Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans Scarf Etiquette

Swans Scarf Etiquette

A Community Service Announcement

This is a timely reminder, with the finals looming and all as to what is and what is not acceptable with regards to the dangling of one's scarf out the car window.

Now in 2006 as I was heading down the Hume for the Grand Final - a car sped by and they had their Swans scarf dangling out the window!!!!! imagine my horror upon seeing this - I was suddenly feeling quite ill and worried that this action would put the mockers on us and my discomfort in the end was well founded as we all know what the result that weekend was!!!

The Scarf is only to be dangled out the window after a victory, to fly it out the window before a game is just asking for trouble.

On the other side of the coin, I also experienced this when I was away the day we played Hawthorn a few weeks back - there was some clown driving around before the game with a Hawks scarf hanging out the window - I knew then and there that they would lose. So it goes either way.

Some may think I'm being a right nutter (actually you are probably justified in thinking that)!) - but mark my words its true.

So I beg you all - resist the temptation to dangle the Scarf out the car window prior to a match - this will assist in creating the good vibe and when we have tasted victory once again - dangle that baby out the window with pride and enjoy every second of hearing it flapping on the side of the car as you go along.

Perhaps the Club (Larissa & Jenny take note) could issue a directive to all the members!

Thank you for your attention.
    Last edited by Wardy; 27th August 2010 at 03:30 PM.
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

Wardy, I promise to keep my pre-game dangle under control. However when full time blows, I'll be dangling fiercely !!!!!!
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Nice to see Wardys work condones drinking after lunch time on a Friday.

Solution: Everyone grab a Lions scarf and hang it out the window. 10 goal win assured.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    Wardy, I promise to keep my pre-game dangle under control. However when full time blows, I'll be dangling fiercely !!!!!!
    Show off!!!
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Nice to see Wardys work condones drinking after lunch time on a Friday.

Solution: Everyone grab a Lions scarf and hang it out the window. 10 goal win assured.
    And your problem with that is???

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    And your problem with that is???
    hehehe... nothing at all. I'm just jealous I have to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    hehehe... nothing at all. I'm just jealous I have to wait.
    It goes with the industry I'm in!! but alas I have not partaken of the grape today - in fact I lunched with Aussie Ange and I had mineral water - yes I know - livin on the edge!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    Keep up the good work Bas!!!

I haven't dangled since a hoon took offense....mine is just a little car.....and I have no intestinals to combat fearce glares, unless of course we win by a walloping margin.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Goes up to 11
    My own scarf etiquette is that my scarf will never be washed. I have had it since the early 90's and although its not too manky, there are pie stains etc and it has has its fair share of beer spillages. The beautiful polyester/nylon/whatever has gone all pilled too, but it has character and I love it.

I dont have a car so the dangling thingy is not an issue for me....

Barry Hall Hall provided a tutorial on the proper dangling of a scarf out the window. (Ahhh, what can replace the BHH?)

I can't remember the master's advice as to pre-game scarfage, but I would agree with Wardy on it being strictly a post-game occurence.

Following a victory, there were several categories, and essentially, the greater the win, the greater the length of scarf to be external to the vehicle. After a "shellacking", it could get downright dangerous for close vehicles and pedestrians!

Slight variation on the theme - there is a little row house on Driver Ave that has a 1st floor balcony railing covered in ivy, which in turn is covered by about 20 Swans scarves draped carefully in a row every SCG game day. I love seeing it on my way past. So far I have refrained from screaming "Go Swannies!" out the car window but the day is coming...
    Superman still wears Brett Kirk Pyjamas

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    My own scarf etiquette is that my scarf will never be washed. I have had it since the early 90's and although its not too manky, there are pie stains etc and it has has its fair share of beer spillages. The beautiful polyester/nylon/whatever has gone all pilled too, but it has character and I love it.

I dont have a car so the dangling thingy is not an issue for me....
    Agree with Wardy on the Scarf ettiquette. Never dangle before the game. The footy gods don't approve. After a win you must dangle!!

Personal scarf etiquette. I've got a scarf that I wore to to the 1970 and 1977 final. Hasn't been to a game since. Its all the fault of the scarf. So once a scarf becomes a significant loser its banished. I am in a dilemma with the one I wore to the 05 GF. I wore it to the 06 GF!!

(Slow Friday clearly)

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast