Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Changes for the North Melbourne game

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Anyone else unsure about LRT as the "3rd tall defender"?
    me

Not sure if he fits in the back line atm - pinch hitter maybe, however seemed out of place on the weekend. Hope his backman brain kicks in soon

Rod_

Goes up to 11
    Can't say I'm too confident about this game - for whatever that's worth. It will give us a good idea of where we're really at at the moment anyway. That said I think we are building nicely to peak at the end of September

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod_ View Post
    me

Not sure if he fits in the back line atm - pinch hitter maybe, however seemed out of place on the weekend. Hope his backman brain kicks in soon

Rod_
    I think he possibly fits (though he did look a little out of sorts on the weekend) but the defensive team needs to shift its activities around a bit. Ted's "relegation" to playing as the floating 3rd tall affects the role that Mattner plays. He was mostly fulfilling that role last year, with Johnson more playing on smaller, quicker players, and providing a bit of rebound. If they are going to persist with the current personnel in the back line, Mattner probably needs to shift the role he plays slightly and become a bit more offensive. We know he is capable of it - he was playing a generally more offensive role a couple of years back - but it might take some time to adjust.

The coaching team is going to, at some point, have to adjust to the fact that the players they think are the best 22 available may not always form the best 22 against a given opponent. This is most likely to be true in defence, which is the one part of the ground where team stability seems to matter the most. If we look forward to the Saints game, for example, they are currently playing with two genuine talls in Riewoldt and Maister, but then they have an unusually large number of small, quick players. Smith would probably take Milne, but then, within the current team, we will be made to look hapless against the combined forces of Milera, Schneider, Saad and / or TDL floating through the forward line. Similarly against a Collingwood team that lines up as it did last weekend, we would be exposed by the combination of Elliot, Sinclair, Blair (with Krakouer and Didak in the wings). Geelong have two genuine talls and, again, lots of quality small and very agile options. Against those teams you'd think there would only be spots for two out of LRT, Reg and Ted.

With the Saints, Geelong and Collingwood looming as opponents over the next month or so, lets hope that Rhyce's ailment is not too serious.

I think Rhyce's injury explains a lot about the weekend. We effectively lost our 'get out of jail free card' so there was a lot more pressure on the defence. LRT found himself in too many 'uncomfortable' situations. This week should be more suited to his strengths.

NM play a pretty standard setup with the 3 talls and Thomas & Adams as the small forwards, all of which we should cover with our present setup, even without Rhyce. Maybe Mal will do a bit more run and carry. There's no one quite like Shaw on the team (maybe Cunningham is Rhyce in training, but far too early to tell), so I don't think we should even try to slot in a like for like replacement. Shaw and Mattner are both over 30 and we should start looking at life without them; we have plenty of willing replacements that look capable. We should start easing the younger performing reserves players into the rotation, something that both Geelong and Collingwood have done very successfully in recent times.

I would go with the remaining 21 from last week; Bird coming into the starting team. And I would give Lamb a game in the vest. All the other candidates have already had a taste of senior football, and Lamb has worked hard to get into the group under consideration.

If Mummy doesn't play, then we have to make some tougher choices. Maybe we would just go with Pyke in the ruck and have Dre and LRT fill in when Petrie rucks.

PS: The few pieces of footage of Tom Mitchell in the ressies highlights were impressive. He moves like a senior player already. Good news on Gazza too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I think Rhyce's injury explains a lot about the weekend. We effectively lost our 'get out of jail free card' so there was a lot more pressure on the defence. LRT found himself in too many 'uncomfortable' situations. This week should be more suited to his strengths.

NM play a pretty standard setup with the 3 talls and Thomas & Adams as the small forwards, all of which we should cover with our present setup, even without Rhyce. Maybe Mal will do a bit more run and carry. There's no one quite like Shaw on the team (maybe Cunningham is Rhyce in training, but far too early to tell), so I don't think we should even try to slot in a like for like replacement. Shaw and Mattner are both over 30 and we should start looking at life without them; we have plenty of willing replacements that look capable. We should start easing the younger performing reserves players into the rotation, something that both Geelong and Collingwood have done very successfully in recent times.

I would go with the remaining 21 from last week; Bird coming into the starting team. And I would give Lamb a game in the vest. All the other candidates have already had a taste of senior football, and Lamb has worked hard to get into the group under consideration.

If Mummy doesn't play, then we have to make some tougher choices. Maybe we would just go with Pyke in the ruck and have Dre and LRT fill in when Petrie rucks.

PS: The few pieces of footage of Tom Mitchell in the ressies highlights were impressive. He moves like a senior player already. Good news on Gazza too.
    That is a pretty good summary of how I see it as well. This week will be a tough test if you ask me, North are not a bad team as well. Our recent record is very good against them however, and we are a very good travelling team recently.

And as for Tom Mitchell - I have little doubt that once his body is right and he gets the runs on the board in the ressies and forces his way into the first team picture, then he will quickly become a permanent feature in our engine room.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

You know what? Our major thought process atm should be "how good is AJ". We are going to miss him big time in 2013. I am not sure he is 21 yet. Kudos kiddo.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Is it just me or has this start of the season made it a bit less interesting in terms of my passion for my swannies? Hopefully my intensity lifts this week when we verse Norf! Versing GC and GWS hasn't made me as excited for this year as of yet. Anyone else?
    LRT. Lord Roberts-Thompson. He may look like the Munster, but looks can be deceiving.

2012 Bloods Premiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    You know what? Our major thought process atm should be "how good is AJ". We are going to miss him big time in 2013. I am not sure he is 21 yet. Kudos kiddo.
    I agree 100% about how good a player AJ is (Our next Ted). But thanks to the likes of LRT, we can cover for him well enough. I don't think our defence is diminished by having LRT instead of AJ. But we've used up our backup at the start of the season, so AJ would be sorely missed if any of Reg, Ted or LRT go down. So let's hope they stay healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by swanspant12 View Post
    Is it just me or has this start of the season made it a bit less interesting in terms of my passion for my swannies? Hopefully my intensity lifts this week when we verse Norf! Versing GC and GWS hasn't made me as excited for this year as of yet. Anyone else?
    I would think it quite normal to feel this way. It's a far cry from the Grand Final in both our performance and the quality of our opponents. You have to wonder if we can reach the intensity we showed in the Finals. But I'm feeling positive that we will build to very high standard of play and have another great year. There's a lot to look forward to in the development of the younger players, Gazza returning to play, Tippett coming into the team, Tom Mitchell's first game. Tim Membrey, etc. ........ That's my therapy for getting the excitement level up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I would think it quite normal to feel this way. It's a far cry from the Grand Final in both our performance and the quality of our opponents. You have to wonder if we can reach the intensity we showed in the Finals. But I'm feeling positive that we will build to very high standard of play and have another great year. There's a lot to look forward to in the development of the younger players, Gazza returning to play, Tippett coming into the team, Tom Mitchell's first game. Tim Membrey, etc. ........ That's my therapy for getting the excitement level up.
    Yeah good call. Geez im excited by Membrey. Has all the attributes to be a gun 3rd forward. Good dukes, clean below the knees, good pressure and a dead eye dick.
    LRT. Lord Roberts-Thompson. He may look like the Munster, but looks can be deceiving.

2012 Bloods Premiers.

Simple change if Shaw is the only casualty ....Bird in to the starting team.

Then either Morton or Armstrong as the sub, depending on which way they want to go.

If Mummy is out I wouldn't be surprised if White comes in, assuming he's fit.

I'd actually love to see that, he's supposedly had a really good preseason, and has played pretty well in the ruck the last two weeks.

Given we tried to trade him, it's only fair we give him one more go at the big time.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    It depends whether they think we need a big body (Rampe to return) or to match North's foot speed (Harry to return). If Rhyce doesn't come up, I'd go for Harry.
    Harry is not ready to play in defense in the AFL. He played more in the mids last week anyway. He was sent to defense to learn how to pick up his man. Who is playing well in the Two's? White is and should come in if Mummy doesn't come up. MM, Lamb, Harry, Tony A & Rampe all played well last week. So did Membrey, Biggs and Robinson, the latter two not eligible to play AFL level. Mitchell made his comeback and was ok for a first hit out, can't wait to see him match fit.

If both Mummy and Rhyce don't come up, Tony A and Jesse would be the first cabs off the rank.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast