Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Melbourne media at it again!!!

i think it irks everyone how biased the commentry is , personally i can't wait till we play carlton so we can give them a good shellacking - not because i hate carlton but primarily because of malthouse, he never has given us one once of respect and i bet our players haven't forgotten what he had to say about us last season..for what it is worth i believe most of the clubs have enormous respect for the swans and the uncompromising way they play,so you never hear stupid comments from them..i think certainly we fill a top 4 spot the others i rate are hawthorn, geelong and essendon with possibly the tigers fighting out the last spot..having said that i would not swap our team for anyone else..we are an enormous chance to go back to back

Just wild about Harry
    Maybe I'm just getting old, but reporters like Caro and Robbo are now celebrities when their forte is purely gossip and rumour instead of the actual game. If you look at all of their articles, it is about scandal, etc and nearly always negative. Now I'm not so stupid as to not know what sells newspapers, but I know that if it is an article that is written by these guys then it wont be about football, it will be about scandal. Football reporting? No. Social reporting? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    Maybe I'm just getting old, but reporters like Caro and Robbo are now celebrities when their forte is purely gossip and rumour instead of the actual game. If you look at all of their articles, it is about scandal, etc and nearly always negative. Now I'm not so stupid as to not know what sells newspapers, but I know that if it is an article that is written by these guys then it wont be about football, it will be about scandal. Football reporting? No. Social reporting? Yes.
    I must be getting old too, Dosser, because that's how it seems to me too...headlines and big statements.

I like listening to Luke Darcy, Tom Harley and Gerard Healy because they're more analytical and thoughtfull and not so 'hype'.

Tom Harley is the head of NSW/ACT footy up here and he is winning us over with his quiet and considered manner

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    I'll defend Caro here. A pioneer of women in sports reporting and many a good yarn over the years. Well connected. Not always to taste of all and has been been off target and Melbourne centric over the years but not the worst reporter getting around.
    I think you have missed the point of my (and several other) posts. To say that Caro is in "sports reporting" is a very charitable view of what she does. She is a gossip reporter. She actually knows f all about the sport of football itself.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Tangentially related, but I came across this article courtesy of a friend who will be known to a few of you on this board. I think it sums up perfectly why the Swans are a perennially underrated team.

The greatest trick the devil pulled...

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist," said Kevin Spacey. The Swans do a pretty good AFL variation.

Quote Originally Posted by Xie Shan View Post
    Tangentially related, but I came across this article courtesy of a friend who will be known to a few of you on this board. I think it sums up perfectly why the Swans are a perennially underrated team.

Great article. Thanks for posting. I'm bookmarking that site for future reference.

Great article. He mentioned a few good things. One being how content we are to downplay ourselves. Horse is an underrated genius at this. He's so decidedly humble about our capabilities and efforts; anytime we do anything impressive he'll downplay it then bring up all the @@@@ty stuff in between. We could be playing a bumbling Melbourne next week and he'll still be reeling off lines about how we have to make sure we prepare ourselves to face a good challenge. .

The article is a bit self-fulfilling though. He mentions how much the Swans are spoken down of and then amongst complementing us he writes: 'Whilst good (and acknowledging Lewis Jetta's dynamic impact on Sydney's attack) the Swans are not renowned as an exhilarating unit. Their great strengths are their consistency and resolve, meaning their worst is rarely abysmal even if their best falls short of euphoric.'

I'm calling it now; it's bull@@@@. This notion of us winning a premiership becasue of effort and all these intangibles beyond talent - eugh, spare me. I love it when supporters of other teams go 'oh well Sydney won a premiership with all these average players, if only our boys tackled harder and had a better culture we could do the same thing.' It's complete bull. Our defense is the best in the league and our midfield would be top 3 at least. We have a bloody good list. We have a great attitude to defense, and our culture is enviable, but we wouldn't be anywhere without the obvious talent of our players.

Oh and our best last year was euphoric. Spine-tingling, exhilarating, 'you just don't see a better grand final than that' euphoric.

Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    Great article. Thanks for posting. I'm bookmarking that site for future reference.
    Me too. Whodathortit!
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    I think she gets run into the ground often because she regularly gives opinions that people dont like - printing inside info on clubs that are male dominated puts her in an akward position.

Compare her to simple gossip monger Craig Hutchison as an example who rarely gets any negative attention.

As mentioned previously she gets her sources right and is not afraid to give an opinion. By giving it to Lloyd she gets a happy stamp from me.
    Craig Huchison rarely gets anything right. But then again the clubs feed him bull@@@@ because they know where he is coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by Xie Shan View Post

A very good and concise article. Well researched and organised.

Best article I have read for ages...well written,incisive,organised...who is this person??? Thanks Xie Shan
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

Watch them right us off after our first loss!!!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast