LRT, Eski. Still, the games show there is a lot of work to do before the season starts.

Agree with Nico that the 'contact below the knees' rule needs a bit of tweaking. Fully understand why they have introduced this - if we can stop another player suffering a broken leg like Rohan all will be well. But the umpires need to learn to distinguish between something that is dangerous to the standing player and a player just putting their head over the ball. To be fair to the umpires, it is a new rule for them too, so they might take a bit of time to get the balance right.

We know what the likes of Ted, Macca and ROK can do. And they generally did it OK tonight. My main positive was probably Armstrong, who injected himself well into the games and showed he could break the lines.
    I don't know what the free kick count has been in the NAB Cup so far, but it seems there have been a lot of very technical frees given in games I have watched. The one I do like is where a player comes in front on over a player on the ground and gets them high, after another opponent is already trying to hold the ball under the player for a free. Trouble is it appeared they just paid a free regardless if the contact was high. As you said Liz the umpires have to get these rules correct most of the time and it is fair to give them time, but these rules are going to be open to a hell of a lot of criticism and I can see umpires getting caned for favouring one team, and it will be the team that goes hard at it that cops it. Any guesses as to who one of those teams is? I can also see that they are trying to reduce concussions, but I havent seen a lot of players left lying on the ground after a pack is cleared in my more than 50 years watching the game.

A more intelligent comment that came from the waffle of a commentary was;" that a club like us needs to keep improving and it was good to see Armstrong step up and show that he can have a place in the side, given few premiers in the next season keep the same side, and would have more than 3 new players going into the next seasons finals". I reckon we can add Cunningham to that.

Has anyone else noticed the way footy commentary has started the season? They just talk all through the game. If it continues it will be like listening to the cricket. Watching the EPL games this season they might as well be in the pub. They just talk adnausium during the game about nothing. A recent game between Liverpool and West Brom was a waffle fest about Liverpool with the assumption they will slot a couple of goals and ho hum. Guess what; they came to life when West Brom went ahead in the second half then scored again. It was almost; they cant do that, how dare they!

By the way did we all watch the half time quiz when Frawley beat Brereton. Brereton was not happy when Danny got ahead and quickly lost interest. What a flog.

For those who missed it (as I did), here is Jesse's goal.

One-two, then super White drills it - AFL - YouTube

I only saw a little bit of the first game and found it frustrating that they just couldn't get going at all. While the Blues seemed to show a lot of energy, we didn't. Even more disappointing was the commentary. It seemed that only our established players got a mention in the call. Everytime an unfamiliar face in red and white went neatr the ball they were not mentioned. While I learn these new faces and numbers, it would have been good to know who it was getting involved.

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    I think Jesse's new nickname should be "Burlesque". Hardly ever shows anything but when he finally does, it's pretty good.

I missed the game yesterday as I am house minding my ex in-laws place and they don't have foxtel. Listened to the SEN cover on the AFL app and both Swans games sounded like a premiership hangover.

I have the games on IQ so will watch next weekend. Terry Wallace gave it to the Swans for their poor ball skills.

Certainly Rounds 1 and 2 will give a true indication. I don't think that GWS will be easy in Round 1.
    Last edited by BillyRayCypress; 25th February 2013 at 01:01 PM.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post

One-two, then super White drills it - AFL - YouTube
    That and the goal up the other end of the ground by one of the newbies were the only real highlights of that game.

Our blokes were just not ready to play full stop. However, in the tradition of Roosy, it's the NAB cup and does anyone really care?
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Our blokes were just not ready to play full stop. However, in the tradition of Roosy, it's the NAB cup and does anyone really care? The boys need some game time and got it. We may well struggle early in hte season being a month behind the non finals sides training wise, but we'll build and thre is a fair bit of talent to come back in
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    That and the goal up the other end of the ground by one of the newbies were the only real highlights of that game.
    would the other goal be Dean Towers goal be chance? towers wasn't too bad but justr needs to attack the ball a bit harder.

We don't take this very seriously and it showed. We were pretty pathetic in both games. to be honest I think our preparation is further behind than our coaches thought. Winning the Premiership certainly has its drawbacks the season after, like starting preparation way after the other sides. The fitness staff will start to accelerate the fitness regime in the coming weeks. It was obvious our blokes were underdone by the way they were sucking in the air. I was right on the boundary near the interchange and our blokes were puffed while GWS boys hardly puffed at all.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    would the other goal be Dean Towers goal be chance? towers wasn't too bad but justr needs to attack the ball a bit harder.
    I think it was Towers.
    Goodes had a big smile on his face, and even Dermie said "There is the future there."

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast