Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rd.4 V The Cats

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    There is no point bringing in young kids if they are not ready yet, it will only destroy their confidence. Hawthorn and Geelong youngsters where obviously ready. But personally I am excited about Tom Mitchell, Jed Lamb and Alex Brown playing AFL football in the not too distant future. To play them now would be a mistake. Agree it is time to bring back Morton and maybe leave out Armstrong and give Bird a full run in the backline. Morton would likely be the sub.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    It's also true that this club isn't, presently, in the habit of handing out games for the sake of it.

We'll, no doubt, get our fair share of injuries as the season progresses.

Thats when the consistent standouts from the 2's will get their chance....
    Some misinterpretation here.

Obviously I wasn't suggesting that kids get given games when they're ready. That's just moronic.

The point I was making is that we haven't had many kids earn games over the last couple of years when rival teams have seemed to have quality kids force a few of the senior boys out. It's not about playing young ones for the sake of it, it's about have kids that demand it.

I'm not suggesting it's easy for them to push out senior players from a top 4 team, but clubs like Geelong do seem to find a few.

Goes up to 11
    We have been very lucky with injuries too - apart from Gazza last year we had relatively few injuries, and some ready made replacements in Seaby, Morton etc for players that missed games. Hence we didn't really need to blood too many younger players, and the two most likely in Jed and Mitchell are only now overcoming injury setbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    We don't want to lose a potential Craig Bolton? Although that may have happened last year with Campbell Heath. Also, look where the Blions are now. They have been in the relative wilderness ever since their glory days.
    I realise we should do everything we can to win another Premiership whilst we can, but we can also learn from other teams... mistakes seems too harsh a word ... but it is the best I can come up with.
    I think this is a good observation. It's a difficult balancing act when you have quality players in the reserves that can't get a game in the seniors, for whatever reason.

Once you're in the system for several years, if you can't get a senior spot, you have to move on (unless your name is Jesse White). Looking at the team now, it's hard to see Cambo getting a game, even though he's playing great footy for PA. But we knew he could play. We just didn't have anyone to drop to give him a spot, and the time for his now. We may have known for quite a long time that we were going to take Towers on our first pick, which would have made things even more difficult for Cambo.

Geelong and Collingwood usually have a couple of spots in the seniors for young players. I think it's a good policy that helps keep the team from going into the wilderness, as RogueSwan says. I am very much in favour of giving well performing reserves players a go in the seniors, especially against the weaker teams. Maybe this is not the week to do it, but i definitely think we should give Lamb a go against the Saints or Brissy. Add Morton, Rampe and White to list as well. Towers also looked good on the weekend.

Veterans List
    Last in, first out? So drop Luke Parker? Or drop the oldies like Jude and Goodes? Or cycle through some fringe players like Armstrong and Andreas? Or keep the kids in the 2s and wait for injuries - or them to request a trade?

Selection is a bugger.

Re: Changes for Rd.4 V The Cats

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    Last in, first out? So drop Luke Parker? Or drop the oldies like Jude and Goodes? Or cycle through some fringe players like Armstrong and Andreas? Or keep the kids in the 2s and wait for injuries - or them to request a trade?

Selection is a bugger.
    Solution: Rule Change to allow an extended 15 man bench.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

The Swans have a difficult balancing act with trying to redeem imported fringe players from other clubs like Bolton Mattner etc and developing mid range draft picks. I think I remember a Paul Roos quote to the effect that those sort of players (Bolton Mattner) are picked for specific purposes and the positions are theirs to lose. It certainly panned out well last year and could well do again. I'm not knowledgeable about ages and impending retirements but I think there are at least half a dozen champions tho, that might leave in a rush in the next year or two?

Warming the Bench
    everitt out shaw injured in anyone
    forgotten 1996
    2005 a much sweeter memory,2012 even better

On Reid, patience is called for. We've been indulged by ready made tall forwards for too long when it takes time to grow your own, certainly longer than mids and almost as long as rucks. I'm willing to wait for his very best and hope that homesickness and frustration don't drag him away before then. Reid on song for his 50th on Friday, just you see!

Selection time
    Armstrong keeping Shaw's spot warm is fine by me as big game experience can't be undervalued. Might be less sanguine if it was at Kardinia but at the SCG, he'll be on surer ground and the better for it.

Sub choice always gives me a headache. Impact player or ultra utility? Superweapon or injury shield? Either way, I doubt Bird in green for 3 games running so it'll come down to match-ups and game-time more than pure form.
    Personally, I'd like my Geelong mates to stop wimpering over Nick "Bloody" Davis and start bawling because of Mitch "Bloody" Moreton!

Quote Originally Posted by swanwolf View Post
    On Reid, patience is called for. We've been indulged by ready made tall forwards for too long when it takes time to grow your own, certainly longer than mids and almost as long as rucks. I'm willing to wait for his very best and hope that homesickness and frustration don't drag him away before then. Reid on song for his 50th on Friday, just you see!

Selection time
    Armstrong keeping Shaw's spot warm is fine by me as big game experience can't be undervalued. Might be less sanguine if it was at Kardinia but at the SCG, he'll be on surer ground and the better for it.

Sub choice always gives me a headache. Impact player or ultra utility? Superweapon or injury shield? Either way, I doubt Bird in green for 3 games running so it'll come down to match-ups and game-time more than pure form.
    Personally, I'd like my Geelong mates to stop wimpering over Nick "Bloody" Davis and start bawling because of Mitch "Bloody" Moreton!
    Agree with you all round.....But you don't have to worry about Reid leaving anytime soon....he's in the first year of a 5 year contract.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    Agree with you all round.....But you don't have to worry about Reid leaving anytime soon....he's in the first year of a 5 year contract.
    Contracts are only black and white until your player asks to be traded then ends up in the Black and White!
    Reid won't let us down, he'll stick by us as long as we support him.

Reid is developing exactly as I expected he would - in small steps

It is extremely rare that a 196cm forward 20/21yrs of his weight/age kills it week in week out......too skinny the first two seasons but now he is up to 96kg and stronger.........Bazza said around 24 yrs of age is when you should be expecting alot because that is the age he felt and also noticed in other key forwards that they could start to dominate their opposite number or numbers in many cases

he is performing a role and that role is to :

create a contest
    move key backs away from particular contests
    apply pressure to opposition counter attack
    and continue to grow and start delivering approx 40 goals plus per season from now on

we have designed our attack to have goals come form any player on the pitch hence it is not just kick it to Buddy and Buddy will do the rest

Buddy in his first two season kicked approx 25 goals per season and his third season was a break out 70 goals

Buddy is 26yrs old and played approx 160 games for 500 goals ie just over 3 a game

Buddy has played 8 seasons and Sam has played 2 full seasons ie 1 game only in 2010 and 3 games in 2013

Sam kicked:

2013 - so Sam is exactly on track the same as Buddy re goals UP TO his third season of football..........big difference was Buddy had his break out year in his third season ie 70 goals

2012 - 31 goals vs Buddy second season 31 goals

2011 - 22 goals vs Buddy first season 21 goals

2010 - Sam only played one game
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

out of interest

11 from 57 Hawthorn goals have come from Buddy in his 8th season - buddy is sitting on his average of 3 goals per game after only 3 games

2 from 53 Sydney goals have come from Sammy in his 3rd season - Sammy for me needs to be averaging 2 goals per game now in his 3rd season !
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast